• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Newbie Here - Need a road Map

29 posts in this topic

The numbers are a scale that goes from 1-70.  1 being poor. 70 the best. Ms is mint state from 60 up. Ag is about good.  If you see one around 53 or 58 on it. It means it's about uncirculated but does show some wear. 

Pr is poor shape.  F means fine. Xf means extra fine. The scale from 1 to 70 is called a Sheldon scale. A coin gets assigned a numerical grade from it based on the condition its in. 

Edited by Hoghead515

15 hours ago, tomlindemann said:

On the NGC Morgan Dollar price Guide - there are several designations I don;t know the meaning of -

Across the top "Desig" (MS - MSPL - MSDPL) Then "PrAg" - then "53" "55" "58" etc. Here is a link to the Morgan guide -  https://www.ngccoin.com/price-guide/united-states/dollars/49/  Thanks! Tom

Are you just starting out collecting ?  What are your interests, coin-wise ?

We can recommend some excellent books, websites, and threads here @ NGC if you let us know.

Edited by GoldFinger1969

Yes essentially just starting out. I did some coin collecting in my youth - decades ago. 

I am mostly interested in accumulating precious metals, primarily silver and also some gold. Silver dollars interest me because they have the value of the silver and the additional collectorvalue. 

44 minutes ago, tomlindemann said:

Yes essentially just starting out. I did some coin collecting in my youth - decades ago. 

I am mostly interested in accumulating precious metals, primarily silver and also some gold. Silver dollars interest me because they have the value of the silver and the additional collectorvalue. 

Welcome to the forum and back to collecting. If you are interested in accumulating or “stacking” PMs, buying bars of silver or gold may be something you want to think about. You can get them in several different sizes and the bigger you go, the less you will pay overall. You will usually pay less of a premium on bars over coins and get more bang for your buck. You could do a mix of bars and coins if you want to as well. It all depends on weather you are looking more at collecting or investing. Just wanted to throw that out there for you to consider. Whatever you do, I hope you have fun with it. 

16 hours ago, tomlindemann said:

Yes essentially just starting out. I did some coin collecting in my youth - decades ago. I am mostly interested in accumulating precious metals, primarily silver and also some gold. Silver dollars interest me because they have the value of the silver and the additional collectorvalue. 

Welcome !!  (thumbsu

We have some good threads on silver and gold here, as well as the classic coins that use them.  I have a few Morgan Silver Dollars as well as Saint-Gaudens Double Eagles.  Also, some silver commemoratives of various types.

I'm what some would call an eclectic Type collector -- not a registry player, whatever suits my fancy. xD  I'd like to add a bit more gold (and silver) bullion -- not so much bars but modern coins and/or classics pre-1933.  Also coins with a bit of numismatic value that sell for a steep premium to the underlying silver or gold metallic value but which I like for artisitic and numismatic reasons.

12 minutes ago, tomlindemann said:

Advice on cleaning silver dollars - is it a no-no?

If it's OK to clean them - what material would you use?

it is a no-no, you would be well advised to leave them alone.  If you must then a simple rinse in pure acetone can be done safely, more than that and you are at great risk of damaging the coins and losing the collector value.

19 minutes ago, Coinbuf said:

it is a no-no, you would be well advised to leave them alone.  If you must then a simple rinse in pure acetone can be done safely, more than that and you are at great risk of damaging the coins and losing the collector value.

Thank you

48 minutes ago, tomlindemann said:

Suggestions on where to buy silver or gold bars?

I would try places like APMEX, JMBULLION, SDBULLION. 

Tom, as far as silver dollars....are you looking at graded or non-graded coins ?   Are you looking at coins with a bit of numismatic value (graded) or largely numismatic (graded and rare) ?

Any interest in gold coins (graded/non-graded) ?

Even if you haven't bought any, let us know what you are looking at or what tickles your fancy.  We can recommend threads, websites, auctions sites, and maybe some specific coins if you tell us what you like and/or your immediate budget (no need to buy everything right away).

On 5/3/2021 at 11:19 AM, Hoghead515 said:

MS means mint state

MSPL means mint state proof like 

MSDPL means mint state deep proof like 

Actually in this case it DOESN'T mean Mint State, it means "business strike".  The TPG's separate coins into two categories Business strikes and Proofs and they use MS to indicate Business strikes.  This used to confuse a lot of people back in the days of Body Bags because coins would come back in body bags  but with an MS on the label and they thought they were calling it Mint State (even if the coin was obviously worn)  That is why you have prices listed for the circulated coins in the row that says MS (Very few prices for circulated coins in the PL or DPL rows because in general they don't give those designations to coins that grade less than 60.)