• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1954 S/D Nickel

11 posts in this topic

Hey guys I was wondering if sending this in for grading would add value to it? I’m not sure because it wouldn’t get a high grade I’m sure. Or should I sell it as a raw ungraded coin? If so what would be a good price to ask for it? 

2E11C93A-FD3D-40EA-9C09-3F068E313269.jpeg

659670D0-AAAA-425B-89C5-B541CBD9931B.jpeg

8EBF313C-27AE-40CB-AF92-5E570AD4DF66.jpeg

I would not spend the money to grade it, in Mar 2020 an MS64 was auctioned at Heritage and sold for $65 which likely was break even or in the red for the seller after sellers fees.  Impossible to comment on a possible grade/value from just these two close ups (remember to post full shots of both sides in the future) but I'm assuming this is a circulated coin, so I would guess its value is far less than the MS64 example I cited. 

Honestly the "D: in the background appears to be a "S", you can see the curvature of the S below IMO. The upper S appears to have After Mint damage that has distorted it.....
....but I have been wrong before :nyah:

Edited by EdG_Ohio

2 hours ago, DWLange said:

Don't forget that there's an excellent variety reference right here at NGC:

https://www.ngccoin.com/variety-plus/united-states/nickels/jefferson-five-cents-1938-date/816140/

That is very cool. I was wondering if NGC had a price chart for Proof and Mint sets, If so could you please post a link DWLange Thank you ,JP

3 hours ago, DWLange said:

Don't forget that there's an excellent variety reference right here at NGC:

https://www.ngccoin.com/variety-plus/united-states/nickels/jefferson-five-cents-1938-date/816140/

Thanks for that link DWLange.  I have to agree it's definitely the S/D.  The underlying serif you see is definitely a D.  Not only in comparison to the pics on the supplied link here, VV, and the OP's coin, but the bottom serif of the D is too pronounced and more triangular shaped which is not consistent with any lower serifs every produced on an S mint mark which are more "bulb" or "tear-drop" shaped.  Just my take on the matter..... Nice find!(thumbsu

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

I was wondering if NGC had a price chart for Proof and Mint sets.

NGC provides values only for individual, certified coins.