• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Indian Cent Varieties

10 posts in this topic

I find multiple Indian Cents with Variety attributes that are not included in the VarietyPlus listings. Does this mean that NGC will not acknowledge the variety attribute when grading the coin?

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

NGC does add varieties that are sufficiently distinctive and interesting enough to warrant inclusion. When such coins are submitted they are then added to the VarietyPlus website. We don't like to list varieties for which we do not yet have photos.

If you inquiry includes the date and Snow Number we can determine whether it is worth adding.

‘Specifically, I found an 1881 Indian Cent with heavy doubling of “UNITED STATES” on the obverse. I will continue to look for a SNOW number.

Don't bother looking in Snow's book. The doubling around US of A is routine for coins of the period and is known as "Longacre doubling," after the Mint's chief engraver 1844-69. What you're seeing is each letter's shoulder, as created in the master die to fortify the letters and make them more resistant to chipping. The working dies were supposed to be polished sufficiently to remove this feature, but often it was overlooked. A true doubled die would have the doubling on only one side of each letter, instead of all around each letter.

I intend to submit this coin to NGC for conservation and grading. Should I check the checkbox for varieties, mint error, both or neither? NGC has charged me in the past for checking these boxes when the coin didn’t qualify. I don’t want to pay for nothing again. Please advise regarding this coin. Thank you.

I see neither a mint error nor a variety, so there's no reason to check those boxes.