• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Just posting some coins to share. They are not fit sale anymore.
1 1

43 posts in this topic

23 hours ago, Freedomsweetfreedom said:

Everyone talks about getting stuff graded but they also complain it takes to long. Am I right?

When do people not complain?

It takes a little time but in one of your posts on this thread you're comparing your 1/4 fractional gold with a PCGS AU55 graded one for sale.  If you do that kind of thing you're going to be disappointed when you get offered a fraction of the going price for a RAW coin.

3 hours ago, Crawtomatic said:

When do people not complain?

It takes a little time but in one of your posts on this thread you're comparing your 1/4 fractional gold with a PCGS AU55 graded one for sale.  If you do that kind of thing you're going to be disappointed when you get offered a fraction of the going price for a RAW coin.

Or to put it another way, when you are talking about exceptional coins, the true value of professional grading goes “parabolic”. So many people here are hellbent on having routine coins graded, and here you are with nicer material trying to avoid it. /smh

If you’re in the vicinity of N.E. Numismatics, I recommend contacting them. They’re good guys and extremely knowledgeable.

They should be able to provide approximate values for your coins, make suggestions regarding which ones merit grading - I doubt that all of them are - and can submit them on your behalf. They’re fair in their buy prices, too. 

19 minutes ago, MarkFeld said:

If you’re in the vicinity of N.E. Numismatics, I recommend contacting them. They’re good guys and extremely knowledgeable.

They should be able to provide approximate values for your coins, make suggestions regarding which ones merit grading - I doubt that all of them are - and can submit them on your behalf. They’re fair in their buy prices, too. 

Your absolutely correct. I just have so many of them. I pulled out 20 additional coins today. I did not realize how many double eagles I had. I was buying them for $282 each. I bought 14 in a three year span. I just love them. 
I have a guy for gold coins he pays a nice premium. I even got a mint gold Rolex Prez in trade. So it cost me $846! If I could go back to 70’s again I would have put every dollar I made into buying double eagles. Oh wait a minute. I should say I’m glad when I was a teenager instead of blowing my dough on weed and beer like all my friends I would have bought double eagles and always acted broke. Wait.....I think I did that to. I’m not going back to that box. I looked over what’s left and it’s all long term. Not collectible coins per day but just heavy yellow rounds. I don’t known why but I never really fell for the St. Gaudens. The only time I would buy them is when a high relief would be there. They still don’t appeal to me but I knew then would be worth money someday.

I got bored with coins once I turned twenty and got involved with collecting the nicest gemstone specimens I could find. Emeralds are by far my favorite. They have been around and desirable throughout history. Today you cannot find a nice emerald that hasn’t been played with. I have a few and let me tell you these would blow you away and I paid next to nothing. I’ve got a few that are uncut but so clean. 
I think the worst thing I ever did was get involved with cars. By the time I was old enough to buy my first corvette I lost $20,000 on it because I paid an additional $5000 plus my 66 for 59 impala convertible. Everyone told me how dumb it was and I felt it to. I just loved the car. When I sold it I could have bought 5 corvettes. The good old days when American wasn’t sucked dry by all the governments screwing is over. Now your luck if you can buy anything that will be worth a ton more in 20 years. That’s if we are still here.

I just felt like writing about those things tonight. I worked hard when I was young. I still do but it does not feel rewarding anymore.’

The flood gates have opened and we are watching our countries worth flow downstream and soon the water will stop flowing because the lake is running low and the lower it gets the less area it covers and the faster it turns to dust. So hearing some forum hang around tell me that my coins were cleaned. I pinched my nose when I wrote that so it would make that goofball sound does really mean much to me. I paid $12 for a coin that was cleaned. I can get a grand for it today so who cares. When cancer starts biting you in the you’ll wish you had not been so negative and spent more time trying to make people feel good instead of being Debbie Downer. It’s simple Physics right?

Yea it is what it is. I’ve had these coins 40 years and I never cleaned them. That’s really what I mean who knows what’s happened before. The things I have heard that have been done in this hobby make it a suckers bet now. Hell you can have an undetectable rare coin made. Maybe even one from the 1700’s. A rare variety. Whatever you want. Where there is money there is corrupt people. It’s so easy to see now. It was t like this before. 
Bunch of greedy principals now.

[You know what puzzles me?  You've been a member for going on five years, and all of a sudden we've got a line squall: Freedomsweetfreedom!

What prompted you to speak up?  Why now? I mean it's great having you, your voice is unique, but what have you been doing? Where have you been?  You do have quite a collection and I am happy to see you feel comfortable displaying them here but it is never going to be possible to please everyone, so let it go. Just be yourself!

I’m happy to answer that. I am not completely consumed by things. It’s obvious that I have a busy life with many interests. I’m in the process of restoring my 1972s Porsche 911. I work 10 hours a day. I won’t pay today a prices for coins. I think grading companies are way to inconsistent so I no longer participate. I want to sell the coins I have but I can’t take good pictures. I’m going to try a good old fashioned camera. It’s obvious I don’t know how to use my phone camera. They need to be seen in person to really be appreciated. I have gone to two dealers here in Ma. They both tried the same they have been doing forever. It’s been cleaned. It’s been this. I see this. I just behave like a gentleman. I asked one for a price. He wrote his offer up. I told him what I thought of it. I was there for a half hour longer after telling he is lowballing me. I showed him the cash I had. I said well I can’t sell you my coins because the gray sheet is very low right now. So maybe we can do the opposite. I would like to buy a coin from you. We looked at about 10 coins really good. I used the loop. I compared some of his graded coins to mine. Finally I just said I don’t know how you guys can do this all day. You tried to pay me 30% of what your selling the same coins in lower grades because they are graded. I wonder how many times they have been graded. I could not enter this hobby today. I like to feel the metal. I like to see the coin. A square piece of plastic with a coin inside does nothing for me. I’m from a different time I guess. He had some really nice coins but knowing in the back of my mind that he bought many of them buy telling people they were not worth much because of the flaws he used to get then coins just makes me feel like somethings not right. It used to be that a good coin dealer would like to make 15% or 10% if it was a really expensive coin that would bring in several thousand and was an easy sell. When I was young it wasn’t a make money thing. I just thought they were cool. The United States of America with an eagle and a figure of Justice. Indians and Morgans. Gold double eagles. They are all still great but now they are a commodity. I still appreciate them. I think you guys are all great. Your into it for the hobby. I don’t hear about profit. I hear concern about avoiding loss which only makes sense.

So to answer your question I would surf through and see what was up. When I decided to sell I spoke up. The I got turned off by only a couple of comments but they are powerful. When someone says washed body bag yuk about something you have had for so long it’s a turn off. Not angry just turned off.

I'm glad I am not the only one who likes to hold a coin in his fingers. My wife is always saying we should buy some of those coins in the square cases. I tell her if we find one that is a good deal I will get her some. But it is a rarity to get a deal on a slab coin in the wild. Therefore I like the hunt it is more fun. Come down to the Cape and I will take you to my old antique dealers. They would love to get coins like yours LoL .. Most want to spend low and sell high. But a couple of my better shops have great people, old dealers that have retired and bring in tasty treats once in a while.:whistle:

Edited by J P Mashoke

16 hours ago, Freedomsweetfreedom said:

I’m happy to answer that. I am not completely consumed by things. It’s obvious that I have a busy life with many interests. I’m in the process of restoring my 1972s Porsche 911. I work 10 hours a day. I won’t pay today a prices for coins. I think grading companies are way to inconsistent so I no longer participate. I want to sell the coins I have but I can’t take good pictures. I’m going to try a good old fashioned camera. It’s obvious I don’t know how to use my phone camera. They need to be seen in person to really be appreciated. I have gone to two dealers here in Ma. They both tried the same they have been doing forever. It’s been cleaned. It’s been this. I see this. I just behave like a gentleman. I asked one for a price. He wrote his offer up. I told him what I thought of it. I was there for a half hour longer after telling he is lowballing me. I showed him the cash I had. I said well I can’t sell you my coins because the gray sheet is very low right now. So maybe we can do the opposite. I would like to buy a coin from you. We looked at about 10 coins really good. I used the loop. I compared some of his graded coins to mine. Finally I just said I don’t know how you guys can do this all day. You tried to pay me 30% of what your selling the same coins in lower grades because they are graded. I wonder how many times they have been graded. I could not enter this hobby today. I like to feel the metal. I like to see the coin. A square piece of plastic with a coin inside does nothing for me. I’m from a different time I guess. He had some really nice coins but knowing in the back of my mind that he bought many of them buy telling people they were not worth much because of the flaws he used to get then coins just makes me feel like somethings not right. It used to be that a good coin dealer would like to make 15% or 10% if it was a really expensive coin that would bring in several thousand and was an easy sell. When I was young it wasn’t a make money thing. I just thought they were cool. The United States of America with an eagle and a figure of Justice. Indians and Morgans. Gold double eagles. They are all still great but now they are a commodity. I still appreciate them. I think you guys are all great. Your into it for the hobby. I don’t hear about profit. I hear concern about avoiding loss which only makes sense.

So to answer your question I would surf through and see what was up. When I decided to sell I spoke up. The I got turned off by only a couple of comments but they are powerful. When someone says washed body bag yuk about something you have had for so long it’s a turn off. Not angry just turned off.

I think you are spot on, 100% accurate about coin dealers. Crooks, by and large. One thing though: it’s spelled “loupe”, not “loop”.

Re: your 1887 3 cent nickel. There may be more surviving proofs than regular strikes. Yours sure looks like a proof to me. The actual mintage numbers are pretty close. 

14 hours ago, J P Mashoke said:

I'm glad I am not the only one who likes to hold a coin in his fingers. . .:whistle:

[More properly, holding a coin by your fingertips, usually by the thumb and forefinger of the dominant hand and using the like fingers of the other hand to pivot the coin around.  Ideally, you would not want to actually handle a coin more times than necessary.  I am told small rubber-tipped tongs are best but I have never observed them used and I do not believe rubber should be used around metal, even if they're used around edges.]

Note:  my oak file cabinet and bookcase emit formaldehyde which I discovered only after I had purchased then from a California company that had acquired them from Mexico.  I keep my coins away from them -- and leave my windows open for ventilation.