• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

looking for a expert !
1 1

13 posts in this topic

how you doing I am looking for a expert on finger feeder  mint machine and the damage it causes to coins.  that's I need an expert on the on the subject when it comes to this machine. it seems like there's not enough people that's has knowledge about this machine. so if I can find somebody you can help me out and give me the knowledge about it I can probably do a little bit more with my education on coins I post a picture of what i believe to be feeder finger damage. 

20212519012532.jpg

20212519012549.jpg

Damage to your dime was produced external to the US Mint in Denver.

Modern Schuler MRH coin presses do not use "feeder fingers" like the old Ulhorn-type toggle presses.

Edited by RWB

As others have said, your coin was damaged after it left the mint.  It wasn't struck on a feeder finger (easy to confirm by weight and composition), nor struck through one.

Here us link with an explanation.  Compare your coins to the pics.

http://www.error-ref.com/stk_thru_feeder_finger/

9 hours ago, RWB said:

Damage to your dime was produced external to the US Mint in Denver.

Modern Schuler MRH coin presses do not use "feeder fingers" like the old Ulhorn-type toggle presses.

thank you. May i ask another question? how come I'm finding some many with almost the damage?. 

1 hour ago, Oldhoopster said:

As others have said, your coin was damaged after it left the mint.  It wasn't struck on a feeder finger (easy to confirm by weight and composition), nor struck through one.

Here us link with an explanation.  Compare your coins to the pics.

http://www.error-ref.com/stk_thru_feeder_finger/

ty for this site. really cool. reading. thanks for everyone's help.  I'm obsessed with these coins. all because I find out whats doing this or who.. I have a total of 6 of them..

57 minutes ago, 19tommy78 said:

thank you. May i ask another question? how come I'm finding some many with almost the damage?. 

Just coincidence. Convenience store parking areas are good places to look for damaged cents, nickels and dimes. Think of them as "coin roadkill." As the buying power of small denominations decreases, customers are less likely to notice the occasional dropped coin or to bother to pick it up. Convenience stores remain large users of cash while many other businesses are rapidly moving to cashless transactions.

Not that it changes the cause of the condition of the OP's coin, but the Schuler presses we're not put into production until, I believe, 2002. The OP's coin would have been minted on the Bliss press, the last of which was retired in the fall of 2005.

Regardless, the damage to the coin was not caused by  a mint press. It is just post mint damage.

This coin was really damaged twice.  

the first time was probably caused by going through a car shredder or, more likely, a crusher and the second time was when it was very inexpertly repaired.  Rather than hammering it flat and then filing so it would work in machines it was just ground down so it would pass through a coin counter or fit into a roll.   These are finally getting removed from circulation and recoined or disposed of but for many years culls accumulated in circulation.  It appears they are even removing a lot of heavily worn coins.  Time marches on.  

Edited by cladking

Schuler installation began in 1969, but I don't have the sequence or denominations used at various times. Doesn't matter as press feeder fingers cause minor scratches. They were not strong enough to mutilate a coin.

Edited by RWB

@cladking I don't think anyone is going to dig up a corpse in a junkyard and try to revive it long after rigor mortis has set in.  What this clad coin needs is a decent burial in a clad coffin.  :roflmao:

17 hours ago, Quintus Arrius said:

@cladking I don't think anyone is going to dig up a corpse in a junkyard and try to revive it long after rigor mortis has set in.  What this clad coin needs is a decent burial in a clad coffin.  :roflmao:

You might be surprised at the number of coins that fall through the cracks to be lost in and then fall out of automobiles.  One of the reasons for high mintages is to replace the coins lost in millions of recycled cars year after year.  Even at car washes there are millions of coins getting sucked up in vacuums or washed into drains.  Coins accumulate under conveyors that feed or empty incinerators.  Numbers are just staggering.  At the auto recyclers the cars are handled very roughly and a few coins often fall out.  Most are undamaged or just scratched but many are severely damaged.  By various means these coins get back into circulation or they accumulate in buckets at banks.  Any time you buy medals, tokens, or coins by the pound you might see these.  Now days even a quarter might not be worth the trouble of repairing but you'd be surprised how quickly a lightly damaged dime like this one can be repaired well enough to actually circulate.  It's just a couple quick blows with a hammer to flatten it back out and then a file to remove anything protruding outside its proper diameter or above the correct thickness.  This coin was done very poorly.  Instead of spending half a minute it was just ground down.   But this dime did not acquire the filed rims naturally and probably not inadvertently.  Someone just wanted to get it in a roll.  Maybe he had 49 dimes and was hellbent on finishing the roll.  

It's not impossible that there are other mechanisms by which this dime appears as it does but the odds are highest that it was damaged inadvertently in a car shredder and then repaired poorly.  Freak accidents and misadventure befall coins every day but some "accidents" are to be expected or are commonplace.  It is interesting such a late date dime is dark and worn but this is not so unusual.  It didn't get the wear after it was damaged and it was dark before it was "fixed".  

Edited by cladking

On 5/2/2021 at 6:30 AM, cladking said:

You might be surprised at the number of coins that fall through the cracks to be lost in and then fall out of automobiles.  One of the reasons for high mintages is to replace the coins lost in millions of recycled cars year after year.  Even at car washes there are millions of coins getting sucked up in vacuums or washed into drains.  Coins accumulate under conveyors that feed or empty incinerators.  Numbers are just staggering.  At the auto recyclers the cars are handled very roughly and a few coins often fall out.  Most are undamaged or just scratched but many are severely damaged.  By various means these coins get back into circulation or they accumulate in buckets at banks.  Any time you buy medals, tokens, or coins by the pound you might see these.  Now days even a quarter might not be worth the trouble of repairing but you'd be surprised how quickly a lightly damaged dime like this one can be repaired well enough to actually circulate.  It's just a couple quick blows with a hammer to flatten it back out and then a file to remove anything protruding outside its proper diameter or above the correct thickness.  This coin was done very poorly.  Instead of spending half a minute it was just ground down.   But this dime did not acquire the filed rims naturally and probably not inadvertently.  Someone just wanted to get it in a roll.  Maybe he had 49 dimes and was hellbent on finishing the roll.  

It's not impossible that there are other mechanisms by which this dime appears as it does but the odds are highest that it was damaged inadvertently in a car shredder and then repaired poorly.  Freak accidents and misadventure befall coins every day but some "accidents" are to be expected or are commonplace.  It is interesting such a late date dime is dark and worn but this is not so unusual.  It didn't get the wear after it was damaged and it was dark before it was "fixed".  

ty so much. ty everyone.