• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Engraver game
1 1

110 posts in this topic

11 hours ago, RWB said:

Here's another engraver quiz question.

Which member of the US Mint Engraving Department spent their career making foliage and logos, yet was Acting Engraver on many occasions?

Sherl Joseph Winter

10 hours ago, RWB said:

Nope, again.

Joseph Menna. I've been researching but just can't find the right things. Looking in the wrong place I think. 

1 hour ago, RWB said:

Nope. Too recent.

Christian Gobrecht. Cause he had to become acting engraver after William Kneass had a stroke. This has got me worried to death. I've read and read. Can you point me to a reference that tells more information about them. 

2 hours ago, Moxie15 said:

Henry Voigt, per chance?

Nope. He was Chief Coiner.

Adam Eckfeldt. I know he was chief coiner but I seen where he also engraved a little. @RWB

Edited by Hoghead515

If Mr. Lange swings and misses I would say it is a hard one. I give up but it did make me do a lot of reading. I’ve got a couple of good questions once this one is answered from that reading. 

1 hour ago, Woods020 said:

If Mr. Lange swings and misses I would say it is a hard one. I give up but it did make me do a lot of reading. I’ve got a couple of good questions once this one is answered from that reading. 

I've wore Wikipedia out trying to get this one. 

Here is one for you HH in the mean time to distract you. Who is the only chief engraver who didn’t engrave a coin for circulation during their tenure?

1 hour ago, Hoghead515 said:

I've wore Wikipedia out trying to get this one. 

OK. since we have a new quiz question, here's the answer to the previous one: William Key. He was assistant engraver under Longace, W. Barber, and C. Barber.

1 minute ago, RWB said:

OK. since we have a new quiz question, here's the answer to the previous one: William Key. He was assistant engraver under Longace, W. Barber, and C. Barber.

I almost said him a couple days ago. 

5 hours ago, RWB said:

so assistant engraver equates to acting engraver?....

49 minutes ago, zadok said:

so assistant engraver equates to acting engraver?....

Sorry, I was not clear. Key was an Assistant Engraver - that was his title. I the mid-1870s William Barber often designated Charles as Acting Engraver when he was on vacation or not at the Mint. Director Linderman suggested that Key be given this 'honor' - largely because he had never had the chance and was clearly not up to making coin and medal designs. There was no meaningful authority to "Acting Engraver" - Key merely signed a few letters or instructed the diesinkers.

There were three "engraver" titles in use from 1876 to Linderman's death: Engraver of the United States Mint at Philadelphia ("Engraver"); Assistant Engraver of the Philadelphia Mint ("Assistant Engraver"); and Special Engraver to the United States Mint ("Special Engraver"). The last mentioned was a Mint HQ title given to George Morgan in 1876 with the intention of placing him on the same technical and authority level as the Engraver (W. Barber). It's worth noting that Engraver of the United States Mint at Philadelphia required a Presidential appointment and Senate confirmation; it was a lifetime appointment. Tthe others were merely administrative appointments.

PS: There was no official title called "Chief Engraver."

Edited by RWB

13 hours ago, Woods020 said:

Here is one for you HH in the mean time to distract you. Who is the only chief engraver who didn’t engrave a coin for circulation during their tenure?

Elizabeth Jones?

15 hours ago, Woods020 said:

Christian Gobrecht 

Edited by Hoghead515

Moxie nailed that one. She was both the first female to hold the position and the only to not engrave a coin for general circulation.