• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2021 quarters
2 2

9 posts in this topic

I got a new roll of 2021 P quarters. I noticed several of them has been struck off the same dies cause they got a matching die crack on them. Also noticed the ones with the die crack all have the same abrasive lines on them by Washingtons chin. Could this be something that was on the die?  Because they are all at the same angle and in the same spot. The only ones that have them are the same ones with the same die crack. The lines seem to go to the device then stop. Could it have been when they tried to polish the die they abraided it pretty badly?  Here's 2 different ones in the pictures below for an example. I also noticed that the lines get lighter on some as the die crack grows larger. I also know these coins are only worth face value and they will bring no premium. I'm just curious and trying to figure out what caused such rough abrasions on that die. Are those where they polished the die?Polish_20210505_102305303.jpg.ddf35ecd9c96b547ba412a263612195a.jpgPolish_20210505_102117106.jpg.2f34d723af6097d5e6594e127bc08d05.jpg

I’ve seen this on both quarters and dimes of 20/21 minting. And so many die breaks it’s insane. They are clearly trying to stretch every mile they can out of the dies. 

Those also had a die crack on them. They were all pretty rough looking to. The best one out of the whole roll may grade ms64. I've never seen so many brand new quarters look that terrible. 

Two of the three Washington Crossing (P mint) quarters that my wife brought home Monday were absolutely gorgeous “keepers”. Maybe MS66 or better. As I wrote elsewhere, the third one was obviously a roll end coin and was pretty rough.

The ones in this roll were beat up real bad and white milky stuff all over them. I guess it's the soap or whatever that they wash the planchets in. They had abrasions all over them also. Looks like they bagged them all up together and put them in a paint shaker. 

This is an ideal opportunity for jokesters at Philly and Denver to create 2021 "mules". The ATB obverse with the Washington Crossing reverse, and vice versa.

4 minutes ago, VKurtB said:

This is an ideal opportunity for jokesters at Philly and Denver to create 2021 "mules". The ATB obverse with the Washington Crossing reverse, and vice versa.

Very true, design changeovers are a great time for mint hijinks.