• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

higher resolution 1933 saint gaudens $20 stuart weitzman coin
1 1

18 posts in this topic

Nice....not sure if everybody will see them since the title doesn't mention 1933 Saints or whatever....post them in the Saints thread with the other pics.

Great find, Zadok !  (thumbsu

14 minutes ago, GoldFinger1969 said:

Nice....not sure if everybody will see them since the title doesn't mention 1933 Saints or whatever....post them in the Saints thread with the other pics.

Great find, Zadok !  (thumbsu

that is stuart's coin.....

The resolution is better but the lighting looks "fake" -- so while the dings and gashes are visible, it's tough to tell how many bagmarks and other blemishes are on the fields and devices that aren't being shown.  This looks like a photo you'd use to give to an artist to paint the coin.

I do see a line across Liberty's left arm and another one on her right-most hair strand.  The coin APPEARS to otherwise have clean fields and nice devices but I want to see it in natural lighting.

Hopefully, we get real-life pics of the coin as we approach the auction in 1 month. (thumbsu 

It's only 700x700 pixels. Not enough resolution to allow comparison with other 1933s. Also, flat lighting hides marks.

The one in the other thread was 970x970 pixels.

Was there an attempt to copy the PCGS photo?

Edited by RWB

This image seems slightly sharper compared to the TVs, I agree that two look very similar and that they could be the same image.

Only a month to go before hammer drops on this one, the anticipation is building. GF did you see the video NGC posted of Salzberg looking it over? There is nothing worth mentioning in it but a Saints crazy guy like yourself might enjoy it.

Here's a link to the article with video. The One That Got Away: In June, the Only 1933 Double Eagle That Can Be Owned Will Be Sold | NGC (ngccoin.com) 

53 minutes ago, RWB said:

Neither photo is good enough to die match against other 1933s. I wonder if that was intentional, or if no one over there cared.

Were you able to die match for the book with access to better photos, Roger ?  

You have pics of all the coins in the 1933 chapter.

On 5/6/2021 at 11:37 AM, RWB said:

Neither photo is good enough to die match against other 1933s. I wonder if that was intentional, or if no one over there cared.

Maybe no one cares because this is the only one legal in private hands.

After taking a closer look at this unremarkable, plain-looking coin with no redeeming attributes whatsoever -- original mint luster long gone, half the date shot, exceptionally unexceptional eye appeal -- and ample evidence of a bear claw swipe having caused serious physical injury to Liberty's lower left extremity despite her being armed with a menacing torch, held high, kudos to the Great Zadok for providing confirmatory documentary proof of significant damage conspicuously unemphasized in pre-auction promotional materials. My reaction? Quoting the cartoon character, Popeye the Sailor Man: "That's all I can stands, I can't stands no more." Surely there are more suitable places one can go to park one's money.

16 minutes ago, Quintus Arrius said:

After taking a closer look at this unremarkable, plain-looking coin with no redeeming attributes whatsoever -- original mint luster long gone, half the date shot, exceptionally unexceptional eye appeal -- and ample evidence of a bear claw swipe having caused serious physical injury to Liberty's lower left extremity despite her being armed with a menacing torch, held high, kudos to the Great Zadok for providing confirmatory documentary proof of significant damage conspicuously unemphasized in pre-auction promotional materials. My reaction? Quoting the cartoon character, Popeye the Sailor Man: "That's all I can stands, I can't stands no more." Surely there are more suitable places one can go to park one's money.

It's a pretty non-descript coin.  I think an MCMVII Ultra High Relief is a much better investment AND a better-looking coin.

There's always the possibility that the Switt-Langbord coins come out.  Pretty sure no more 1907 UHR's out there.