• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I received my first ever Daniel Carr coin!
1 1

19 posts in this topic

I've wanted a Dan Carr for as long as I've known about them and I finally got one! I received the MCMXXI (2021 Counter-stamped) blue toning heavily worn Peace Dollar... I'm new to this so I'm trying to figure out how to make my file small enough to post the pictures

-UD04

That's not a coin. 

At best, we'd consider it a fantasy piece. 

However, since the US Mint will be issuing 2021 dated Peace dollars, we should probably consider more negative terms for this. 

Some might congratulate you for this piece... I have extremely few nice things to say about problematic and legally questionable items like this from an individual who's fostered countless controversies. 

While not a coin - by accepted definition or legal status, it is in my opinion a representation of a government and fine arts commission approved coin (or partially that is, I believe the obverse with roman numerals was an initial (early) rendition that was submitted for approval and was never paired with the exact reverse as seen in OPs post). I believe Roger would be a good source to correct my possibly misguided opinion. I am not that knowledgeable in this series - although I do like them. 

I do like the idea that Carr produced what may have been and OP's images are excellent in both quality of the image and the (fill in the blank with your favorite description of the representation) would be a nice to have to compare with the final approved issues of the coin. It would be nice to see all of the proposed designs for the Peace dollar next to each other and along side the different versions of the actual dollar. But that's just me.  

Very Nice - #4

[I never stopped liking the "Squared Quarter" from the day I first laid eyes on it though I acknowledge its impractical use.  Never heard of the Dan Carr but like the Roman numerals.]

14 hours ago, physics-fan3.14 said:

That's not a coin. 

At best, we'd consider it a fantasy piece. 

However, since the US Mint will be issuing 2021 dated Peace dollars, we should probably consider more negative terms for this. 

Some might congratulate you for this piece... I have extremely few nice things to say about problematic and legally questionable items like this from an individual who's fostered countless controversies. 

Fair enough... I guess it all comes down to opinion... There are MANY coin collectors like you that don't like anything NOT minted by the U.S. or other government mint... In my opinion I like to look at the "what could've been" side of coin collecting... well, token collecting in this matter... I absolutely understand where you're coming from :wink:

1 minute ago, UrbanDecay4 said:

Not a counterfeit... It's a fantasy token

False. Look at the US Code. If it looks like a coin or performs like a coin and not produced by the US Mint, it is a counterfeit -- UNLESS marked COPY. The illustrated piece claims to be One Dollar and United States of America. No excuses no lies. The claims of the perpetrator are not supported by law or legal practice. By the perpetrator's warped, self-serving "logic" anyone could stamp off Washington quarters looking just like the originals and spend them with impunity. Same for slugs or tokens that operate vending machines.

Just now, RWB said:

False. Look at the US Code. If it looks like a coin or performs like a coin and not produced by the US Mint, it is a counterfeit -- UNLESS marked COPY. The illustrated piece claims to be One Dollar and United States of America. No excuses no lies. The claims of the perpetrator are not supported by law or legal practice. By the perpetrator's warped, self-serving "logic" anyone could stamp off Washington quarters looking just like the originals and spend them with impunity. Same for slugs or tokens that operate vending machines.

Fair enough... no argument there!

The sad part is that the USSS, Customs, and FBI are so swamped with fake merchandise and drugs from China, Chili and other places that the dollar value of counterfeit coins does not justify the resources to put the importers and perpetrators of counterfeits away for 20-years.

1 minute ago, RWB said:

The sad part is that the USSS, Customs, and FBI are so swamped with fake merchandise and drugs from China, Chili and other places that the dollar value of counterfeit coins does not justify the resources to put the importers and perpetrators of counterfeits away for 20-years.

I don't know... I just enjoy his coins, though many don't, I can't not look at the beauty...

UrbanDecay,

I know you are relatively new to the forum and I think collecting, but Daniel Carr and his work are known well. It’s a highly debated topic on how his work should be viewed. I personally side with the opinion it is counterfeit and should contain the legally required Copy inscribed somewhere on the coin. But I wanted you to know that people aren’t unaware of what this is, many just strongly disagree with it. 

1 minute ago, Woods020 said:

UrbanDecay,

I know you are relatively new to the forum and I think collecting, but Daniel Carr and his work are known well. It’s a highly debated topic on how his work should be viewed. I personally side with the opinion it is counterfeit and should contain the legally required Copy inscribed somewhere on the coin. But I wanted you to know that people aren’t unaware of what this is, many just strongly disagree with it. 

Yeah... I noticed that with this thread... should I have it shut down so it doesn't spark an argument? I'm reading through other forums on people's views on his coins and (I didn't realize this until just now) but his work is very much disliked

Just now, UrbanDecay4 said:

Yeah... I noticed that with this thread... should I have it shut down so it doesn't spark an argument? I'm reading through other forums on people's views on his coins and (I didn't realize this until just now) but his work is very much disliked

No not at all. This is a place for debate and conversation. If you enjoy them go for it. Just don’t be surprised if you get some strong arguments that what he does isn’t good for the hobby is all. But as long as people are civil debate is good for all of us in my opinion. This wouldn’t be any fun if we all viewed coins/tokens/etc. the same way. 

1 minute ago, Woods020 said:

No not at all. This is a place for debate and conversation. If you enjoy them go for it. Just don’t be surprised if you get some strong arguments that what he does isn’t good for the hobby is all. But as long as people are civil debate is good for all of us in my opinion. This wouldn’t be any fun if we all viewed coins/tokens/etc. the same way. 

Alright! I just don't want to create a problem on my first couple weeks of being here... I've already created enough problems on other forums :cry:

Just now, UrbanDecay4 said:

Alright! I just don't want to create a problem on my first couple weeks of being here... I've already created enough problems on other forums :cry:

Just be civil and you will be fine. The people I see that run into issues want to argue and demean more than factually debate and learn. Having an opinion and challenging appropriately will never be an issue. Or shouldn’t be anyway.