• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anyone else pumped for the 2021 Peace Dollar?
1 1

95 posts in this topic

On 5/26/2021 at 12:03 PM, Alex in PA. said:

No, that's not what I read.  By larger order; what do you mean.  Most could only order 5 of each which was the Mint set limit.  Some were saying they had two coins cancelled.  I don't know; didn't get any.

Mint limit was 10 of each, not 5...

1 hour ago, Treeman said:

I don't know; didn't get any.

Sorry about that.  You certainly weren't the only one.  Lots of those folks ATS either just got one or none.  In the past 30 years I only bought one Old San Francisco Dollar from them and, while disappointing Flip wise, was a nice coin.  Good luck on the second round.

1 hour ago, Treeman said:

Mint limit was 10 of each, not 5...

I'll bet you are correct.  I thought that it was 10 total; 5 of each.  Wonder how many folks got 10 of each?

2 hours ago, Alex in PA. said:

Good luck on the second round.

Respectfully, there won't be any for me.  I forgot why I left the Mint many years ago but their recent performance was a rude reminder.  If I want plenty of unprofessional business treatment, I can get that right here in New York City.

On 5/26/2021 at 10:35 PM, VKurtB said:

I spent my son’s entire childhood attempting to repair the damage inflicted on him by the public schools with malicious intent, IMO. 

Unfortunately I do not doubt this. In my school system if someone came out with a good education it was in spite of the system, not thanks to it.

On 5/26/2021 at 9:35 PM, VKurtB said:

This is PRECISELY why the younger generations will never gain the respect of us “Boomers”. I spent my son’s entire childhood attempting to repair the damage inflicted on him by the public schools with malicious intent, IMO. 

Well, I just almost completely do not appreciate that at all. I have listened to absolutely everything I have been told from all of you and totally stopped watching anything on YT about coins. Watch out, now... I am sure @Hoghead is the same way. 😉

3 hours ago, Sharann said:

Well, I just almost completely do not appreciate that at all. I have listened to absolutely everything I have been told from all of you and totally stopped watching anything on YT about coins. Watch out, now... I am sure @Hoghead is the same way. 😉

Yep. Sure am my good friend. 

6 hours ago, Sharann said:

Here’s my question: What ever possessed you to ever take YouTube videos to heart? Did you not understand the clickbait business model of YouTube? Did you not appreciate the societal value of the old media’s “editing function”? Did you not realize there are perfectly valid reasons to not let every “You” (and Me) to be on the “Tube”? I don’t have a need to celebrate amateurism, even if the presenter’s backward baseball cap is especially fetching. Credentials matter. Always have. Always will.

Edited by VKurtB

14 minutes ago, VKurtB said:

What ever possessed you to ever take YouTube videos to heart?

Boob Tube, oops, I mean You Tube, boasts 180 million subscribers.  At $12.00 per month that ain't chicken feed.  You can get 'Live Streaming' for $49.95 per month.  We could call it the VKurtB Coin Collecting Hour.  :roflmao:

9 hours ago, VKurtB said:

Here’s my question: What ever possessed you to ever take YouTube videos to heart? Did you not understand the clickbait business model of YouTube? Did you not appreciate the societal value of the old media’s “editing function”? Did you not realize there are perfectly valid reasons to not let every “You” (and Me) to be on the “Tube”? I don’t have a need to celebrate amateurism, even if the presenter’s backward baseball cap is especially fetching. Credentials matter. Always have. Always will.

What are your numismatic credentials? Not to pick an argument but that’s a funny statement to me. There is no formal certification process per se to demonstrate mastery. I’ve looked and am contemplating the ANA diploma program but that’s far from a true credential. Other than that there is research and/or authorship of reference material. Such publications would suffice in my opinion but I’m not aware of any you or most of us have written. So that leaves us with self proclaimed mastery from many years of collecting and reading. That hardly qualifies as a credential either because that could be the equivalent of a participation trophy for many years in the hobby.

So again what credential do you, or 99% of the people in this forum and hobby for that matter, possess? I completely concede I am new-ish, in your hated demographic, and still have a lifetime of learning ahead of me in numismatics. With that said the only credentials the vast majority have are self prescribed. 

However, your contributions to the hobby, in my observation thus far, are short retorts or condescending remarks to anyone who has a question. You somehow think it shows a mastery when ironically it shows the opposite. The truly expert among us answer questions with explanations and facts. Not that I have an issue with criticism whatsoever and am happy to learn from it. Unfortunately, it does little to progress the hobby or demonstrate your mastery of it when it’s all you offer. Those who deserve the utmost respect are those that can synthesize a question, no matter how ridiculous it may be, and give an accurate answer with factual context. That is a demonstrated mastery that I think is the best credential most experts in the hobby can present. 

Here is a quote to add to the list from a fellow from your home town:

“Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain and most fools do.”

Benjamin Franklin

4 hours ago, Woods020 said:

What are your numismatic credentials? Not to pick an argument but that’s a funny statement to me. There is no formal certification process per se to demonstrate mastery. I’ve looked and am contemplating the ANA diploma program but that’s far from a true credential. Other than that there is research and/or authorship of reference material. Such publications would suffice in my opinion but I’m not aware of any you or most of us have written. So that leaves us with self proclaimed mastery from many years of collecting and reading. That hardly qualifies as a credential either because that could be the equivalent of a participation trophy for many years in the hobby.

So again what credential do you, or 99% of the people in this forum and hobby for that matter, possess? I completely concede I am new-ish, in your hated demographic, and still have a lifetime of learning ahead of me in numismatics. With that said the only credentials the vast majority have are self prescribed. 

However, your contributions to the hobby, in my observation thus far, are short retorts or condescending remarks to anyone who has a question. You somehow think it shows a mastery when ironically it shows the opposite. The truly expert among us answer questions with explanations and facts. Not that I have an issue with criticism whatsoever and am happy to learn from it. Unfortunately, it does little to progress the hobby or demonstrate your mastery of it when it’s all you offer. Those who deserve the utmost respect are those that can synthesize a question, no matter how ridiculous it may be, and give an accurate answer with factual context. That is a demonstrated mastery that I think is the best credential most experts in the hobby can present. 

Here is a quote to add to the list from a fellow from your home town:

“Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain and most fools do.”

Benjamin Franklin

There are numerous accolades given me by the ANA and I have authored about 20 articles in numismatic publications, and given between 7-10 (I haven’t kept count) talks at ANA conventions, but no, you’re right, ZERO concentration on Internet stuff. I do have a “problem with” the culture of the Internet, admitted. I have disdain for the vast majority of it. Unfortunately, it is being jammed down our throats.

By the way, I don’t hate your demographic, rather I feel really sorry for it. You’ve been grossly miseducated by MY age peers and those slightly younger. 

Edited by VKurtB

11 hours ago, Sharann said:

to keep from pestering all of you with trivial questions. 

There is no such thing as a 'trivial' question.  Every question has it's own level of importance so just keep asking.  :bigsmile:

"Beware the lollipop of mediocrity; lick it once and you will suck forever" 

Benjamin Franklin

Edited by Alex in PA.

1 hour ago, Alex in PA. said:

There is no such thing as a 'trivial' question.  Every question has it's own level of importance so just keep asking.  :bigsmile:

Benjamin Franklin

You know what? I needed to hear that right at this moment for another aspect of my life. Thank you! It is absolutely the right quote I've been looking for. 👍

1 hour ago, Just Bob said:

I have a feeling Franklin was dead long before then.

I have this touch of Pennsylvania 'Hatchet Humor' that makes me attribute any saying, no matter how crazy, to Benjamin Franklin.  I'm sure the man doesn't deserve that; he was, aside from what's been written, a very good man and a true Pennsylvanian.

2 hours ago, Just Bob said:

Lollipops were invented in 1908, and the name wasn't trademarked until 1931. I have a feeling Franklin was dead long before then.

Amazing guy, Franklin. Incredible foresight. xD

1 hour ago, Alex in PA. said:

I have this touch of Pennsylvania 'Hatchet Humor' that makes me attribute any saying, no matter how crazy, to Benjamin Franklin.  I'm sure the man doesn't deserve that; he was, aside from what's been written, a very good man and a true Pennsylvanian.

Born in Boston, buried directly across the street from the Philadelphia Mint, on the south (right, as you look at the front) side. 

2 hours ago, Sharann said:

You know what? I needed to hear that right at this moment for another aspect of my life. Thank you! It is absolutely the right quote I've been looking for. 👍

heres another.....

"score....sharann 1 - vkurt 0 "

poor richard...

4 hours ago, Alex in PA. said:

Benjamin Franklin

This quote sounds more like Churchill.

1 hour ago, zadok said:

yep...wanted the turkey for the national emblem..

Some of the very early American coins how could you tell; eagle or Pennsylvania wild turkey?  Some would say it's a turkey buzzard.  :preach:

3 minutes ago, Alex in PA. said:

Some of the very early American coins how could you tell; eagle or Pennsylvania wild turkey?  Some would say it's a turkey buzzard.  :preach:

I prefer the Kentucky version of Wild Turkey, Longbranch variety.