• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Submissions to NGC
2 2

44 posts in this topic

When you  submit a coin for grading, say a 1909 S 1C, does NGC ever inaccurately enter it when receiving? I sent a 1922 $1 for grading and they have it listed as a 1922 medium relief $1. A very big difference.  Anyone  ever heard of this sort of thing? Thanks

The people at NGC are human beings and mistakes do happen; I suggest that you get on the phone first thing tomorrow AM with customer service and discuss this with them directly.

I reached a week ago and they said a grader should  catch it if there is a mistake. Are mistakes common? And would it not be corrected immediately?  Thanks

Kinda like being  told you have the winning number  by lottery officials but you have to wait a few weeks while we have one more person check it. 

I do not think that mistakes are common as the TPG's have controls in place to double check things, but sure from time to time something is bound to slip through the cracks.  As you have already been in contact with NGC then I think all will end as it should, please update us with the final result.  BTW you never did mention what did you send it in as if not a medium relief? 

12 minutes ago, Coinbuf said:

I do not think that mistakes are common as the TPG's have controls in place to double check things, but sure from time to time something is bound to slip through the cracks.  As you have already been in contact with NGC then I think all will end as it should, please update us with the final result.  BTW you never did mention what did you send it in as if not a medium relief? 

My dealer got a set of eagles 33 anniversary golds come back...thing is they were 2019 not 2020....it takes a few mistakes for that to reach the customer.

1 hour ago, Rigs said:

When you  submit a coin for grading, say a 1909 S 1C, does NGC ever inaccurately enter it when receiving? I sent a 1922 $1 for grading and they have it listed as a 1922 medium relief $1. A very big difference.  Anyone  ever heard of this sort of thing? Thanks

Was this a high relief 22? I know so many people think they have one but you can youtube videos of the differences between them...the grader should spot it if they're worth their salt...did you specify on the submission?

6 hours ago, Dark Chameleon said:

Was this a high relief 22? I know so many people think they have one but you can youtube videos of the differences between them...the grader should spot it if they're worth their salt...did you specify on the submission?

I submitted what I thought was a BU 1922 peace dollar. 

8 hours ago, Rigs said:

I sent a 1922 $1 for grading and they have it listed as a 1922 medium relief $1.

Isn't this a good thing, a VERY GOOD THING if true?

Edited by Fenntucky Mike

Did you pay for variety attribution or can you add it once the submission has been received? I would think so. Good luck, I hope it true. :wishluck: 

Do you have a couple pics of the coin you can post?

15 minutes ago, Fenntucky Mike said:

Did you pay for variety attribution or can you add it once the submission has been received? I would think so. Good luck, I hope it true. :wishluck: 

Do you have a couple pics of the coin you can post?

I don't. I didn't think much of it as it was such a common date coin. I called and asked if I could change service level and they said that once the process is started there are no changes allowed.

21 minutes ago, Rigs said:

I didn't even know there was medium relief peace Dollar. 

It appears on PCGS there are only 2 certified 1922 Peace Dollar as a medium relief. PCGS has a description of the coin on their website that I found quite interesting.

Beautyplus

5 minutes ago, DWLange said:

In all likelihood that was a data entry error that will be corrected during the grading process. If it is an actual Medium Relief coin it will come across my desk for authentication.

Hope you see it soon😎

Fingers crossed

Definitely lean toward data entry error.  Where is it in the grading process?  Unless it has been graded already, I highly doubt anyone who would have touched it before it reaches the grading stage would be able to ascertain the difference between a regular1922 peace dollar and the rare 1922 medium relief.

I would think the grading process begins with item type identification. It was received by NGC back on 9 April.. This transitional coin was unknown to me at time of submission, but should stand out to someone who ID's rare coins as a profession. 

I have a newbie question that maybe you folks can help me out with. I have accumulated several coins, some very valuable, but in little know grading company slabs. I want to send them in to NGC for a more respected

grading. Is it better to remove the coins from existing slabs myself, or let NGC removed the coins from the existing slabs? One is valuable enough that the difference between PR 69 and 70 is $10,000.00.