• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

First CAC submission sent, i have high hopes for a couple posted

50 posts in this topic

6 minutes ago, Alex in PA. said:

Your 83 CC looks good.  I hope you get the Gold.  It's a good looking coin.

thanks alex, yes it is better in hand.  i had doubles of that one already but purchased this one immediately.  way nicer than most 63 scatter faces.

My guess:

83-CC green

85-CC not CAC, too much field chatter

78-CC not CAC, again too much field chatter

91-CC green

Both the 83 and 91 look under graded but I'm not sure from the photos that a gold bean will be awarded.  It seems that very often to get a gold bean the coin has to be almost two grades under graded.

1 minute ago, Coinbuf said:

My guess:

83-CC green

85-CC not CAC, too much field chatter

78-CC not CAC, again too much field chatter

91-CC green

Both the 83 and 91 look under graded but I'm not sure from the photos that a gold bean will be awarded.  It seems that very often to get a gold bean the coin has to be almost two grades under graded.

thanks coinbuf!  yes being a newbie to this i wondered if field chatter would be a bean death sentence.  how much do they weigh "strike" for MS64 and below coins?  it is rare for me to find fully struck CC's in those grades period.

Just now, dollarfan said:

thanks coinbuf!  yes being a newbie to this i wondered if field chatter would be a bean death sentence.  how much do they weigh "strike" for MS64 and below coins?  it is rare for me to find fully struck CC's in those grades period.

I cannot say what factors JA uses or if he has any special considerations when reviewing the coins sent in, I suspect that given the many tens of thousands of coins he has seen that it is not difficult for him to quickly discern the nice for the grade coins.  I would not consider the field chatter an automatic death sentence, over the years it has always seemed to me that the TPG's were rather lenient on that for CC Morgans due to the rough handling they received during transportation from the Carson City mint.  I have never heard JA express any thoughts on that issue that I can recall so its very possible that my guesses are overly critical, please update with your results as it will be interesting to see how you do.

1 minute ago, Coinbuf said:

I cannot say what factors JA uses or if he has any special considerations when reviewing the coins sent in, I suspect that given the many tens of thousands of coins he has seen that it is not difficult for him to quickly discern the nice for the grade coins.  I would not consider the field chatter an automatic death sentence, over the years it has always seemed to me that the TPG's were rather lenient on that for CC Morgans due to the rough handling they received during transportation from the Carson City mint.  I have never heard JA express any thoughts on that issue that I can recall so its very possible that my guesses are overly critical, please update with your results as it will be interesting to see how you do.

i sure will.  registered tracking shows it will arrive tomorrow/

3 minutes ago, Coinbuf said:

in my next submissions i want to get my 34S peace dollars in there.  i have an AU58 that looks 63 or better to me,  a 61 old green holder that looks better, a 62 that looks right, a 63 that looks right and a 64+ that is extremely solid.  i am wondering if i should submit consecutively in same submission or one at a time or?? i dont know.  i know that looking at the au58 next to the 62 or 63 makes me ill.  would it be better to isolate?

I see no reason to split up the submissions, that only costs you more in shipping and overhead fees.  I have heard of dealers splitting a coin that they feel is a possible problem or questionable color coin when sending to the TPG's in order to not put extra suspicion on other coins; but I don't see that as an issue with CAC.   When I submit to CAC I send a full page of coins or as close as I possibly can, that splits the shipping and overhead costs over a larger number of coins.

53 minutes ago, GoldFinger1969 said:

Is there a way to check on the CAC site if the coin was previously submitted by an earlier owner ?

CAC does not release cert numbers of coins already reviewed but not CAC stickered as to not blackball future sellers

Good luck on them my friend. Those are some absolute beauties. I can only dream of owning one as nice as those are. Some fine looking coins. No doubt in my mind you will have a whole bean patch when they come back. 

3 minutes ago, Hoghead515 said:

Good luck on them my friend. Those are some absolute beauties. I can only dream of owning one as nice as those are. Some fine looking coins. No doubt in my mind you will have a whole bean patch when they come back. 

thank you brother.  LOL  yeah a bean patch would be nice but im hoping for just a couple golden sprouts:pullhair:

thank you brother.  LOL  yeah a bean patch would be nice but im hoping for just a couple golden sprouts:pullhair:

I'm hoping for you to. I'll keep my fingers crossed. I always label all my slab holders. I got this one I'm gonna put nothing but CAC coins in it. I'm gonna label it "Row of Beans"  xDPolish_20210503_163909175.thumb.jpg.ec6eeb29a20829b8fc8b0cf8d89fee51.jpg

14 minutes ago, dollarfan said:

gold...few n far between, i see couple greenies.....as for peace dollars, gold almost impossible from personal experiences....

14 minutes ago, Hoghead515 said:

I'm hoping for you to. I'll keep my fingers crossed. I always label all my slab holders. I got this one I'm gonna put nothing but CAC coins in it. I'm gonna label it "Row of Beans"  xD

I hope nobody hungry gets into that one.  :roflmao:

1 minute ago, zadok said:

gold...few n far between, i see couple greenies.....as for peace dollars, gold almost impossible from personal experiences....

zadok which ones do you feel have a shot  and what characteristics make you feel negatively on the others, ie:  field chatter face hits ect  thanks!   i was a peace guy before i got hooked on morgans  im really curious about my 34s group i have from au58 thru ms64+

zadok which ones do you feel have a shot  and what characteristics make you feel negatively on the others, ie:  field chatter face hits ect  thanks!   i was a peace guy before i got hooked on morgans  im really curious about my 34s group i have from au58 thru ms64+

83-cc....green

85-cc....no, lots of chatter

78-cc....no, again excessive chatter

91-cc....iffy, but prob green

9 minutes ago, dollarfan said:

remember to cac its how that date coin in that grade compares to other coins same date in that same grade...not how it compares to all other coins in same series.....peace dollars historically have lots of issues, in my opinion much more diff to cac, especially gold beans....i have worked on a peace dollar cac set in ogh (first gen) for many years, getting there but only one gold.....

10 minutes ago, zadok said:

remember to cac its how that date coin in that grade compares to other coins same date in that same grade...not how it compares to all other coins in same series.....peace dollars historically have lots of issues, in my opinion much more diff to cac, especially gold beans....i have worked on a peace dollar cac set in ogh (first gen) for many years, getting there but only one gold.....

yeah i can see that being a difficult set,   what are you finding the elusive dates if it ok to ask..  i have alot of peace dollars

2 minutes ago, dollarfan said:

yeah i can see that being a difficult set,   what are you finding the elusive dates if it ok to ask..  i have alot of peace dollars

if u r talking peace dollars in general, they r all available, i dont collect peace dollars nor morgans (most over rated series out there), i just thought it interesting to assemble a set in ogh n all cac....available in ogh but finding cac eligible coins much more diff, u can assemble complete peace dollar set in one day if u want to, but not in ogh cac....many of the "key" date peace in ogh have been broken out n resubmitted to get one grade jumps so scarcer n usually overpriced by 30-40%...in my opinions none of the "keys" r really rare....i just started the ogh cac set because bored more than anything else, im not a big fan of any US 20th century series including saints, dont really find them interesting or challenging, mostly consider them bullion coins as far as collecting goes....

9 minutes ago, Alex in PA. said:

very well said dollarfan.  The problems is, after ten years in business and millions of coins sent to CAC, people have begun to view coins, even great looking ones, as second classif they don't have a bean.  This in itself has got to hurt some dealers.

It's definintely irksome to some collectors here, too.