• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fraction California gold
2 2

32 posts in this topic

I am trying to determine whether or not these are the real deal Or are just replicas. I got them from what I believe to be a reputable dealer. Along with a bunch of other coins in a lot.

Picture_20210509090505.jpg

Picture_20210309090356.jpg

Picture_20210309090330.jpg

Picture_20210109090147.jpg

Picture_20214109084116.jpg

Picture_20214009084046.jpg

Picture_20213909083955.jpg

I'm not very familiar with these but I would say they are replicas. I seem to remember a souvenir token type set of Cal. gold and that is probably where these came from.

I'm still learning and I may be completely wrong but they look real grainy looking.  I think they are replicas. The details are kinda mushy also. 

1 minute ago, Hoghead515 said:

Are those replicas or the real deal?

Replicas, looks like you can pick up a set like that for $20 or so. Now that I'm looking around, there are also three and five token sets.

They certainly look real but I guess that is the point  but I would think that there is something to ID them as being a replica. So as not to be able to pass as the real thing 

1 minute ago, Patman54 said:

They certainly look real but I guess that is the point  but I would think that there is something to ID them as being a replica. So as not to be able to pass as the real thing 

Certain coins do have a little R stamped on them or COPY. But there are thousands out there circulating that has nothing on them. Very confusing sometimes if you don't know what to look for. Most were made by counterfeiters trying to pass them off on people as the real thing. 

4 minutes ago, Patman54 said:

It would be nice if there was the word "copy" or a "R" stamped on them but I don't think they look particularly close to the real thing either.

11 minutes ago, Patman54 said:

Any ideas on how to have tested 

I would look at certified examples first and compare them to yours. Once you've done that I think you'd agree that having these tested would be a waste of time and money. 

Most of these are jewelry trinkets or sold in souvenir sets to clueless tourists.

Authentic pieces have the denomination on them.

6 hours ago, Patman54 said:

I am trying to determine whether or not these are the real deal Or are just replicas. I got them from what I believe to be a reputable dealer. Along with a bunch of other coins in a lot.

Picture_20210509090505.jpg

Picture_20210309090356.jpg

Picture_20210309090330.jpg

Picture_20210109090147.jpg

Picture_20214109084116.jpg

Picture_20214009084046.jpg

Picture_20213909083955.jpg

The only thing I find troubling is the OP's comment that he bought them from what he "believed to be a reputable dealer."  And whom might that be and why wouldn't you have expressed your concerns to him at that time? What representations were made in print, advertising, years in business, reviews, the BBB, or word of mouth that led you to believe he could be relied upon to sell you a legitimate product. Obvious signs are ridiculously low prices, pressure to "buy now," statements like, "these are the only ones I have left," and a "No Returns accepted, Cash only policy," or "Credit for returns only," leaving you on the hook for other possibly deficient merchandise.  How much did you know about California fractionals before you came across these examples?  I don't share the optimism of some members who are hopeful suggesting further comparisons or testing is being polite.  If it is at all possible, I would take them back -- even if it means accepting a credit. This policy, incidentally, must appear on a receipt or posted in the establishment.

5 hours ago, Patman54 said:

They certainly look real

You should have a look at 'REAL' California fractional gold.  All of what you have shown lack the info on a real Reverse.

3 minutes ago, Alex in PA. said:

Here's a real 1880 Specimen.  Notice that it has the word 'Dollar' under the denomination.

5682492o.jpg

5682492r.jpg

Well, that's the ball game.

10 hours ago, Patman54 said:

I got them from what I believe to be a reputable dealer. Along with a bunch of other coins in a lot.

Well, from the fake California gold the other coins could be cleaned damaged, counterfeit or vastly over priced.

No reputable coin dealer - NONE - would ever foist those trinkets off on a buyer.

Sorry just saw all your posts thanks for the help. This was a package deal and just said 2 pc of gold  even though somewhat misleading or even just dishonest. But also didn't pay that much and did get some really nice  BU SILVER QUARTERS. I still wonder what there made of. Would have been nice if were real. Also I am also from PA PITTSBURGH 

4 hours ago, Patman54 said:

Sorry just saw all your posts thanks for the help. This was a package deal and just said 2 pc of gold  even though somewhat misleading or even just dishonest. But also didn't pay that much and did get some really nice  BU SILVER QUARTERS. I still wonder what there made of. Would have been nice if were real. Also I am also from PA PITTSBURGH 

Probably made out of a bronze alloy of some type. 

6 hours ago, Hoghead515 said:

Probably made out of a bronze alloy of some type. 

(Comment withdrawn)

16 hours ago, Quintus Arrius said:

The only thing I find troubling is the OP's comment that he bought them from what he "believed to be a reputable dealer."  And whom might that be and why wouldn't you have expressed your concerns to him at that time? What representations were made in print, advertising, years in business, reviews, the BBB, or word of mouth that led you to believe he could be relied upon to sell you a legitimate product. Obvious signs are ridiculously low prices, pressure to "buy now," statements like, "these are the only ones I have left," and a "No Returns accepted, Cash only policy," or "Credit for returns only," leaving you on the hook for other possibly deficient merchandise.  How much did you know about California fractionals before you came across these examples?  I don't share the optimism of some members who are hopeful suggesting further comparisons or testing is being polite.  If it is at all possible, I would take them back -- even if it means accepting a credit. This policy, incidentally, must appear on a receipt or posted in the establishment.

That’s some good tips you and I have a lot in common ... I’m leery when I meet new dealers , I ask some questions right off the bat such as “will buy this coin off me in later future if I decide to upgrade ?” “Are you willing to put a higher end coin on Lay a way payment plan for me?” I ask other questions as well . If they say “no” then I don’t want to do business with them I walk thank them for their time and be on my way ... there was an old saying my grandfather used to say in his antique store “the customers is always right , without customers I wouldn’t be in business sometimes you just have to listen to customers” 

seems like some so called “coin dealers” don’t follow that advice when conducting business and there is a lot sour apple out there in our coin collecting hobby I’ve met my fair share after all I’m the customer who spending my hard earn money buying coins to keep a dealer in business it’s a two way street when buying and selling a coin , I never ever let a dealer try to haggle me or pressure me like I don’t know what I’m doing and I just started collecting coins yesterday 

the same applies to any collecting hobby , I also collect a lot of antique older shotguns with engravings and stuff on receiver of guns ... I’ve met my fair share of gun dealers who don’t know how to conduct business very well but every once in awhile they get a chance to rip someone off who inherited some guns from a dead relative they took a low ball offer after they leave the dealer mocks them like they were dumb or something 

Edited by Jason Abshier