• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is this a common occurrence on West Point Quarters?
1 1

13 posts in this topic

So, I was looking at my West Point Quarters under a microscope and noticed something weird on all of them.... They have incused doubling... Is this common? Or do I have something special? (I'm pretty doubtful). Here's the most extreme example I found in my collection... 

WIN_20210522_11_11_52_Pro.jpg.728794c1e509cf1892cba48c2fe321ea.jpgWIN_20210522_11_11_57_Pro.jpg.038b7f0dcd3f59370b36543f462f3df5.jpgWIN_20210522_11_15_44_Pro.jpg.aa1f89df0acea2f6e61149492bd5b861.jpgWIN_20210522_11_15_53_Pro.jpg.d2cbc313f4fc3a8b5cc20a73cc00216c.jpg

2 minutes ago, Greenstang said:

That is common MD.

I remember reading on another post that someone did a count and said that over 60% of the quarters that had reverse lettering had MD, so yes, it is common. 

Thank you so much! Good thing I didn't get my hopes up too high! :wink:

[INMHO, the days of finding the world's most sought after coin, the one, or even series, that have become a part of common folklore, are pretty much over.

If the mission to Mars, or some other planet inexplicably uncovers yet another variety of the storied 1804 dollar, the vast majority of hundreds of millions of Americans who are not collectors will not be interested in something they know little or nothing about.  Their only question wil be, How did it get there? -- and the armies of conspiracy theorists amongst us will be more that happy to offer suggestions.

3 minutes ago, Quintus Arrius said:

[INMHO, the days of finding the world's most sought after coin, the one, or even series, that have become a part of common folklore, are pretty much over.

If the mission to Mars, or some other planet inexplicably uncovers yet another variety of the storied 1804 dollar, the vast majority of hundreds of millions of Americans who are not collectors will not be interested in something they know little or nothing about.  Their only question wil be, How did it get there? -- and the armies of conspiracy theorists amongst us will be more that happy to offer suggestions.

I'm so confused... what does this have to do with the West Point Quarter? I suck at understanding comparisons

UrbanDecay4 -- Mechanical (or strike) doubling results from mechanical, operational and maintenance of presses and related equipment. It is common and neither adds nor detracts from the "value" of a coin. Sometimes, it can produce interesting results, as with 1921 Peace dollars that, at first glance, seem to have a doubled profile of Liberty.

Edited by RWB

Hey I’m new here and I’m with you but quarters on Mars and blah blah blah get off my lawn never gunna find anything ......... I will share with you a little something I’m learning hear. 1. Collect what you like. 2. Only wrong question is the one you don’t ask because someone with big words and a poor attitude is missing the title of this chat. “Newbie”. Welcome my friend 

2 hours ago, UrbanDecay4 said:

I'm so confused... what does this have to do with the West Point Quarter? I suck at understanding comparisons

Respectfully, re-read your initial post.  After using a microscope, you confirmed you found an anomaly which you reported to the membership at large, one of whom politely pointed out he had read, in effect, more such W quarters sport such damage (60%) then do not.  I lamented that fact by lamely pointing out every coin of any value has already been found, at least here on earth.

12 minutes ago, James Zyskowski said:

Hey I’m new here and I’m with you but quarters on Mars and blah blah blah get off my lawn never gunna find anything ......... I will share with you a little something I’m learning hear. 1. Collect what you like. 2. Only wrong question is the one you don’t ask because someone with big words and a poor attitude is missing the title of this chat. “Newbie”. Welcome my friend 

Your point is well-taken. 

7 minutes ago, Quintus Arrius said:

Respectfully, re-read your initial post.  After using a microscope, you confirmed you found an anomaly which you reported to the membership at large, one of whom politely pointed out he had read, in effect, more such W quarters sport such damage (60%) then do not.  I lamented that fact by lamely pointing out every coin of any value has already been found, at least here on earth.

Ah... I wasn't trying to be rude so I hope you didn't take it that way... I was genuinely confused and I asked what you meant... I now understand so thanks for the clarification

6 hours ago, UrbanDecay4 said:

I've found that it takes a while to get use QA's responses. xD