• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My Fun Side Project - Alabama Coin & Exonumia

17 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, zadok said:

guess could add the stone mountain commemorative half with ala counterstamp, bit pricey though...

I haven’t seen one. I’ll definitely take a look. 

43 minutes ago, Fenntucky Mike said:

A good start to what will undoubtedly be an extensive set. (thumbsu Just wait until you dip your toe into scrip/obsolete notes. :devil:

I have debated on that. I’ve never dove into notes, but there are an extensive amount of Alabama banks with notes through the years. I’ve looked at several but need to read more before I take that plunge. 

7 hours ago, Woods020 said:

If anyone knows of other items

There is some Alabama Obsolete Currency sold on EBay but it's very expensive IMO.

Im sure they're very easy to find bit if your looking for.the state quarters I have the Alabama silver and class if your interested I'm trying to sell the state quarters by years so in that instance I would like to see at least all the 2003 states go along with Alabama, in silver and/or clad

5 hours ago, Just Bob said:

Alabama had at least two 1835 Hard Times Tokens LINK HERE

Also there was a Merchant Token from 1853, with 3 varieties LINK HERE

I will take a look at Rulau this evening, and see if I see anything else.

Thanks Bob!! Hard times tokens for sure aren’t something I’ve looked into. 

Here is what I found:

In addition to the two Hard Times (1832 - 1844) tokens above, there is another listed - E.& I. Bragaw,  from Mobile.

U.S. Merchant tokens (1845-1860): There is a B. FERGUSON of Huntsville counterstamped on a Peru 8-reales of 1838. There are also a lot more than three varieties of the Mobile token mentioned above. ALA 2 through ALA 6 are from 1853, and are the original medal in different metals. ALA 7 through 26C are mulings with at least six different reverses, of various metals. There are also other mulings known that Rulau does not list. All mulings were struck in or after 1860.

You have already mentioned the Civil War (1861 - 1865) token of White & Swann. There is known a unique Alabama Confederate ID tag counterstamped on an 1835(?) U.S. Large Cent. 

For U.S.Trade  tokens (1866 - 1889,): Bank Saloon,  and The Dude Saloon, both of Birmingham, J.M. Appling of Carbon Hill, J.L. Hartung of Eufaula, J.M. McRohan of Hayneville, B.M. Gregory, McLEan & Winter, and McMillan & Harrison of Mobile, C.L. Ruth of Montgomery, Tallapoosa Copper Reduction Co. of Tallapoosa, and Goldwaithe & Son of Troy. There is also a "Champion" counterstamped  1875 Seated Liberty half dollar listed as Birmingham.

The Gay 90s (1890 - 1900) section lists: Burnette & Florence, J.L. Chalifoux & Co., Huston Biscuit Co., Shelby Iron Co., from Birmingham; C.M. Jackson from Coosada;  T.C.I. & R.R.Co. from Ensley; Lake Lumber from Florala; and S.W. Reeves from Tuscaloosa.

10 minutes ago, Kristlewith8k said:

Im sure they're very easy to find bit if your looking for.the state quarters I have the Alabama silver and class if your interested I'm trying to sell the state quarters by years so in that instance I would like to see at least all the 2003 states go along with Alabama, in silver and/or clad

Thank you! I have the State Quarters and proofs in the set already. 

1 minute ago, Just Bob said:

Here is what I found:

In addition to the two Hard Times (1832 - 1844) tokens above, there is another listed - E.& I. Bragaw,  from Mobile.

U.S. Merchant tokens (1845-1860): There is a B. FERGUSON of Huntsville counterstamped on a Peru 8-reales of 1838. There are also a lot more than three varieties of the Mobile token mentioned above. ALA 2 through ALA 6 are from 1853, and are the original medal in different metals. ALA 7 through 26C are mulings with at least six different reverses, of various metals. There are also other mulings known that Rulau does not list. All mulings were struck in or after 1860.

You have already mentioned the Civil War (1861 - 1865) token of White & Swann. There is known a unique Alabama Confederate ID tag counterstamped on an 1835(?) U.S. Large Cent. 

For U.S.Trade  tokens (1866 - 1889,): Bank Saloon,  and The Dude Saloon, both of Birmingham, J.M. Appling of Carbon Hill, J.L. Hartung of Eufaula, J.M. McRohan of Hayneville, B.M. Gregory, McLEan & Winter, and McMillan & Harrison of Mobile, C.L. Ruth of Montgomery, Tallapoosa Copper Reduction Co. of Tallapoosa, and Goldwaithe & Son of Troy. There is also a "Champion" counterstamped  1875 Seated Liberty half dollar listed as Birmingham.

The Gay 90s (1890 - 1900) section lists: Burnette & Florence, J.L. Chalifoux & Co., Huston Biscuit Co., Shelby Iron Co., from Birmingham; C.M. Jackson from Coosada;  T.C.I. & R.R.Co. from Ensley; Lake Lumber from Florala; and S.W. Reeves from Tuscaloosa.

This is a huge help. I’ve got an album I’m putting together of trade tokens and this helps a lot. I recently found the book written by Wood that focuses specifically on Alabama trade tokens and scrip. I am most definitely going to add the hard times tokens to the list for the set. 

For the mobile one, I’ve seen several that state they are from the mobile jockey club. But there is no indication on the token itself that states it was related to that club. I definitely need to do some reading on that subject. Apparently that club had several made through the years. 

I highly recommend you look at obsolete bank notes, they are always a very interesting source of material for local collections such as you describe. 

I also would recommend looking into merchant tokens and store cards. Here is one I found in an estate sale that I am prepping for sale. 

IMG_1902.thumb.JPG.540da8132735b500ac9dca2ee2d75709.JPGIMG_1903.thumb.JPG.a49729174ec2b1b2297c4864d27ea523.JPG

1 hour ago, physics-fan3.14 said:

I highly recommend you look at obsolete bank notes, they are always a very interesting source of material for local collections such as you describe. 

I also would recommend looking into merchant tokens and store cards. Here is one I found in an estate sale that I am prepping for sale. 

IMG_1902.thumb.JPG.540da8132735b500ac9dca2ee2d75709.JPGIMG_1903.thumb.JPG.a49729174ec2b1b2297c4864d27ea523.JPG

I have an album started on merchant tokens as well. Ironically I have this one already in the album. I’ve amassed quite a few but it’s a drop in the bucket as to what is out there. 

9A785FEF-A0CE-4135-A660-BD4FE48CB929.jpeg

EF83C049-B7AC-4702-B8E3-C87830549E84.jpeg

Edited by Woods020

3 hours ago, Woods020 said:

I have an album started on merchant tokens as well. Ironically I have this one already in the album. I’ve amassed quite a few but it’s a drop in the bucket as to what is out there. 

That is a really nice looking example, Woods. (thumbsu