• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2 cent piece
1 1

37 posts in this topic

Given that this is a circulated coin I'm more apt to think just some PMD vs a strike through, its a nice looking coin and the doubling on the date is cool.   As you noted from a strict value standpoint I doubt that its really worth submitting, however lots of coins worth less have been graded so its more of a personal choice than a value choice.

28 minutes ago, Coinbuf said:

lots of coins worth less have been graded so its more of a personal choice than a value choice.

Yes, how very true.  And Hoghead515, if you watched Mr. Lange's presentation you will know some coins that you can barely recognize turned out to be 1 and 2 of a variety kind.  

42 minutes ago, Alex in PA. said:

Yes, how very true.  And Hoghead515, if you watched Mr. Lange's presentation you will know some coins that you can barely recognize turned out to be 1 and 2 of a variety kind.  

That's what I looked in the census on the NGC site and there has only been 7 of these certified by NGC. This particular variety. This one will make 8 if I get it certified. 

Edited by Hoghead515

1 minute ago, Hoghead515 said:

It's hard to see in the picture but it even has the die crack. It's real faint in this picture. Can't get a very good pic of it. You can see it very plainly with a loupe. Polish_20210510_155242218.jpg.8cf714328dc42a34aacd07bb81b81130.jpg

I see it. Nice coin brother. #8 is pretty cool. Nice pick up.

Just now, Lem E said:

I see it. Nice coin brother. #8 is pretty cool. Nice pick up.

Thank you my friend. I really like this coin.  I think I'll have it certified. That way it will be a little more special when I pass it down to my children. 

This is one of the few times I’ve actually seen doubling on the coin. Usually when people ask about doubling I can’t even begin to see what they are talking about. When I first joined a few months ago I had no idea what doubling was and these people kept asking about it I thought something was wrong with my eyesight. Since then I’ve learned most of those people don’t really have doubling on their coin.

Edited by Grant Gerlinger

@Grant Gerlinger

This isn't the doubling that's caused by the working hub shifting during the manufacture of the working die.  This is caused by the date being punched twice into the die. RPDs can  be found on a few 2 cent pieces and Shield nickels from this time period

Hope this helps

1 hour ago, Grant Gerlinger said:

This is one of the few times I’ve actually seen doubling on the coin. Usually when people ask about doubling I can’t even begin to see what they are talking about. When I first joined a few months ago I had no idea what doubling was and these people kept asking about it I thought something was wrong with my eyesight. Since then I’ve learned most of those people don’t really have doubling on their coin.

Alot of the ones alot of people post is strike doubling also. It's very hard to see alot of times. Some of the true doubling is hard to see without a loupe or something. 

1 hour ago, Hoghead515 said:

Alot of the ones alot of people post is strike doubling also.

This is all I have to show you.  What can you tell me about it?

s-l1600 (2).jpg

s-l1600 (1).jpg

3 minutes ago, Alex in PA. said:

s-l1600 (2).jpg

s-l1600 (1).jpg

Is that doubling on the reverse. Kinda favors strike doubling. 

Edited by Hoghead515

14 minutes ago, Alex in PA. said:

s-l1600 (2).jpg

s-l1600 (1).jpg

I do know that is a very very beautiful coin. I love those colors in it. That thing is sharp. 

I went ahead and decided on having this one certified. Some people may think im crazy but it was a decision I think is right for me and my reasons. @DWLange since I chose variety plus does that automatically mean the variety will be mentioned on the label of the slab? I used an online submission form so is it ok on the line item I filled out I just put VP 006 In the Variety Plus box ? 

1 hour ago, Hoghead515 said:

I went ahead and decided on having this one certified. Some people may think im crazy but it was a decision I think is right for me and my reasons. @DWLange since I chose variety plus does that automatically mean the variety will be mentioned on the label of the slab? I used an online submission form so is it ok on the line item I filled out I just put VP 006 In the Variety Plus box ? 

There is absolutely nothing wrong with having a coin certified for any reason whatsoever, assuming you are aware of the costs, benefits, and drawbacks (which you obviously are).  

Edit to add: IMO

Edited by Oldhoopster

36 minutes ago, numisport said:

Strike doubling or double die ?

Not sure on the one Alex posted. On the one I posted it was a repunched date. The entire date was repunched over top the old date. 

I got to noticing on mine the D in the word UNITED looks funky compared to the other one posted. It must have got worn off or something. Something crazy about it unless it's just me. 

8 hours ago, Hoghead515 said:

I got to noticing on mine the D in the word UNITED looks funky compared to the other one posted. It must have got worn off or something. Something crazy about it unless it's just me. 

Flynn says that there were two reverses used with that obverse die, and that die #2 has an "incomplete D."

1 minute ago, Just Bob said:

Flynn says that there were two reverses used with that obverse die, and that die #2 has an "incomplete D."

Thank you for researching that for me. That clears it up. I thought it may have took a hit and I was examining it earlier and was stumped because it didn't look like it took a hit. That clears alot up for me. I appreciate it. 

I know I’m new here but I can jump in on this one. I need to get one of my coins graders. This one is so original I believe. I don’t know about doubling. If you guys can see anything from my lousy pictures please tell me. I’d love to know. I’m going to take a good long look. Im going to sell all my coins because I need money. This might be my hardest to let go off. I will probably sell them raw. But I didn’t post to advertise. 
I wanted to add one of my favorites.

9986017E-E05A-44A2-8AAF-ECBDAD1C6CB0.jpeg

5268CA80-3A0E-426C-AAEB-ED4DE7E81173.jpeg

EF67471A-FBB7-43C7-8933-30A9448389CD.jpeg

6DBD0088-AAEA-4BEE-88E4-50D1EE1290E1.jpeg

1 hour ago, Freedomsweetfreedom said:

I know I’m new here but I can jump in on this one. I need to get one of my coins graders. This one is so original I believe. I don’t know about doubling. If you guys can see anything from my lousy pictures please tell me. I’d love to know. I’m going to take a good long look. Im going to sell all my coins because I need money. This might be my hardest to let go off. I will probably sell them raw. But I didn’t post to advertise. 
I wanted to add one of my favorites.

9986017E-E05A-44A2-8AAF-ECBDAD1C6CB0.jpeg

5268CA80-3A0E-426C-AAEB-ED4DE7E81173.jpeg

EF67471A-FBB7-43C7-8933-30A9448389CD.jpeg

6DBD0088-AAEA-4BEE-88E4-50D1EE1290E1.jpeg

She's a beauty my friend. Love those 2 cent pieces. I'm starting on a collection of them. I usually been working on a quarter collection but I've been cheating on it a little and grabbing one of these here and there. Very beautiful design in my opinion. Got alot of love for these

Edited by Hoghead515

I know I’m new here but I can jump in on this one. I need to get one of my coins graders. This one is so original I believe. I don’t know about doubling. If you guys can see anything from my lousy pictures please tell me. I’d love to know. I’m going to take a good long look. Im going to sell all my coins because I need money. This might be my hardest to let go off