• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Engraver game
1 1

110 posts in this topic

Another one I recently read. Kind of a two part question to get to the answer. 

This engraver was responsible for engraving the shortest circulated coin design in the U.S.  

8 minutes ago, Woods020 said:

Another one I recently read. Kind of a two part question to get to the answer. 

This engraver was responsible for engraving the shortest circulated coin design in the U.S.  

Braided hair half cent.  Christian Gobrecht  

1 minute ago, Hoghead515 said:

Braided hair half cent.  Christian Gobrecht  

No sir. This coin was often confused with another denomination similar in size and value so was discontinued after only a few years. 

10 hours ago, RWB said:

Sorry, I was not clear. Key was an Assistant Engraver - that was his title. I the mid-1870s William Barber often designated Charles as Acting Engraver when he was on vacation or not at the Mint. Director Linderman suggested that Key be given this 'honor' - largely because he had never had the chance and was clearly not up to making coin and medal designs. There was no meaningful authority to "Acting Engraver" - Key merely signed a few letters or instructed the diesinkers.

There were three "engraver" titles in use from 1876 to Linderman's death: Engraver of the United States Mint at Philadelphia ("Engraver"); Assistant Engraver of the Philadelphia Mint ("Assistant Engraver"); and Special Engraver to the United States Mint ("Special Engraver"). The last mentioned was a Mint HQ title given to George Morgan in 1876 with the intention of placing him on the same technical and authority level as the Engraver (W. Barber). It's worth noting that Engraver of the United States Mint at Philadelphia required a Presidential appointment and Senate confirmation; it was a lifetime appointment. Tthe others were merely administrative appointments.

PS: There was no official title called "Chief Engraver."

is that also true for Second Engraver (John Reich).......

8 hours ago, Hoghead515 said:

3 cent silver. Longacre. 

Nope. It is a silver coin however. Slightly larger denomination. 

27 minutes ago, Moxie15 said:

William Barber 20 cent piece

Two for two! Yes sir. I actually was perusing the mega red book recently and read this little tidbit. 

2 hours ago, Woods020 said:

Two for two! Yes sir. I actually was perusing the mega red book recently and read this little tidbit. 

The Carson Mint was so confused about a silver coin without reeding that they asked for clarification from HQ in Washington. They were told to use a plain collar.

This engraver engraved the Sesquicentennial American Independence half dollar for the 150th anniversary of the signing of America's Independence. Who was he?

Elizabeth Jones was the last "Engraver."

Dir. Moy gave John Mercanti an honorary title of "Chief Engraver" a couple of years before he retired.

Edited by RWB

1 hour ago, Moxie15 said:

So who does the engraving now? HAL 9000?

I think Joseph Menna does alot of it now. But he uses that digital engraving. Doesn't put the talent and love into it that those old engravers did. I like the old designs. Those guys actually used skill to carve the designs out instead of using a computer.