• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Just posting some coins to share. They are not fit sale anymore.
1 1

43 posts in this topic

I have a dozen or so coins that have been passed down along with paper money. I fell in love with paper money. It’s time to show these and see if I can use them to buy some paper as there are good deals to be had on the paper money side. I trade to buy I will save that for the BST.

Im going to do them one at a time is that okay. That way I won’t put the same coin up 3 times.

4D9D3290-FA2A-4E85-9DD2-5C8F08705A24.jpeg

64B5A3AA-7B26-4178-8E38-4D76FA8C302B.jpeg

10821CC9-2DFA-4C87-A495-B0319D95B637.jpeg

9FCD5FDE-0597-466D-B5B9-455DF4BAFB40.jpeg

Edited by Freedomsweetfreedom
Better images

I'm not sure what your question is, are you asking the value?  Or are you asking if its authentic?  Or something else.

Did you have a question or are you looking to sell them?

If you want to sell or trade them, you should list them on the Coin Marketplace Forum following the instructions.

Selling them is likely what I would like to do but I don’t know what to ask and I am not a very proficient coin grader. I don’t want to overcharge or overgrade. I should have wrote that I could use some help with grading and value. My mistake. I get so busy during the week that I do everything on the fly. I have plenty of time today. I have spent a while figuring out how to take decent images. I believe I can. So if you gentleman can be of assistance I would appreciate it. If you have any good paper money I may be open for a trade. I guarantee under the laws of my state and our country that these are all genuine. If you find they are fake you have the right to sue me. I am committing myself to these laws. Knowingly selling fake coins must be a serious felony. My record and conscience is clean. If you suspect a coin is fake say so. I will remove it.

Thank you

94512523-8F83-44B7-BDD1-A69DFE6FA40F.jpeg

8671EA15-ABFE-4A5D-9C50-0EF7EC330B19.jpeg

2425FA72-3F32-4B90-AC03-93012C46EDD7.jpeg

1F851AAE-4DD3-4BEE-A2D5-6551C4E3647A.jpeg

73D15A9B-9E28-4DD3-BCBB-79DAC15E86EB.jpeg

65F9A082-2513-4A1D-B3EF-4799EAB5C5F1.jpeg

9E2202BD-E377-46BA-97DC-D97BF9C352D5.jpeg

2BEF9730-1790-4E26-B1BF-6AA7B057C54C.jpeg

F7EE00E0-F678-4E62-BCAB-AEF07032B43D.jpeg

74373935-DE0D-4408-843C-03079861F357.jpeg

That 1928-D merc. Dime looks really nice ! If I were you and you want make most of your money selling these coins ? Send them in to NGC let them grade them then you’ll have a better solid ground to stand on you’ll know what a good selling point would be ... it’s hard for us to look at bright photos to determine the grade we have to see “wear” marks on high spots it would show , laying it flat and taking a picture doesn’t do it justice . They all look nice (that’s just pictures and angle the camera caught coin) for someone to really determine the grade they have to see in person with a naked eye if you search online you might be able pull up some grading for those particular coins you have might help you narrow it down to what you think you have grade wise ... Me personally I’d take the time send them in have them graded they will sell for more than selling them raw and your 1887 three cent piece is screaming to be graded and put in a slab that’s a nice coin! 

Edited by Jason Abshier
Forgot add a comment

That 1928-D dime and the 1887 3-cent have me salivating, but the lighting and photography on these coins in general is not great.

Edited by VKurtB

This is the last of them. I spent so many hours trying to get nice pictures. I have out some hard work into this and learned a bit as well. I am not in it for the money. I am in it for adding to what I really like to collect. I honestly should send them to get slabbed but I don’t have the interest. In fact I hate the grading companies at least on the paper side. They even have serial numbers right on the bills. Last year I sent an 1869 $2 rainbow in to be graded. I had it repaired. A giant paper pull had to be drawn buy the best restorer in the business. I had it graded it came back to me as an AU58epq. I sold it for a small profit. A month later same note on a dealers website in a 67epq holder. I have pictures of all of it. Do you know the spread on an AU58 $2 RB vs 67epq? So my point is here you go boys here are some fresh coins. I can assure you they have never been graded. I pulled them out of cardboard holders from the 60’s and 70’s a couple maybe earlier. I don’t want to go through it  again. I’ll get the lousy grade but the dealer who knows the game and the players gets the 68 find of the century cover of coin news. Nope. I respect your opinion and I think your right. Some of these may end up the holy grail and some may end up disappointing you. Ultimately though with the potential all this group has they will someday be in high end holders. What a rant, huh?

This is the last of them-

996BFBD7-AD3F-4DEC-AE74-6A9F695623C2.jpeg

2A71F093-82A4-4012-8610-580E7CE60DE5.jpeg

A9E23198-2AD1-4F53-8312-B5D044D780F3.jpeg

4E961197-8DEA-402E-82E1-4CA18FC38D5C.jpeg

CE854E36-9FC2-4B5E-93BD-92E768E10F67.jpeg

21643EB5-BE8A-439C-9A79-2A6F9B835A7C.jpeg

253F2C7F-FABE-40E9-90A9-C95D77F40E30.jpeg

3D39941F-8440-48C9-8070-FA7282237EFD.jpeg

If any of you want to view a coin you can pm me. I can do face time with the coin. I’ll get you a good look. Or I can email you a video if you would like. Just make sure your not intending to lowball me. I’ve done my homework. You’ll get a fair deal but the only way you will get that home run is by the slab. 

Just now, VKurtB said:

These look like a disassembled type set.

Nailed it. But I am not going to do them all at once. It will take to long. This is it for now. A couple I cannot part with. The 1916D Mercury I am keeping and a few others. I would not post anything I wouldn’t sell. All coins are kept in a temperature controlled safe. I am going to leave this up for the weekend. Enjoy it!

It sounds like you are going to sell them raw. I would have them graded but that's me. You need to find someone that can image the coins for you. The images posted don't allow folks to grade or value the coins. You really need that to get fair prices. The members here may be able to help you with your imaging. Nice group of coins. 

Overall this is a nice group of coins, at least two appear to have been cleaned, but as has been noted by many your photos are mostly too bright with too much reflection or out of focus to allow anyone to accurately assess grades, issues like cleaning, or authenticity.  I will also echo the sentiments of many that in order to get full value for these and any other high value coins you have; sending them off to NGC for grading would really be a huge benefit to you and any potential buyers.

I cannot dispute with what any of you guys are saying. I think what I will do is withdraw from offering then for sale here. We have local shows. I’ll take a few dozen to a few shows and bring in a few at a time and sell them. The lighting does make some of them appear cleaned but they have really not been. It’s the lighting. It’s just easier to put them under a dealers nose and let them decide. I just think that most coins dealers are what’s a nice way to put it. Let’s just say they are not very fair. We can leave it at that. Now many that I know are very good but if you go to a vf major coin show you will meet some pretty bad people. They literally want to steal from you. They lie, deceive and are some of the greediest people I have ever met. Not all of them just many of them. Paper money is bad too but I cut righ through the riff raff. I know who to see. There is one paper money dealer who has been around along time and he literally yells, swears and abuses his customers. No wonder he doesn’t use his real name. Several paper money dealers can handle all my needs. I would rather pay them to deal with some of these angry people. One of them is the biggest jerk then you see him outside smoking cigarettes trying to act nice. It’s so crazy it’s funny. 

Can also take them to a place and have them appraised by someone who knows what they are talking about might have pay a small fee tho . But coins like that shouldn’t be handled like they are cheap average coins because they aren’t going a little extra mile get better price point would be happier in end have more money to spend on your paper money collection .
If you go to dealers to sell outright ? He probably going give you anywhere 40%-60% (estimated not all dealers follow the spread) of what coin is worth on market he has to make a profit on it as well when he sells (that’s if he’s an honest dealer) I can guarantee you if these coins are nicer than pictures shows he going to have them graded and slabbed and he will DOUBLE his profit ! Your better of taking a more “patience route” go to coin shows see what 10 different dealers say your coins are narrow it down but don’t sell outright right away and don’t take every dealer’s word either what grade they think it is , if they were best graders ? They would be working for NGC and PCGS grading coins and they ain’t (even NGC and PCGS miss a few graded coins from time to time ) you’ll be surprised there are some dealers who can’t even grade they go by with what’s on the slab can you blame them ? The coin market is full of slabbed coins they got used to trusting grades on slabs 

some of these coins you have the “average Joe” collector would can only dream of owning 

I’d love to get them graded but man I don’t have the time or patience. What I need is someone who lived near me in 01844 who is honest to look at them and be fair. I know what they are.

Trying to take pictures is a real PIA.

I’m going to try a video. Just one.

17 minutes ago, Freedomsweetfreedom said:

I’d love to get them graded but man I don’t have the time or patience. What I need is someone who lived near me in 01844 who is honest to look at them and be fair. I know what they are.

Trying to shortcut the process will only harm your interests. There is no shortcut to good photography. 

42 minutes ago, VKurtB said:

Trying to shortcut the process will only harm your interests. There is no shortcut to good photography. 

And no shortcut to holding them by the edge, loupe in hand.  (The only coin that mystefies me is the 4-dollar coin piece.  What is its date? Anyone know?)

1 hour ago, Freedomsweetfreedom said:

Northeast Numismatics is in Concord.  A little farther is Colony Coins in Newtonville.  It used to be owned by a former ANA Governor.  I believe he sold it to member of the Boston Numismatic Society, but I haven't been out that way in 10+ years.  If I recall correctly, there was a monthly show in Nashua.  Hope this helps

2 minutes ago, Quintus Arrius said:

And no shortcut to holding them by the edge, loupe in hand.  (The only coin that mystefies me is the 4-dollar coin piece.  What is its date? Anyone know?)

Do you want the dates for the Flowing Hair or Coiled Hair type? 

(sorry, trick question) :devil:

You can always look it up in your copy of the Redbook.  

I’m not going to even look but take a legitimate guess. 1794?

I don’t use the red book I prefer the PCGS app. I was thinking of getting the NGC but I will wait for it to improve. From the reviews it’s not very good.

2 hours ago, Oldhoopster said:

Do you want the dates for the Flowing Hair or Coiled Hair type? 

(sorry, trick question) :devil:

You can always look it up in your copy of the Redbook.  

4 hours ago, Quintus Arrius said:

What 4-dollar? I only saw a 1/4 dollar fractional. 

39 minutes ago, VKurtB said:

What 4-dollar? I only saw a 1/4 dollar fractional. 

A two eight-bit gold coin. What is the date?  What is its condition?  And perhaps most importantly, will it pass the Rtz-33 test for rigorous standards of excellence?     🤔

Freedom you have some nice coins in the mix. But not coins someone will come to you to seek out. I get you are inpatient but you won’t ever sell them if you don’t do a little footwork. If you want local oldhoopster gave you great options. Northeast numismatics has been wonderful to me lately and great to work with on some fairly large purchases. I say take them there and get an opinion. And if you don’t like it go to another shop, but understand the price you will get may not be as big as you would like. Coin dealers get called crooks a lot, and some are, but sellers often think they should be able to retire from the coins they found/inherited and it’s very rarely the case. 

7 hours ago, Oldhoopster said:

Northeast Numismatics is in Concord.

If I were to ever commit the ultimate sacrilege and disperse my small collection of 🐓🐓🐓,  I would put this coin concern at the top of my list.  The overtures I have received from them, should I one day decide to sell, were low-key, humble and resonated with me enough to send them a Want List (in the interim) which they accepted, without comment, despite their high-end grade-wise status: No 🐓 on the face of the earth has ever shattered the MS-67 glass ceiling. To my knowledge, NeN has never offered a 🐓 for sale.  There is a quite noticeable gap in the dates featured for sale prior to, during, and after the 🐓 series reign.  A handful of people on this site have written favorable reviews regarding NeN and their approach has earned them top billing in my book.  If gold continues its inexorable climb three steps up, two steps down, continually, I believe the folks up in the Commonwealth and I will be able to reach a common ground both parties can live with. I appreciate the reference made by you and other members as availability of 🐓 in the top tiers with none graded finer, is sparce and virtually non-existent for the few dates and grades I require.

On 5/18/2021 at 2:17 PM, Oldhoopster said:

Northeast Numismatics is in Concord.  A little farther is Colony Coins in Newtonville.  It used to be owned by a former ANA Governor.  I believe he sold it to member of the Boston Numismatic Society, but I haven't been out that way in 10+ years.  If I recall correctly, there was a monthly show in Nashua.  Hope this helps

It’s funny you mention them. I have a small California gold piece. I couldn’t find anything similar. They are on my list of websites to check out.

low and behold look what’s there-

5B5D753F-5EEB-4D34-8145-F538016E2562.jpeg

1 hour ago, Freedomsweetfreedom said:

Everyone talks about getting stuff graded but they also complain it takes to long. Am I right?

Speaking strictly for myself, having knowledge of the assembly line used limited to hearsay, I can, nevertheless state with a reasonable degree of certitude that most members' perceptions of the process is flawed and not at all helped by NGC's insistence that all turn-around times (yes, Morpheus1967, I prefer the hyphenated form) are "estimated."

In truth, the popular perception of nine Supreme Court justices working eight-hour rotating tours around the clock, is flat wrong.  You have two here, or three "over there," I forget which, with both vastly understaffed.  If you are opening mail that arrived at the beginning of the month, weeks later, that's a red flag.  My best advice is, for your own peace of mind, expect results within six weeks and make no formal inquiries until at least eight weeks has elapsed regardless of grading tier chosen and per coin fee exacted,, and you won't be disappointed.  And I invite anyone who feels I am uninformed or being irresponsible to be prepared to offer a credible explanation as to what happens when "The Line" is unexpectedly inundated with Unlimited Value Walk-Throughs, Walk-Throughs, and Express Tier requests.  😉

Edited by Quintus Arrius
Clarification

21 hours ago, Freedomsweetfreedom said:

Everyone talks about getting stuff graded but they also complain it takes to long. Am I right?

Grading takes longer than it probably should and definitely costs more than it should. It costs about a penny less, and takes about a day less than the cost and time involved that would make most collectors say "Ah, forget it."

Edited by VKurtB