• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Obverse Wheel Marks

8 posts in this topic

I had (2) Franklin  Halves graded by NGC and both came back with Obverse Wheel Marks. I would like to learn more about how to identify these as the coins have no value and should not be submitted for grading.  Any good tutorials available...? Any good methods for identifying Wheel Marks...? Anyone have a similar experience...?

29 minutes ago, TWLA said:

I had (2) Franklin  Halves graded by NGC and both came back with Obverse Wheel Marks. I would like to learn more about how to identify these as the coins have no value 

My friend, there is a world of a difference between coins that have numismatic as opposed to 90% silver value.  Every Franklin half, regardless of date, grade or tire marks is worth many times over face. 

If you can post a photo of one of the coins we may be able to point it out.   Wheel marks are a patch of hairlines, usually you need to rotate the coin under a light to find them but sometimes the are easily seen in a good close up photo.  If you google search for wheel marks on coins you should be able to find several images to learn from.

Well ty. I feel like a dumb . Been holding on to these for along time..  even had to sell this at one point and said no. .thanks everyone for the help. .I'll leave with this my coin that got me collecting..

20213017103006.jpg

20213017103038.jpg