• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Submissions to NGC
2 2

44 posts in this topic

13 hours ago, Rigs said:

I would think the grading process begins with item type identification. It was received by NGC back on 9 April.. This transitional coin was unknown to me at time of submission, but should stand out to someone who ID's rare coins as a profession. 

You provided the item type when you filled out the form with your submission.  You think the person that opens the mail and enters the coins into the system is going to be able to tell the difference between a medium relief and a regular 1922?  There's a reason a coin such as that has to pass muster with Mr. Lange.

Please don't get me wrong.  I am 100% pulling for you and I hope it's not a clerical error.  I just wouldn't hold my breath.  Best of luck, and I can't wait to see the final result.  

Thank you. I'm sure it's an error. I probably never should have said anything. I send coins to the experts for a reason, I don't always know if it's something special. Any error in such a detailed process, especially the first step, brings many things into question. Was it a medium relief as identified upon receipt? And then not? Was your 1903 S Morgan submitted for grading really a Micro s worth 1250 rather than 350? And you didn't know? Coins must be properly identified/confirmed upon receipt or you just never know. Thanks again for your insight. Still crossing my fingers 😎

Sean

14 hours ago, Mstang56 said:

One is valuable enough that the difference between PR 69 and 70 is $10,000.00.

Wow, interesting....would you mind indicating what this (modern) coin is ?

Sorry to ramble but I hate to identify a problem without offering a solution. 

When submissions are entered into the database, any discrepancy with the submission form must trigger an adjudication alarm that must be immediately resolved. 

When an extremely rare item is entered into the submission database it triggers an immediate alarm to a senior member, item managers, rare item experts to verify before proceeding or storing. 

Edited by Rigs

14 hours ago, Rigs said:

I would  send as is. Let the experts remove 

I agree.  The experts have the special classified tools needed to extricate coins during the exhumation procedure.  Why take a chance and ruin a perfectly good coin in your haste to expedite the process.

21 minutes ago, Morpheus1967 said:

The 95w silver eagle proof has to be around that difference going from a 69 to a 70.

Good catch...yup, that would do it....price has held I guess for low 5-figures in 69/70 condition though nowhere near the $86,000 record price for some additional stuff like 1st Strike, etc and down from the $25,000 range of a few years ago. 

Once the demand for registry sets by heavy-hitters abated, the price fell.

Morpheus1967, you should be on Jeopardy! You are correct, I have a 1995 W Proof Silver Eagle purchased at auction, graded PR-70 by a grading company I never heard of, RNG. I searched RNG online and have only found one page from 2012,"Royal Numismatic Grading". At any rate, under my 10x loop and with my poor eyesight, there are no obvious defects on the coin. I have no information on RNG, but the environment that they slabbed this coin in was not very clean. Not visible to the naked eye, but under the loop there is a lot of dust on the surface of the coin. I will be sending this in with a group of 30 other coins in the NGC, and like many others here have said, I will have my fingers crossed! I also have a 1787 Massachusetts half cent I'm hoping is genuine. More nail biting!  

5 minutes ago, GoldFinger1969 said:

I never heard of "RNG" but I bet an NGC PF69 will still be more valuable than a 70 from RNG.

Good Luck maintaining the 70 !

A RNG slab will find a skeptical reception from either NGC or those P-something folks.

2 hours ago, Mstang56 said:

Morpheus1967, you should be on Jeopardy! You are correct, I have a 1995 W Proof Silver Eagle purchased at auction, graded PR-70 by a grading company I never heard of, RNG. I searched RNG online and have only found one page from 2012,"Royal Numismatic Grading". At any rate, under my 10x loop and with my poor eyesight, there are no obvious defects on the coin. I have no information on RNG, but the environment that they slabbed this coin in was not very clean. Not visible to the naked eye, but under the loop there is a lot of dust on the surface of the coin. I will be sending this in with a group of 30 other coins in the NGC, and like many others here have said, I will have my fingers crossed! I also have a 1787 Massachusetts half cent I'm hoping is genuine. More nail biting!  

You, sir, are a brave soul! As a reckless risk-taker, I don't think I have the cojones to bid on a lofty item encapsulated by a TPGS I never heard of. Be sure to follow the instructions on the NGC Submission Form to a "T" and pack your treasures sensibly for their anticipated rough-and-tumble journey. I wish you all the best!

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

I checked the grading screen yesterday, and it hasn't been seen by any graders as yet. Again, I haven't seen the coin myself, but I anticipate that it's an entry error. The persons who make the initial entries are not knowledgeable enough to know a Medium Relief when they see it, and someone likely just clicked the wrong line on the pull-down menu.

I made the initial authentication of the sole known Medium Relief coin 20 years ago, and it is illustrated here:

https://www.ngccoin.com/coin-explorer/peace-dollars-1921-1935-pscid-50/1922-medium-relief-1-ms-coinid-17386

Thank so much sir. I truly appreciate your personal involvement in such a minor submission hiccup. 

Sean 

11 hours ago, DWLange said:

I checked the grading screen yesterday, and it hasn't been seen by any graders as yet. Again, I haven't seen the coin myself, but I anticipate that it's an entry error. The persons who make the initial entries are not knowledgeable enough to know a Medium Relief when they see it, and someone likely just clicked the wrong line on the pull-down menu.

I made the initial authentication of the sole known Medium Relief coin 20 years ago, and it is illustrated here:

https://www.ngccoin.com/coin-explorer/peace-dollars-1921-1935-pscid-50/1922-medium-relief-1-ms-coinid-17386

Maybe its your once every twenty year coin...lol.