• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Engraver game
1 1

110 posts in this topic

I seen there are several people who enjoyed the history part of coinage. As do I. I am a history freak. I have learned quite a bit lately. But it's only a drop in the bucket of what is still out there to learn. I think this game would really help me and others who want to learn cool facts about the engravers of US coinage. It can be cheif engravers at the Mint or private. As long as it was in the US and had an effect on our coinage or country.  Whoever wants to participate it would be a great and fun way for people to learn more. I'll start it off. Name one or two facts about any engraver. Whoever guesses who it is then they name a couple facts about which engraver they want. And so on.   

Name the engraver: 

This engraver engraved designs for the first gold coins for the US Mint that included a drapery for Miss Liberty. He also designed the Liberty Cap half cent. 

Edited by Hoghead515

22 minutes ago, Woods020 said:

I’ll admit I can only name MAYBE half the chief engravers and what they did. Maybe 

I can only name a very few. Maybe we can all learn some cool facts from each other if we can keep this thread alive for a while. 

this engraver was chief during the demise of many of what some say were our country's  most beautiful designs and designed one of the replacement designs himself

1 hour ago, Moxie15 said:

this engraver was chief during the demise of many of what some say were our country's  most beautiful designs and designed one of the replacement designs himself

It isn't James Longacre is it?  I'm just taking a guess. I read about him while back. I remember him designing one of the replacements I'm pretty sure. I'm thinking it was the Indian Head Cent. And he replaced Gobrecht. And you said it was in demise of some of the most beautiful designs. Gobrecht designed the Seated Liberty coins, which I'm going by my opinion, are some of the most beautiful designs. So I'm gonna take a wild guess and say Longacre. 

I've had alot of fun reading and studying in this hobby. The more I read, the more I like it. I can remember some things I read and some things I can't. I'm slowly learning more as I've been rereading alot of it. I'm still trying to get these engravers figured out. The more I keep studying the more I can remember but I'm still very fuzzy on most. I've read more on Longacre than any of them. I hope I got that right because I really feel in my heart  it was Longacre. If I did get it wrong then it will still help me learn. 

Who designed/engraved the Barber dollar and the Morgan dime?

Edited by RWB

I would argue almost that Morgan was the answer to Moxie’s. But I guess it depends on which designs you regard as the best. But I much prefer the designs before Morgan was engraver vs after myself. 

2 hours ago, Moxie15 said:

@Hoghead515it is not Longacre, Think 20th 

John Sinnok ?  He was from the 20th century. Coins were getting the more modern look to them. Don't know a whole lot about him tho. 

12 hours ago, RWB said:

Your old friend John Carr I assume? 😂. Couldn’t resist. 

5 hours ago, Hoghead515 said:

John Sinnok ?  He was from the 20th century. Coins were getting the more modern look to them. Don't know a whole lot about him tho. 

Yep. Designed Franklin half, although Frank Gasparo did all the work after Sinnock died.

14 hours ago, RWB said:

Nobody on this one?

I remember reading where he put his design on a dime during my research. The design he used on his dollars. Don't know what else became of it. 

11 minutes ago, Hoghead515 said:

I remember reading where he put his design on a dime during my research. The design he used on his dollars. Don't know what else became of it. 

yep he did set of patterns on dime quarter half, there a set in the smithsonian collection...

How bout this one. He was never officially commissioned as a cheif engraver even though people considered him as such. He was a portrait painter also and was very talented. His life and career was cut short from yellow fever. Who is he?

Edited by Hoghead515

3 hours ago, RWB said:

OK. This is something of a tricky question. I'm sure Mr. Lange saw through it instantly.

Most early coin folders and coin boards called the standard silver dollar a "Barber dollar" even though designed by George Morgan. The dime of 1892-1916 was often labeled "Morgan Dime" on coin boards, although the coin was designed (reluctantly, it appears) by Charles Barber.

1 hour ago, RWB said:

OK. This is something of a tricky question. I'm sure Mr. Lange saw through it instantly.

Most early coin folders and coin boards called the standard silver dollar a "Barber dollar" even though designed by George Morgan. The dime of 1892-1916 was often labeled "Morgan Dime" on coin boards, although the coin was designed (reluctantly, it appears) by Charles Barber.

I figured that was one of those tricky questions.