• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Congratulations We BROKE the mint!
2 2

74 posts in this topic

8 hours ago, gmarguli said:

Order 100 Christa McAuliffe or Law Enforcement commems and submit them bulk to either NGC or PCGS and I bet at least 40 of them come back 70. 

Most average joes don’t have money to buy 100 coins to send in bulk like that ... if I were to buy 1 alone raw myself and buy few more raw coins and send them in at same time big dealers are sending in bulk submissions chances of me get 70 on my one little measly coin is a long shot ...

if 40 of them do come back with 70 grade , why such high prices for something so common ? The average Joe now has to pay 3x-4x for a common coin with a 70 grade seems like a it becoming more common to get that grade only in big bulk submissions 

Edited by Jason Abshier

28 minutes ago, Jason Abshier said:

chances of me get 70 on my one little measly coin is a long shot ...

Not true. The V75 ASE grades at 70 77% (that's a low %, 80+ is more common) of the time from NGC, 2021 - BU, T-1 ASE's 67%. I find 75+% to be the norm for, proof and 60+% for BU ASE's in the last five years. I imagine the 2021 Morgan and Peace dollars will fall in that range as well, if not higher.

50 minutes ago, Fenntucky Mike said:

Not true. The V75 ASE grades at 70 77% (that's a low %, 80+ is more common) of the time from NGC, 2021 - BU, T-1 ASE's 67%. I find 75+% to be the norm for, proof and 60+% for BU ASE's in the last five years. I imagine the 2021 Morgan and Peace dollars will fall in that range as well, if not higher.

What % of that is based on early bird big load bulk shipping VS a guy bought one coin raw held on to it for a whole year then sends a few coin in every now and then ? 

3 minutes ago, Jason Abshier said:

What % of that is based on early bird big load bulk shipping VS a guy bought one coin raw held on to it for a whole year then sends a few coin in every now and then ? 

It doesn't seem to matter much, if at all, in my experience, a typical submission for me is 10-15 coins consisting of 5-8 different types of coins and those %'s have held true for me. Of course I don't submit every coin I get but I'm only holding back a few, like maybe 3 or 4 out of 20 and these are typically BU coins, if I include the coins I hold back the % is lower but not much. Proofs you have the same chance as everyone else, including the dealers, if you buy direct from the mint.

8 hours ago, Lem E said:

Looks like the next set of pre-orders for June 1st and 7th has been postponed. 

The US Mint is claiming a "global silver shortage"..  Then why can I buy as many private mint rounds or 100 ounce bars I want?

pinehurstcoins.com

SKU: 21842

2021 $5 Silver Canadian Maple Leaf 1 oz Brilliant Uncirculated

ALL BULLION ITEMS ARE FINAL SALE

Qty         Check or Wire    Credit Card

500 and up          $36.22       $37.31

Edited by Alex in PA.

5 hours ago, Jason Abshier said:

Most average joes don’t have money to buy 100 coins to send in bulk like that ... if I were to buy 1 alone raw myself and buy few more raw coins and send them in at same time big dealers are sending in bulk submissions chances of me get 70 on my one little measly coin is a long shot ...

if 40 of them do come back with 70 grade , why such high prices for something so common ? The average Joe now has to pay 3x-4x for a common coin with a 70 grade seems like a it becoming more common to get that grade only in big bulk submissions 

Have you submitted any modern coins to the TPG? I get 70s all the time when submitting a single example.

Given the loosened grading standards for a 70 and the near perfect quality coming from the Mints, a significant portion of coins will grade 70, regardless of whether you submit 1 or 1,000. 

1 hour ago, gmarguli said:

Have you submitted any modern coins to the TPG? I get 70s all the time when submitting a single example.

Lately I haven’t for last 6 years or so , but I do have a lot raw bullion I bought from while back along with some world coins and world silver bullion that I have to send in for grading 

On 5/28/2021 at 4:57 AM, Jason Abshier said:

why such high prices for something so common ?

Because coin collectors looking for 70's are suckers. That's why.

On 5/28/2021 at 10:49 AM, gmarguli said:

Given the loosened grading standards for a 70 and the near perfect quality coming from the Mints, a significant portion of coins will grade 70, regardless of whether you submit 1 or 1,000. 

Indeed. The outright MAJORITY of many newer items coming out of the "Numismatic Division" of the U.S. Mint are MS/PF 70's. Who says so? The Whitman MegaRed, for one. When they state that the AVERAGE grade is 69.8, what do you think that means? It means that even if there were NO 68's and lower, fully 80% of the coins submitted got 70's. This stuff is NOT rare or even moderately scarce. It's sucker bait. What's "scarce" is anything under a 69.

Edited by VKurtB

I was wondering why 325,000 2021w proofs sold like 30,000 2019s   Ase’s.  2020sasepf.    200,000 or so sold out like crazy but available slabbed cheap nowInflated rarity      Thanks just kinda makes sense 

2 hours ago, VKurtB said:

What's "scarce" is anything under a 69.

I knew a collector who was putting together a whole set of 68 graded ASE he told me it was definitely a challenge to find a 68 grade each year 

23 minutes ago, Jason Abshier said:

I knew a collector who was putting together a whole set of 68 graded ASE he told me it was definitely a challenge to find a 68 grade each year 

Easy for the earlier years; not so much lately.