• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Storing your NGC graded coins

17 posts in this topic

Hello there,

I was wondering if NGC has a place where they sell containers or something to store the coins that are graded by them? I currenlty have 30 coins graded by NGC and since I am just starting out in my collecting career, I think it would be nice to put them in so they don't get all scratched up.

Thanks!

16 minutes ago, Mr.Bill347 said:

You can purchase NGC boxes here on NGC or both PCGS and NGC boxes on Amazon

Do you happen to have a link to where we can buy them on NGC? I went through the website, but I must be missing it somewhere.

8 minutes ago, SeanW9888 said:

Do you happen to have a link to where we can buy them on NGC? I went through the website, but I must be missing it somewhere.

I got my NGC box at Amazon last year.  I dont think NGC has an online supply store.

What you are storing can also be a factor, the NGC plastic slab boxes are perfectly fine in most situations.  However if you live in a very humid rainy area or if you are collecting copper coins (this is especially true if you collect copper in a humid area) then you might want to look into the Intercept Shield boxes IS boxes.   Whichever storage system you choose I highly recommend the use of desiccant packets, they can be easily inserted into the plastic boxes and periodically dried out to remove any moisture they have absorbed.

18 minutes ago, Coinbuf said:

NGC plastic slab boxes are perfectly fine in most situations.

Exactly.  I've noticed PCGS is now returning my coins in their plastic slab boxes.  Is that a good idea?

19 minutes ago, Alex in PA. said:

Exactly.  I've noticed PCGS is now returning my coins in their plastic slab boxes.  Is that a good idea?

PCGS very often returns submissions in their plastic boxes, they even use those boxes as promotional material to encourage submissions.  A couple of recent examples were the orange boxes that would be use to return submissions of the colored basketball coins, and the current "limited time offer" of mint green boxes.  Is it a good idea, well PCGS thinks so (shrug)

Edited by Coinbuf

42 minutes ago, Coinbuf said:

promotional material to encourage submissions

Thanks very much.  I didn't know that but it does sound good.

I keep my coins in NGC/PCGS plastic boxes , store them in my fireproof gun vault I have a dehumidifier rod in my gun vault I don’t use it don’t really need it but it came with it never seen any rust on my guns anyways  however I keep a small pack of silica gel packets in my slab boxes I bought bulk of 100 small silica gel packs on eBay years ago wasn’t that much just for extra measure ...

On 5/1/2021 at 1:36 PM, Coinbuf said:

What you are storing can also be a factor, the NGC plastic slab boxes are perfectly fine in most situations.  However if you live in a very humid rainy area or if you are collecting copper coins (this is especially true if you collect copper in a humid area) then you might want to look into the Intercept Shield boxes IS boxes.   Whichever storage system you choose I highly recommend the use of desiccant packets, they can be easily inserted into the plastic boxes and periodically dried out to remove any moisture they have absorbed.

I agree with Coinbuf. It is very important to keep  desiccant packets in your slab storage boxes.