• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1 cent error

10 posts in this topic

Ok, so I found this in pocket change and immediately put it into a 2x2 holder. I've checked for this error online, 3-4 hrs trying to find another, can't. Any tips or advice on this would be greatly appreciated as I'm a rookie collector. Thanks in advance!! 

IMG_20210418_041801047.jpg

2 hours ago, Woods020 said:

This is often called “zinc rot”

...as opposed to the Heavy Metal band called "Lead Rot." The Light Metal band named "Beryllium Rot" did not do well and was disbanded when it absorbed too many neutrons.

8 hours ago, Woods020 said:

Agree with all answers. In case you are curious I’ll give you a tad bit more info to help understand. 

These cents are composed of an inner core alloy of 99.2% zinc and 0.8% copper with an outer plating of pure copper, for an overall composition of 97.5% zinc and 2.5% copper.

Ironically the zinc and copper don’t like each other that much, so they often times have bubbles of air and gases that build up where the metals don’t adhere properly. This can be seen as lots of individual bubbles on a coin, or in this case a liner plating blister. 

Lastly these can bust, exposing the inner zinc core. Then chemical processes begin to produce zinc oxide, which degrades the coin. This is often called “zinc rot”

So somebody really messed up in 1982 when they came up with that idea. And they still haven't fixed it 40 years later. Kinda like a bad chrome bumper ,, oh wait they don't make those any more. Boy am I getting old. 

4 minutes ago, J P Mashoke said:

So somebody really messed up in 1982 when they came up with that idea. And they still haven't fixed it 40 years later. Kinda like a bad chrome bumper ,, oh wait they don't make those any more. Boy am I getting old. 

I remember those. Lol

49 minutes ago, J P Mashoke said:

These zinc cents are awful in my opinion. I think it’s a result of trying to cut as many corners as possible to produce a cent that doesn’t cost much more to produce than face value. I think they still cost about two cents to produce a cent coin. Their days are numbered for sure. 

6 minutes ago, Woods020 said:

These zinc cents are awful in my opinion. I think it’s a result of trying to cut as many corners as possible to produce a cent that doesn’t cost much more to produce than face value. I think they still cost about two cents to produce a cent coin. Their days are numbered for sure. 

I hate them. I wish they'd find something else to make them with. All they do is corrode. Horrible. 

FYI- the reason for the small amount of copper in the zinc core is to improve bonding between the core and plating. Zinc tends to volatilize at the melting temperature of copper.