• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I forgot about you
1 1

14 posts in this topic

I pulled my coins out the other day. I have a few things in one of the boxes in my SDB.

I had 10 coins written on this box. So I pulled out 10 coins. I’m getting ready to sell them but dragging my feet. They are hard to part with. Anyhow. I went back into the box to look at the receipts. Wrapped in a receipt was number 11. I had no idea it was in there.

What do you guys think if it? I played with the reflection a little.

2E7E4C88-7F79-4E66-B861-A12DE7727B51.jpeg

38E66499-B7A8-41D5-98C2-F30F8F1C864A.jpeg

6995EAD6-B384-4072-AA8A-BB30FD973E86.jpeg

463D9A08-F8CE-48A4-92EF-31C5EBD5F95F.jpeg

Funny how the bottoms of the two T's in STATES look so different when compared with each other in the upper vs lower photos -- and nothing like the T in UNITED.  Fission vs Fusion. What the NTSB would call metal fatigue, non-wind shear variety. :)

What is the recommended method for restoring a cleaned coin to its more natural looking, soiled state, or is it impolite to ask?

I just don’t think my images are very good. It has occurred to me immediately that we have some nice guys here. I also have noticed there are a few people who are rude and take pleasure in there hoping to hurt another person pleasure by insults. Why be like that?

This coin is not cleaned. I know it’s not for a fact. It’s just lousy images but you took advantage of that to make another person you don’t know feel like you are a dominating force. Do you know that the sign of a psychopath or some kind of a mental illness. I want to look back and check out your post see if this is your MO. If it is why does NGC tolerate it. People who do thing like that in a peaceful place where hobbyist share what they have. Your comment is despicable. The funny thing is now you can actually report internet bullying and that individual goes on a watch list. This is a fact. Not on this website or by it’s owners. Your IP is captured your ID is profiled and you become part of a categorical list. Why it’s done I don’t know. Maybe the NHA wants to keep files on people with this behavior should something really negative results from a cruel or rude post. An easy example would be a depressed person who joins a forum because he shares this hobby. His life has been tough. Maybe his job sucks. He’s on the verge of ending his life and someone starts doing the same thing. He cannot escape it and the rest I will leave to your imagination. There are statistics on cyber bullying and the effect it has had on people in our society and yes people have done things to themselves that well let’s just say they no longer are with us. So I hope you feel good because it seems to be what you hope for.

Edited by Freedomsweetfreedom

@Freedomsweetfreedom I do not know to whom your remarks are addressed but, if they were to me, I am taken aback as you've been a member long enough to know from whom to expect mean-spiritedness.  If your remarks were directed to others, it is the first instance I can recall of seeing a broadside leveled at ignorers who have ostracized me.  Either way, do not allow anyone to push your buttons. In the end, the only opinion that counts, is yours.

It was directed at nobody in specific. However, if you feel a reason for you to feel it may have been directed towards you there needs to be a reason. I can assure you that it was not. It’s really this simple. I’m new here but I’m not a child. Wherever I go I can recognize when someone is being rude, overly critical and just plain mean. In this great country I am also entitled to my opinion. I did give everyone some good advice. You can be reported as a bully and you will be looked at. This country is changing and it’s not all good. They have a file on all of us. Just ask Johnathan Snowden.

A common rule of decency is if you have nothing good to say be a gentleman and let it go. Someone new amongst new people shows a coin and someone with 25,000 post writes “this this is worthless and it’s got this wrong and this wrong” btw welcome. Geez There are several people I have conversed with here who seem like nice people. Two people I went back just over the past month and did a count of common decency and rude. This one individual had something negative to say 80% he wrote a comment. 
I bet you in person he is very nice.  Probably a good guy. Something happens to some people when they are not looking you on the eye. I’m sorry and maybe I shouldn’t be posting this but I also have a collection of classic cars. My cars are top flight. I love it when a 20 year old guy shows up with a 66 mustang that is a 4 out of 10. You feel the excitement for them. They are proud of there baby. Then up pops one of the insufficiently_thoughtful_persons shows up and pics this persons pride and joy apart. No difference here. It’s just not cool. You can say the same thing but in a kind way. That’s a nice old coin. Looks like someone may have washed back in the day but it still has good eye appeal and what matters is that you like it.

I just have no tolerance for bullies. Especially computer cyber bullies. Nothing lower then scum than a cyber bully. Darn cowards.

18 hours ago, Freedomsweetfreedom said:

However, if you feel a reason for you to feel it may have been directed towards you there needs to be a reason. I can assure you that it was not. 

As to the former sentence.... simple process of elimination.  As to the latter, I somehow feel slighted.  It's as though I am an unsuitable candidate for your ire.  My approach differs from yours -- not because I am bully-proof, but because I revel in the luxury of pulling the carpet out from those who think they are masters at their craft by lavishing praise on them by honoring me with a response.  These are my official "ignorers" who are my most avid followers.

Please feel free to post additional photos of your coins for the enjoyment and benefit of the Silent Majority: the lurkers and loiterers, and spectators drawn to your treasures as moths do to lights.

I’m going to sell some of these coins. See how it goes and go from there. I think it’s possible to use FaceTime to het a real life look at the coin. Move it around under different light. Questions can be asked. The technology on these phones makes it less of a challenge to sell a coin and have the person buying it know what they are getting. When I put a couple up in the BST will be when I have imaging sorted out.

Edited by Freedomsweetfreedom

On 5/16/2021 at 4:27 PM, Freedomsweetfreedom said:

This coin is not cleaned. I know it’s not for a fact. 

Okay, so... I'm not trying to be mean and beat you up, but... You can't possibly know this.

That coin is from 1874. I don't know how old you are but there is zero chance you're over 150 years old. There is zero chance you've had this coin in your possession since it came from the mint 147 years ago. There is no way you can make that comment with that level of certainty. For what it's worth, I have a quarter from 1854 that looks similar that I would never pay to submit just because I completely lack confidence that it would come back with anything but a details grade. Have I cleaned it? No. But I'm pretty sure someone else did before it came to me around 2008.

On 5/19/2021 at 9:05 AM, Revenant said:

Okay, so... I'm not trying to be mean and beat you up, but... You can't possibly know this.

That coin is from 1874. I don't know how old you are but there is zero chance you're over 150 years old. There is zero chance you've had this coin in your possession since it came from the mint 147 years ago. There is no way you can make that comment with that level of certainty. For what it's worth, I have a quarter from 1854 that looks similar that I would never pay to submit just because I completely lack confidence that it would come back with anything but a details grade. Have I cleaned it? No. But I'm pretty sure someone else did before it came to me around 2008.

Cleaning coins was once an acceptable practice. Even encouraged. No longer. Originality is king. 

On 5/20/2021 at 8:02 PM, VKurtB said:

Cleaning coins was once an acceptable practice. Even encouraged. No longer. Originality is king. 

To be perfectly honest, some coins are worn clean.  My beef is with people who display coins here who are so lacking in perception that they do not trim or clean their nails and won't bother simply rinsing their coins caked with what appears to be sand or mud blotting them cautiously with tissue paper or paper towels.