• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Big Coin Questions
2 2

70 posts in this topic

We are always watching out for them where my daughter lives in TN. We are always worried for them and then we get 3 last year which has never happened on Cape Cod and one goes through town ripping up trees 200 years old and 4' across it never harmed anyone ? and only minor damage to buildings  

7 minutes ago, J P Mashoke said:

We are always watching out for them where my daughter lives in TN. We are always worried for them and then we get 3 last year which has never happened on Cape Cod and one goes through town ripping up trees 200 years old and 4' across it never harmed anyone ? and only minor damage to buildings  

Those was some bad ones that hit down there. We was a praying for everyone down in there at the time. It leveled alot of places. Where we are we get small ones sometimes. Not too often. Have got a couple major ones that leveled a couple towns. I think the hills help us a little.   I need to build a storm cellar. I'm right at the mouth of a wide open holler. Live in a double wide to. They have a bad history with tornados. 

I saw my very first live tornado in the late summer of 2017 near the little town of Bowmansville, Pennsylvania. It crossed the Pennsylvania Turnpike at Mile Marker 289, and made a total mess of a neighbor's metal roofing materials that he had stacked there. I was about 200 yards away and it freaked me out. It was a little one, maybe an EF1.

Edited by VKurtB
typo

The town I now live in got hammered pretty badly in the April 27, 2011 northern Alabama tornado mega-outbreak. But the house I live in has stood since 1890, so I'm guessing it missed here. When I went to the electric co-op to establish my account, they had pictures hanging of the devastation and the repair crews at work. Not sure that sends a warm fuzzy message to a lifelong Pennsylvania German dude.

Edited by VKurtB

Just now, VKurtB said:

I saw my very first live tornado in the late summer of 2017 near the little town of Bowmansville, Pennsylvania. It crossed the Pennsylvania Turnpike at Mile Marker 289, and made a total mess of a neighbor's metal roofing materials that the had stacked there. I was about 200 yards away and it freaked me out. It was a little one, maybe an EF1.

They can get the old heart pumping. That one I saw in Nebraska had me tore all to pieces. When that hail started pounding on the truck it sounded like people beating it with baseball bats. The wind was shaking the truck. Here we sit right out in the wide open. I'm glad it didn't come any closer. It looked like a pretty good size one. 

4 minutes ago, VKurtB said:

The town I now live in got hammered pretty badly in the April 27, 2011 northern Alabama tornado mega-outbreak. But the house I live in has stood since 1890, so I'm guessing it missed here.

That's when my mom's house was built. In the 1890s. They sure built it right too. BIG oak 2x12 floor joist. Them old carpenters sure built stuff strong. 

Edited by Hoghead515

3 minutes ago, Hoghead515 said:

That's when my mom's house was built. In the 1890s. They sure built it right too. BIG oak 2x6 floor joist. Them old carpenters sure built stuff strong. 

My living room is not QUITE level and not quite square, but the original 1890 floor joists have now been "married" to some nice new 2019 vintage ones to minimize the "out of level" situation. The timbers holding up the roof are unique and custom, several bent like those at the Cathedral of Notre Dame in Paris.

Edited by VKurtB

One day I'll hunt for 1880's coins in the building joints in the attic. It's mostly a Pennsylvania thing, I believe, but I'll check this Alabama home for them too.

1 minute ago, VKurtB said:

My living room is not QUITE level and not quite square, but the original 1890 floor joists have now been "married" to some nice new 2019 vintage ones to minimize the "out of level" situation. 

That house of mom's is only about a 1/4 inch off. Towards the middle of the room. It's a 3 story. I'd say the weight of it over the years done that. It's got a half basement. They used a massive beam in the middle. Got those support poles under it to. The ones that's threaded you can raise up and down. It was out a little more when we first moved there. Dad and I raised them a little and helped it some. To where it is now. Couldn't do much more with it. 

2 minutes ago, VKurtB said:

One day I'll hunt for 1880's coins in the building joints in the attic. It's mostly a Pennsylvania thing, I believe, but I'll check this Alabama home for them too.

People has been known to do that here too. I been aiming to search behind the upstairs walls. Never have yet.