• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1928 -P Peace Dollar
1 1

11 posts in this topic

That’s a nice find. The pictures are blurry so I can’t give a ton of info but it looks AU to me. Whatever you don’t clean it. If it’s a Philadelphia (no mint mark) it’s probably a $300-$350 coin once graded. If selling is your goal this one probably makes sense to grade. 

I can’t see the reverse photo clearly. Is there a mint mark between tail feathers and rim?

Take it to a reputable dealer and get a hands on opinion.  If it will straight grade AU or Better you might also think of using NCS Conservation Service to clean it up.  I have used them, through NGC, four times on CC gold coins and was entirely satisfied.  Also, if NCS does not think they can help they will tell you.  Good luck.

Edited by Alex in PA.

Your photos are too out of focus to give you any real meaningful feedback on condition or grade.  If this is a true 28 P then yes it could be worth sending in for authentication and grading if selling is your goal.   If you plan to keep it in your collection for a long time then there is no immediate rush to send it in unless you suspect its a counterfeit. 

Yes those photos are much better from those I have a slight concern about the coin having been cleaned, the area just right of the head under "Y" sort of looks like a patch of hairlines.  Also just in front of the mouth, but its also quite possible that those areas are just how the toning formed.  If you know of a good coin shop in your area I would walk it in and ask for their opinion, photos are good but an in hand look would be better to see those areas.

Assuming that those areas are fine then I would guess a grade of AU53, the details of the coin support an AU58 grade but I suspect that the grade would be lower due to the heavy hits/cuts on the obv and the slightly negative eye appeal of all the black spots.  Still a nice key date coin.

Value will depend as much on marks and scrapes as anything else; also, if the stains are permanent.  From the last photos maybe EF50 or better.

On 5/1/2021 at 1:09 PM, Alex in PA. said:

Take it to a reputable dealer and get a hands on opinion.  If it will straight grade AU or Better you might also think of using NCS Conservation Service to clean it up.  I have used them, through NGC, four times on CC gold coins and was entirely satisfied.  Also, if NCS does not think they can help they will tell you.  Good luck.

A 4% hit plus cost can make a sub $300 coin a decision play...definatly asking a dealer if they'd send it in is better, odds are youd be using a dealer to send it through for speedier treatment and no membership costs...the 28 is a nice find.

20210504_154538.jpg

20210504_154547.jpg

Just now, Dark Chameleon said:

A 4% hit plus cost can make a sub $300 coin a decision play...definatly asking a dealer if they'd send it in is better, odds are youd be using a dealer to send it through for speedier treatment and no membership costs...the 28 is a nice find.

20210504_154538.jpg

20210504_154547.jpg

This is an ms65 graded 28