• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Looking for high end type coins

17 posts in this topic

I have been working hard on a type set for the last year. I decided it will be more fun, for me atleast, to have one of everything versus completing some of my sets so I’m pausing to focus on the type set. 

If you have any very nice examples of coins that you may send to say heritage or another auction house, let me know. If it’s something I need we may be able to work something out so that we can both avoid fees and it be a win/win for both sides financially. But I’m looking for near top grades in most types within reason, not on some of the six and seven figure types. 

Examples of some holes I have:

Half cents 
Two cents 
Large Capped bust dime
Actually most draped bust coins 

I am early in the search so a lot of holes to fill. I hate to see fees be paid if you have what I may want so giving this a shot. 

Edited by Woods020

I know. As I said within reason. But the more plentiful types I want to try and get as high grade as reasonable. I am prepared to spend a meaningful amount, but I’m never going to be approaching the upper echelon. I will not be adding an 1804 dollar or 1933 double eagle to my type set 😂

1 hour ago, Woods020 said:

I know. As I said within reason. But the more plentiful types I want to try and get as high grade as reasonable. I am prepared to spend a meaningful amount, but I’m never going to be approaching the upper echelon. I will not be adding an 1804 dollar or 1933 double eagle to my type set 😂

Heck why bother then.:devil:

Gerry Fortin has an 1814 lg capped bust dime in P63 CAC, not sure if that is high enough for you.

Edited by Coinbuf

42 minutes ago, Coinbuf said:

Gerry Fortin has an 1814 lg capped bust dime in P63 CAC, not sure if that is high enough for you.

Yes I would be very interested. If he wants to sell he can contact me. By my thought process, which is more than likely highly skewed, I’m going to try as much as possible to buy within 2 grades to top pop. I’m looking at it as an investment for my heirs as well, and I personally get worried about top pops. It gets crazy quickly, but I am focusing on a point or two below that where it’s still premium quality but not at top pop prices. That’s my current approach anyway. 

6 minutes ago, Woods020 said:

Yes I would be very interested. If he wants to sell he can contact me. By my thought process, which is more than likely highly skewed, I’m going to try as much as possible to buy within 2 grades to top pop. I’m looking at it as an investment for my heirs as well, and I personally get worried about top pops. It gets crazy quickly, but I am focusing on a point or two below that where it’s still premium quality but not at top pop prices. That’s my current approach anyway. 

Sorry I wasn’t aware he had a website. I’ll look on there. Thank you. 

2 hours ago, Coinbuf said:

He has a few things that caught my eye and I’m going to see what he would do on. A lot of it I may be able to better in auction. My intent is to cut out the middle man and save me and a seller some money. So if anyone has something they may auction let me know before and we may be able to cut out fees. On many of the higher end coins 15% makes a huge difference. 

47 minutes ago, Six Mile Rick said:

Any of these work?

https://coins.www.collectors-society.com/registry/coins/SetListing.aspx?PeopleSetID=330973

I have more but would have to check for them and load them up.

Are the ones you have marked as “keepers” ones you aren’t getting rid of?

12 minutes ago, The Neophyte Numismatist said:

You zeroed-in on the Wheat Proof, too ^^

She is a PRETTY PROOF for sure but 1953 PF68 rd's are not cheap!!

$330 shipped and insured. ;)

Edited by Six Mile Rick

13 minutes ago, Six Mile Rick said:

She is a PRETTY PROOF for sure but 1953 PF68 rd's are not cheap!!

$330 shipped and insured. ;)

Nope, they are not.  It would certainly an upgrade to my 1957 Rainbow in MS65, but this is Wood020's thread, and he should get the shots.  Besides, I should focus on a true "hole" in my NGC 7070, before I start upgrading.  

I am a newer collector, too - so I still have LOTS of holes to fill.  (7070 Set Holes)

As your still new Neo I just wanted to let you know that Rick is top shelf and a great guy to buy from.  It can be difficult sometimes to know if you can trust someone on a chat forum but I have bought several coins from Rick with no issues.

@Woods020 appreciate the lookout.  However, I can't justify buying it now, because I need a few others in that price point for the set.  

@Coinbuf Thanks for there validation... it's always nice to know who the good ones are.  I will keep Rick in mind.

@Six Mile Rick Excellent stuff man!

Edited by The Neophyte Numismatist