• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What kind of error on 1967 5 Cents?
1 1

7 posts in this topic

Trying to figure out what type of error this is on the reverse of my 1967 5 cents down at the bottom edge. Also the grouping of three dots close to the right edge above the back end of the rabbit, error or dirt/plastic? It's not in very good condition, it was stored as a set in a cardboard holder with a plastic sleeve. The quarter has some serious green corrosion spots, I'm hoping acetone will clean it up. Any ideas? Thanks in advance. 

DSC04795.JPG

DSC04801.JPG

DSC04802.JPG

All I can really make out is what looks like maybe some drops of glue or something. It looks like more of whatever it is on the N and D of canada. Acetone will probably remove that. Not sure it will help the pvc on the quarter. 

I thought it may be glue or bits of the hardened plastic from the sleeve. Anyone know about what appears to be extra fill above the lettering, starting just above the second A and running along beneath the rabbit, or is that a very large die crack? And is there any way I can get rid of that nasty pvc without ruining the quarter?

Not exactly sure what it is but it is damage of some sort.

You can try soaking them in acetone for 24 hrs and see if it removes the spots but it would probably leave a mark. The quarter will probably only be worth the silver value if it is damaged in any way.

Agreed soak the coins in acetone and it should remove all the foreign matter, its possible that both coins might still show signs of the gunk that is on them depending on if or not the PVC and other stuff has eaten into the surface.

One thing I can tell you for certain. What you are looking at is absolutely NO KIND of error, period. That quarter, though, is a likely candidate for a nice long (covered, to avoid excess evaporation) acetone bath. 

Edited by VKurtB

Thanks so much for the sound advice. I'll try the acetone soak. And I'll take any other coins I have out of any similar holders. Hopefully it's not too late. 

I guess that line running along the bottom of the coin is just some kind of uneven wear or maybe the pvc ate right through it or something weird like that.