• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Question on mint mark.

6 posts in this topic

I've been collecting for some time but my brother found this 1953 "?". I see PMD but the entire mint mark area is raised in a near perfect circle. 

received_176033017742173.jpeg

received_966611000780820.jpeg

received_298922648449831.jpeg

I see the damage to the 9 and 5 going through the MM but if the MM was flattened due to a hit, how did it form a near perfect circle and remain raised?

Maybe you should be asking, "how did the minting or the die making process leave a near perfect circle?"

Being unable to explain the cause of the damage, does not make something an error.  Providing an explanation of how it can occur at the mint is required.  I know of no way that could occur.  There are countless ways for coins to be damaged after the leave the mint, and yours shows damage in that area.  

Here is a link to a site that explains how many diff types of errors occur at the mint.

Www.errors-ref.com

I agree with PMD

There are only two things that could have happened. An error during the striking of the coin or damage. As that could not have happened during the striking of the coin, the alternative is damage, no matter how it happened.

While it is a most unusual look I have to agree that the mintmark took a hit or three and flattened/moved the metal into that mostly circular shape.  Very cool actually but just PMD all the same.