• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Today on cooking with coins...

27 posts in this topic

Interesting examples of "Golden Roast" coinage. Wonder if one can make tea from them?

Presumably the over was preheated before baking. Consider content of the oven remaining from prior baking/broiling events and their contribution to color changes. Heat would accelerate oxidation along with other chemical reactions.

Would results have been different if each coin had been cleaned in acetone before roasting? If clean silver dollar, Ike dollar, and modern small dollar were used, what might happen? Is there a lower temperature/time combination?

Those look yummy.  May be a little hard on my teeth tho.  Interesting how they turned out. Helps a person also see what one looks like afterwards so he may be able to watch out for someone selling them. I may have to bake me a batch of them. 

Electric oven. It was pre-heated to 350 before putting the coins in. The quarter was pre cleaned with acetone, which I assume is why it has a uniform gold color. The dime and penny were not pre cleaned. 

I’m certain different time/heat combinations would make large differences. I’m also thinking of putting something in the oven with a coin, such as an egg with high sulfur content, and see what it does. 

1 hour ago, Woods020 said:

I’m also thinking of putting something in the oven with a coin

Maybe "Cat Bath" has one of his icons available. Then you could have a snack while examining the baking results.

2 minutes ago, Woods020 said:

It really makes you wonder just how many are getting by with AT....

I think you end up with a distinct greenish blue color that kinda gives it away. Especially when it is all over the coin as opposed to the rim or bullseye toning on album toned coins. Copper seems to go more purple. The coins really darken up as well. Just my observations on the few I played with. 

Yikes! Those imitations are U-G-L-Y !

(PS: Copper is not a precious metal and purity is not expressed in thousandths.)

2 hours ago, RWB said:

Yikes! Those imitations are U-G-L-Y !

(PS: Copper is not a precious metal and purity is not expressed in thousandths.)

They were free, which made them good experimental pieces. Those were the “good” looking ones. lol

1 hour ago, Lem E said:

They were free, which made them good experimental pieces. Those were the “good” looking ones. lol

Well.....you still overpaid...  :)

Here’s a picture showing the same coin with a picture taken every few seconds as it went through the AT process using heat. You can stop the process at whatever color you want by removing it from the heat source or heat it unevenly if you want a rainbow effect. The reddish purple and purplish blue are the easiest colors to get with AT and is a giveaway that it’s AT. Also, if the color goes right up and over the letters and portrait like this without changing and without the untoned pull away effect around the raised letters it means the toning happened real fast.

EAD792D6-A2BE-4C22-95D8-13F22FE9184A.jpeg

Edited by Mr_Spud

And here’s a few AT’d using heat and sulphides. I’m not going to give precise instructions though. I used to do this years ago to make AT vs NT displays when I was in the Charlotte Coin Club to educate people, not to rip people off. These pictures are all from then which was about 15 years ago

ACBC024C-DE17-42DE-9086-9EFC46477C87.jpeg

11013FFB-73D4-4B2C-9B2B-53AFF96B4167.jpeg

56561B48-FB78-45D2-9BA7-F18D707236A0.jpeg

2 hours ago, Mr_Spud said:

I just remembered that I took this picture recently of my shelf in my office at work. The AT’d nickels on the top shelf on the left in the capital plastic holder are from an AT vs NT exhibit I made at the request of Jamie Frankie, the artist that designed the westward journey Buffalo nickels that I AT’d, for one of his coin art gallery exhibits. He was an honorary member of the Charlotte Coin Club and the first time he came to our club meeting I gave him a set just like it. He liked it so much he asked me to create the AT vs NT display and he put them in the coin art gallery. This was about 15 years ago and the colors haven’t changed.

4AAB5CF1-2D69-41E4-94F5-4E4A4D84933B.jpeg

That is a very cool story. Thanks for sharing.

15 hours ago, Mr_Spud said:

I just remembered that I took this picture recently of my shelf in my office at work. The AT’d nickels on the top shelf on the left in the capital plastic holder are from an AT vs NT exhibit I made at the request of Jamie Frankie, the artist that designed the westward journey Buffalo nickels that I AT’d, for one of his coin art gallery exhibits. He was an honorary member of the Charlotte Coin Club and the first time he came to our club meeting I gave him a set just like it. He liked it so much he asked me to create the AT vs NT display and he put them in the coin art gallery. This was about 15 years ago and the colors haven’t changed.

4AAB5CF1-2D69-41E4-94F5-4E4A4D84933B.jpeg

This reminds me of my grandfathers office. He had the only pharmacy in the rural county in Alabama I grew up in. He had an office in the back and it was decorated with vintage pharmaceutical paraphernalia like this. I love the look. 

1 hour ago, Woods020 said:

This reminds me of my grandfathers office. He had the only pharmacy in the rural county in Alabama I grew up in. He had an office in the back and it was decorated with vintage pharmaceutical paraphernalia like this. I love the look. 

But not ‘Bama bongs, right? Not that kind of pharmaceuticals. :insane:

7 minutes ago, VKurtB said:

But not ‘Bama bongs, right? Not that kind of pharmaceuticals. :insane:

No, but ironically he did grow a marijuana plant in his store as a display one time. The police department gave him permission. It was short lived because my grandmother was convinced someone would break into the store at night to steal the plant 😂

On 4/20/2021 at 1:16 PM, RWB said:

Maybe "Cat Bath" has one of his icons available. Then you could have a snack while examining the baking results.

Coin doctor caught in the act of preparing the marinade.

baked-cat-640x498.jpg.715e828f72568c16a9add0fa8f06c07e.jpg

Edited by Cat Bath