• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1968 D Washington Quarter circulated with Ring around the head.

5 posts in this topic

I have a circulated1968 Washington D quarter with an interesting circle completely around Washington's head and through the lettering. See the photo.
I'm an greenhorn so forgive the lack of experience!!! 

Is this a mint error ? Sorry about the photo but I am technology challenged. Interested to hear what folks think? Thank you.

837281242_1968DWashingtonQuarterwithCirclearoundhead2.thumb.jpg.a2458def8b59a145980206e36158ca33.jpg

Welcome to the forum.  I'm going to have to say these are what are called lathe lines due to their concentric pattern, not die polishing marks/scratches which are more linear.  Lathe lines seem to be more common on modern Lincoln cents I believe but still a pretty neat example for a Washington.  

4 minutes ago, JKK said:

No. It is post-mint damage. Fortunately it can't drop the value below $0.25.

You're correct JKK. I definitely overlooked something.  I just now noticed that the lines are included and on the devices (particularly the top of George's head) which lathe lines would not show there, they only would show on the fields, if I'm correct in saying this..... 

Edited by GBrad