Think you I recently fond a 1943 copper penny metal detection it is in bad shape I wus wondering if it has any value and can ngc athintac it think you any advice be aprechated
3 3

15 posts in this topic

33 minutes ago, Greenstang said:

Welcome to the Forum.

What makes you think that is a 1943?

Welcome Nick....Not many 43 copper pennies were made to begin with they are vary rare ! 

It looks more like a 47 boiled in acid to make it look like bad a 43 LoL

Edited by J P Mashoke
Link to post
Share on other sites

Welcome to NCG! No doubt a metal detecting find and a cleaned up coin but I'm gonna have to say I ain't seeing a 43' on this sucker.  How can I tell you found it metal detecting?? Because I'm "digging" (yes, pun intended) the dirt encrusted and serrated thumbnail in your first pic!!! lol  I too LOVE metal detecting my friend but the probability of unearthing a 1943 copper Linc Wheatie while metal detecting probably carries the same odds as the combined total of:  winning the Lottery Powerball twice, being struck by lightning AND, well...... finding a 1943 copper Linc while detecting.....  To answer your question, it's basically worth face value (or maybe a few more cents due to it being copper).  Good luck though!!!!(thumbsu

Edited by GBrad
Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks like a 47' to me also. The one big bummer about metal detecting is that with all the fertilizers used nowadays and in the past in the soil, and mother nature herself, can eat a coin up in a short period of time.

Link to post
Share on other sites

While I cannot speak for NGC I very much doubt that they would certify this as an authentic 1943 copper cent; my guess is that you will get your coin back labeled as 1947 corroded/damaged. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, J P Mashoke said:

Welcome Nick....Not many 43 copper pennies were made to begin with they are vary rare ! 

It looks more like a 47 boiled in acid to make it look like bad a 43 LoL

Sorry my phone is junk well if you look at it with a loop it look like the steel 3 but it only ways 2.7 I thought it might be experimental strike I fond it in a old school yard metal detexting 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Nick dunfee said:

Sorry my phone is junk well if you look at it with a loop it look like the steel 3 but it only ways 2.7 I thought it might be experimental strike I fond it in a old school yard metal detexting 

Once upon a time it's weight was around 3.11 but time has taken it's toll,,,, kinda like me old and crusty hard to look at , Just wish I could loose weight ... LoL

Link to post
Share on other sites

Seems to be 1947. Unlikely any TPG would authenticate it as any other "date" - or what's left of a date.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/22/2021 at 12:21 PM, GBrad said:

Welcome to NCG! No doubt a metal detecting find and a cleaned up coin but I'm gonna have to say I ain't seeing a 43' on this sucker.  How can I tell you found it metal detecting?? Because I'm "digging" (yes, pun intended) the dirt encrusted and serrated thumbnail in your first pic!!! lol  I too LOVE metal detecting my friend but the probability of unearthing a 1943 copper Linc Wheatie while metal detecting probably carries the same odds as the combined total of:  winning the Lottery Powerball twice, being struck by lightning AND, well...... finding a 1943 copper Linc while detecting.....  To answer your question, it's basically worth face value (or maybe a few more cents due to it being copper).  Good luck though!!!!(thumbsu

The first coin i found metal detecting was besidemy own driveway amongst hot rocks and took 3 days to uncrustbenough to make it out, was a toasty 1914 d penny.....yes its u likely but it does happen...was offerred $100 for it...but I mean toasty is being kind.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dark Chameleon said:

The first coin i found metal detecting was besidemy own driveway amongst hot rocks and took 3 days to uncrustbenough to make it out, was a toasty 1914 d penny.....yes its u likely but it does happen...was offerred $100 for it...but I mean toasty is being kind.

That is a very nice find, however there is quite a difference in the odds of finding a coin with a mintage of over 1 million vs a coin that was never meant to be coined with a coinage guesstimate of ten or less.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Dark Chameleon said:

The first coin i found metal detecting was besidemy own driveway amongst hot rocks and took 3 days to uncrustbenough to make it out, was a toasty 1914 d penny.....yes its u likely but it does happen...was offerred $100 for it...but I mean toasty is being kind.

That’s awesome for sure. (Can’t stand hot rocks though, they’ll drive you crazy!!!) Nice find and kudos for taking the time to uncrust it to discover what year it was. That takes a lot more patience than I would have no doubt! But as Coinbuf said, the mintage of the 43’ copper wasn’t even supposed to happen and only a handful of examples (and that’s being generous) have ever surfaced. I’m not saying it could never ever happen while metal detecting even though that was the gist of my post (I do think that one dude did actually win the Powerball twice many years ago, unbelievably lucky I’d say, but I never read or heard that he’d been struck by lightning...just sayin...) but the odds of a 43’ bronze find MD’ing  are pretty much nonexistent IMHO. Congrats on your detecting find and keep on digging. I love metal detecting and try to get out as much as I can to do the same. Take care 👍

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/22/2021 at 12:22 PM, EdG_Ohio said:

Looks like a 47' to me also. The one big bummer about metal detecting is that with all the fertilizers used nowadays and in the past in the soil, and mother nature herself, can eat a coin up in a short period of time.

I thought fertilizers only gorged themselves on zincolns...lol.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
3 3