• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

First CAC submission sent, i have high hopes for a couple posted

50 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, GoldFinger1969 said:

It's definintely irksome to some collectors here, too. 

Yes, I am sure it is.  I would love to know if my 1860 D $2.5  in NGC AU 53 has been there.  However, after all this time I have come to the conclusion Mr. Albanese is running his company his way.

We are only spectators in this game.

Edited by Alex in PA.
Spelling

2 hours ago, Alex in PA. said:

Yes, I am sure it is.  I would love to know if my 1860 D $2.5  in NGC AU 53 has been there.  However, after all this time I have come to the conclusion Mr. Albanese is running his company his way.  We are only spectators in this game.

That too, Alex, but I was thinking more of some of the veterans here who feel their very nice top-notch collections are being dissed professionally and financially ($$$) because they don't have or want to go out and get CAC stickers.

19 hours ago, GoldFinger1969 said:

That too, Alex, but I was thinking more of some of the veterans here who feel their very nice top-notch collections are being dissed professionally and financially ($$$) because they don't have or want to go out and get CAC stickers.

taking that one step further...im sure there were n are top-notch collectors who felt the same way bout getting their whitman/dansco/raymond album coins certified back in the 1980s or now....u either do it or u dont....personal choice...

23 minutes ago, zadok said:

taking that one step further...im sure there were n are top-notch collectors who felt the same way bout getting their whitman/dansco/raymond album coins certified back in the 1980s or now....u either do it or u dont....personal choice...

Yup....but at least the initial TPG certification was an independent appraisal rather than dealers and collectors each with vested interests.

Some people don't like that CAC is sort of a 2nd TPG....grading the grader, in effect. xD

But as someone posted on another forum.....if you dislike or complain about grade inflation, you can't argue against CAC. (thumbsu

1 hour ago, GoldFinger1969 said:

Some people don't like that CAC is sort of a 2nd TPG....grading the grader, in effect.

Yes, correct.  And this theory has, over the years, caused people to no longer trust the TPGs.  If I cannot trust the grade of my coin assigned by NGC that means I MUST send it to CAC.  And if it fails to CAC a now educated collector will no longer send his/her coins to the TPGs.  I believe we're seeing a resurrection of the Whitman album sales.

Definition: grade inflation is the loosening of grading standards for the purpose of grading coins at a higher number on the 70 point ANA grading scale.  Numismatic News Dec 20 2010

well i got the news from CAC today.  8 of my 19 coins submitted "passed".  im not sure if that means green or possible gold??  the 1883 CC DMPL "passed" and that was the one i had the highest hopes for.  I will look at the coins that didnt and try to figure out what the "green bean" qualities are.  i guess for my first submission it isnt a bridge jumper but i thought i had a good shot at 50 percent as many of the coins looked high quality to me.  I have already sealed my second submission and if i can ever figure out how to take pictures will post the results.  sending in some 21 peace dollars and a couple 34s peace so the next one might be a heartbreaker:facepalm:

That's probably not to bad for a first submission, congrats. More good news, for you I think, is that NGC is now recognizing CAC coins in the registry. 

The NGC Registry Will Soon Recognize CAC Coins | NGC (ngccoin.com) 

Love to see some pics of the "beaned" coins when you get them back.

33 minutes ago, Fenntucky Mike said:

NGC is now recognizing CAC coins in the registry. 

The NGC Registry Will Soon Recognize CAC Coins | NGC (ngccoin.com) 

Oh boy. This is going to stir the pot for sure. I’ll bet we see very different opinions on this. Some will like it, some will not. I’m glad business strike nickels don’t get beans. :popcorn:
BTW Congrats on the beans @dollarfan!

Edited by Lem E
Add

4 minutes ago, Lem E said:

Oh boy. This is going to stir the pot for sure. I’ll bet we see very different opinions on this. Some will like it, some will not.

Absolutely, I don't think there will be separate CAC and non CAC sets, this could get the competitive juices flowing. More so if the rankings change. It'll be interesting to watch this evolve in the registry and the amount of coins getting CAC'd.. 

58 minutes ago, dollarfan said:

well i got the news from CAC today.  8 of my 19 coins submitted "passed".  im not sure if that means green or possible gold??  the 1883 CC DMPL "passed" and that was the one i had the highest hopes for.  I will look at the coins that didnt and try to figure out what the "green bean" qualities are.  i guess for my first submission it isnt a bridge jumper but i thought i had a good shot at 50 percent as many of the coins looked high quality to me.  I have already sealed my second submission and if i can ever figure out how to take pictures will post the results.  sending in some 21 peace dollars and a couple 34s peace so the next one might be a heartbreaker:facepalm:

Congrats on your results, passed = green bean, exceeded = gold bean.

1 hour ago, Coinbuf said:

Congrats on your results, passed = green bean, exceeded = gold bean.

thanks coinbuf,  if that 1883 dmpl wasnt gold then i think i will be happy with the green beans i can muster.   on another link i saw you posted something about a camera guy?  what would be the cost for a full setup roughly

2 hours ago, dollarfan said:

thanks coinbuf,  if that 1883 dmpl wasnt gold then i think i will be happy with the green beans i can muster.   on another link i saw you posted something about a camera guy?  what would be the cost for a full setup roughly

I have not checked his website for awhile, when I did my setup from Ray I worked with him to customize as I already had a copy stand and lights.  As I recall one of his base systems was around $450ish all in around $500 with shipping.  He does offer some additional items, most are for super close-up work but I do recommend getting his diffuser which greatly helps with getting the lighting dialed in.   That $450 package was for the camera, software, lens, basic stand, and lights if memory serves me well.  But if you have any of those items already then I'm sure that Ray can work with you to provide the pieces to fill in the gaps.  Ray's website

18 hours ago, Coinbuf said:

I have not checked his website for awhile, when I did my setup from Ray I worked with him to customize as I already had a copy stand and lights.  As I recall one of his base systems was around $450ish all in around $500 with shipping.  He does offer some additional items, most are for super close-up work but I do recommend getting his diffuser which greatly helps with getting the lighting dialed in.   That $450 package was for the camera, software, lens, basic stand, and lights if memory serves me well.  But if you have any of those items already then I'm sure that Ray can work with you to provide the pieces to fill in the gaps.  Ray's website

thanks coinbuf,  i reached out to him via website.  i am looking for top quality with ease of use:wishluck:

On 5/12/2021 at 10:10 PM, Coinbuf said:

coinbuf,   i talked to RAY several times via email,  seems like a very helpful guy,  purchased the system he recommended with all the bells and whistles for right at 7 franklins.  I am excited to finally be able to take a half-way decent picture (hopefully):makepoint:  thanks again for the lead!   i will post my green beans and future hopefuls  

On 5/12/2021 at 5:14 PM, dollarfan said:

well i got the result from my second CAC submission of 19 coins.  once again 8 of 19 got grean beans.  i am gonna go on a limb and say i should be ecstatic trying to maintain an average of almost 50%   i have 3 more submissions already out the door registered and they have received one of those.  I purchased the camera setup recommended by RAY the camera guy and it is amazing.  i still dont have any idea what im doing but it is obvious the equipment just needs a skilled operator.  here are a couple pics and please let me know if you have any photo tips.  i am really having a hard time catching the "BLAST WHITE" of the coins.

IMG_0011.JPG

IMG_0012.JPG

IMG_0020.JPG

Some great looking coins! That 28 Peace is a beauty! I’d say 50% turn out isn’t too shabby at all. “Full of beans” is a good thing in this case. Sorry no camera tips for you from me. I just send mine off. You will get the hang of it soon enough. I think the pics are pretty good. Congrats on another bean batch. Hope your others do well.

The shots look real nice and clear Dollarfan You may have to use a different light. try it with your cell phone light on the coin and see if that helps. I also find a florescent light for a background light helps the white come out more. Some LED are whiter than others. it will be a lot of testing but once you get it you will have some real cool photos. I love your collection by the way, real classy coins