• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1944 steel penny

19 posts in this topic

8 minutes ago, Manuel maturino said:

1944 steel penny I wanna get it graded cause I looked it up and it sticks to the magnet and it weights 2.6 grams so does it mean it's real

Hard to tell from uncropped photos, but looks plated to me. With that level of wear, a real Zn-clad steel penny does not look like yours.

Before you spend the money to gave it graded, it won’t grade very high, please have a professional numismatist (coin dealer) check it out. The 19 and the 44 are inconsistent which concerns me as this coin is often counterfeit.

good luck.

Just now, JKK said:

Hard to tell from uncropped photos, but looks plated to me. With that level of wear, a real Zn-clad steel penny does not look like yours.

It sticks to the magnet and it weights 2.6 grams

1 minute ago, Mr.Bill347 said:

Before you spend the money to gave it graded, it won’t grade very high, please have a professional numismatist (coin dealer) check it out. The 19 and the 44 are inconsistent which concerns me as this coin is often counterfeit.

good luck.

So it can be counterfeit but it sticks to the magnet and it weights 2.6 grams 

Not many were known to be around it could be the real deal. It is hard to tell from the photo but the 4 on the end does not look like the other 4. I am no expert that is for sure you may want to take it to someone local before sending it off

21 minutes ago, Manuel maturino said:

It sticks to the magnet and it weights 2.6 grams

Well, if you think it's genuine, send it in and find out.

Just now, Manuel maturino said:

Idk where to go I'm from Dallas texas and I just don't want to go to just anybody

If only you were on the website of one of the top three grading services in the country. Failing that, might show it to a local dealer.

I’d want to know, because if it is real, regardless of grade, you’ve hit the jackpot, if not NGC will let you know or grade it. Either way it would make sense to grade it and find out! The weight is right, the magnet works, there are only 15-20 known to exist.

1944 Steel cent is often counterfeit using a 1943 steel cent removing the last digit and making it a “4” .. the 4 on your coin does look a little funky I’m guessing you found a counterfeit 1944 sure the weight is same cause they used a 1943 steel cent 

Weight and magnetism are not guarantees of authenticity

I can't see enough to offer an opinion, but you should be aware that Chinese copies are available. 

https://m.aliexpress.com/wholesale/1944+steel+penny.html?channel=direct&keywords=1944+steel+penny&catId=0&initiative_id=AS_20210502071201&origin=y&SearchText=1944+steel+penny

While the pics have copy stamped on the coin to comply with US laws, the manufacturer in China may skip this step on production items.

Provenance is also an important clue.  If you recently purchased it on eBay/etsy/Craigslist, I wouldn't be too optimistic.  

Another good way to check is search the web for pics of authentic examples in NGC or PCGS holders and compare the characteristics.

Finally, you mentioned you lived in Dallas.  Heritage Auctions is well known for numismatics and are in the Dallas metro area

14 hours ago, Manuel maturino said:

Idk where to go I'm from Dallas texas and I just don't want to go to just anybody

Take it to the folks who run your state electric utility -- they're real smart; they will surely know.

PS: The "coin" is counterfeit. Examine the inscriptions and date compared to an authentic 1944 cent.

Edited by RWB

I am sure Most of the members here have one or two steel 1943 pennies I have half a dozen One that is almost to nice to be real a 43 S, and some normal ones. But a 44 Steel is like finding a 43 Copper . If it is to good to be true it probably is.    

S20210503_0001.jpg

2 hours ago, J P Mashoke said:

I am sure Most of the members here have one or two steel 1943 pennies I have half a dozen One that is almost to nice to be real a 43 S, and some normal ones. But a 44 Steel is like finding a 43 Copper . If it is to good to be true it probably is.    

S20210503_0001.jpg

I agree. Chances are bout as good as hitting the Powerball. 

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

It's a modern fake. The definition is poor throughout.

On 5/1/2021 at 8:47 PM, JKK said:

If only you were on the website of one of the top three grading services in the country. Failing that, might show it to a local dealer.

Top two, and in my estimation, the top ONE.