• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I'm really gonna do it.

16 posts in this topic

I had my 1940 proof set slabbed in an NGC multi holder. 
BUT.... ever since doing that, I ...NEVER.... look at it.

1940ps.JPG.a66785e1e97de0a9ee783bb7c4800bea.JPG

When it was in the Capital plastic (where it had been since 1955) I looked at it all the time.

I am gonna do the dumb thing.

Crack out and find a Capital proof set holder and go back in time.

(:  

[You've submitted them, they were authenticated, graded and encapsulated by a world-recognized TPGS.  What more do you want?  In our out, you cannot touch them or carry them around in your pocket.  Mission accomplished.

50 minutes ago, Quintus Arrius said:

[You've submitted them, they were authenticated, graded and encapsulated by a world-recognized TPGS.  What more do you want?  In our out, you cannot touch them or carry them around in your pocket.  Mission accomplished.

No bezels for keychains either, I suppose.   :baiting:

I didn't know NGC/PCGS did that -- reslab an entire proof set.  It looks nice !

I have some in those old plastic wraps, maybe I should look into getting them into one of these multi-coin set holders.

2 hours ago, GoldFinger1969 said:

I have some in those old plastic wraps, maybe I should look into getting them into one of these multi-coin set holders.

They don't offer those to the general public any more.

In short, when it was in a Capital proof set thingy, I enjoyed the hell out of it!

It was in that from 1955 until I slabbed them a few years ago.

Now, it's like juggling a dinner plate.

Not quite, but sure clumsy feeling.  If the multi holders were smaller, I think I would like it.

B|

On 4/19/2021 at 7:12 PM, GoldFinger1969 said:

They stopped doing it for the general collector in 2011.  Some dealers can still get them but as a general rule the multi-coin holders are no longer possible.

Just now, Conder101 said:

They stopped doing it for the general collector in 2011.  Some dealers can still get them but as a general rule the multi-coin holders are no longer possible.

Nobody does it ?  Anybody sell the holders and I can put them in myself ungraded ?

You know, if the TPGs and dealers offered this, alot of people would probably pay $$$ to get their coins in something nice and it would also INCREASE the demand for the proof sets as opposed to having them in that flimsy see-through plastic.

1 hour ago, GoldFinger1969 said:

Anybody sell the holders and I can put them in myself ungraded ?

Nope no one sells empty NGC multi-coin holders.  At one time one of the basement slabbing services (SCI) did sell multi-coin holders that were very similar to NGC shells but they are long gone.

1 hour ago, GoldFinger1969 said:

You know, if the TPGs and dealers offered this, alot of people would probably pay $$$ to get their coins in something nice and it would also INCREASE the demand for the proof sets as opposed to having them in that flimsy see-through plastic.

I believe the reason NGC stopped doing it was because it wasn't being utilized that much.  They offered those slabs for something like 8 years.  PCGS also had multi-coin holders as well, although they denied it, then admitted it, and then said they were discontinued, but sets with dates later the year they were discontinued still showed up in the marketplace.  The PCGS holders only lasted something like 4 or 5 years.