• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Guess the grade
2 2

22 posts in this topic

Lets try another one of these. I enjoy these guess the grades. Let's try a Franklin. The scratches by the 3 in the date and the T at the end of TRUST, is on the holder. It was scratched up pretty bad when I got it in from Great Collections. But they noted that when they had it for sale. It doesn't bother me none. Better the holder then the coin inside. That's why when I get coins graded I pay the extra and get the scratch resistant holders. But I only do one or two at a time. It probably be different on a bulk submission. Cost a fortune to do several of them in one submission. I think it's well worth it in my case of only doing a couple at a time. Anyways I'll shut up and post the coin. Have fun my good friends. Thanks for giving it a try. Polish_20210505_214003145.jpg.34a3836f8ddacbd908f909796f013c22.jpgPolish_20210505_214125703.thumb.jpg.e44c96710f7f97be209877397c2d646f.jpg

I can grade some coins pretty good, most I cannot. That 1839 G Britain 5 Sov UNA AND THE LION that's currently on the homepage now, graded PF63 Cameo, looks better than 63 to me. I guess each has it's own forgiveness etc..,  depending on the metal, strike, on and on. My 1955 doubled die was returned with and EF 45 grade, and you could barely see Lincolns ear. I was pleased with that one. I thought I'd catch on quicker, but it seems I'm a good candidate for taking the grading class. Better late than never.

Proof 63. Center 'chatter' eliminates any thought of a higher "grade." Does not have clean contrast on both sides, so is not a cameo.

This is very interesting.  Several members chimed in with @Lem E taking a guess and the OP confirming the verdict.

Now comes @RWB with a dissenting opinion, replete with facts.  But, since by law (or so instinct instructs me) no mere mortal in his right mind would dispense with the professional courtesy of according him his inalienable right to politely disagree, no one does, and the observation lingers for no other reason than formal certification would be an unnecessary expense for the humble OP who appears to be satisfied with what he has. 

I detect what appears to be bell lines but I am too embarrassed to inquire as to their fullness.

I think what Quintus is trying to say is : "Every opinion matters."

2 hours ago, RWB said:

I think what Quintus is trying to say is : "Every opinion matters."

Actually, that is true, but in some spheres of endeavor, some opinions matter more than others. This was famously illustrated when "Stanley" turns to "Andy" in the movie, "The Devil Wears Prada" and says, in effect, "You still don't get it. Miranda's [Meryl Streep] opinion is the only one that counts!"  :whistle:

26 minutes ago, Lem E said:

We here at Lems Guessing Service (LGS) strive to provide our customers with the best guesses we can come up with. We employ some of the TOP guessers in the Tri-County area. Currently our slabs or “sandwich bags” as some people call them use the “?” on the label at the end of the grade, but we are working on the technology to place this emoji (shrug) as a replacement. An example would be (MS67+(shrug)). This technology does require the use of 2 D batteries (not included) and some of the people in our test group claim that the slabs were “too cumbersome” and “didn’t like the added expense of the batteries”. We disagreed, and proceeded with the project. Quality guesses are our TOP priority and we look forward to all of your submissions. We thank you, and remember, when you come to Lems, you always get a FREE onion. (thumbsu

Gonna write a good review about Lem's. Lem's guessed on 2 different coins I shared and nailed them both on the first guess both times. 

1 hour ago, Just Bob said:

Have you received your free onion yet?

It will be sent out in the morning. We are a highly reputable company that stands by our word.

If that 1943 copper cent that was just crossed over had all of its hair, it might grade AU58, oops, I mean MS 69. NGC, if I put my application in to be hired as a grader, don't do it.                EDIT:  Never mind, a week later after enlarging the '43 cent I can plainly see where the ear used to be before it was wore down. MS 62 it is then, I'm ready to start a grading career now.

Edited by ronnie stein
clarify