• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Big Coin Questions
2 2

70 posts in this topic

I got the new 2022 Red Book today and there is no listing for the new 2021 Silver eagle that has no mint mark. ???

I just got one. I am guessing it is minted in Philadelphia but there is no listing in the book only 2021W and 2021S. Would anyone here know the reason why? Here is a shot of the coin and page for it.

New Book.jpg

2021 Eagle.jpg

2021 Eagle back.jpg

14 minutes ago, EdG_Ohio said:

Could it be that the data wasn't available in time for publication ? No baseline value yet due to "newness" other than U.S. Mint cost ?

Yes perhaps it not being a rarity just a normal coin for 2021 it merits no listing yet 

40 minutes ago, Mr.Bill347 said:

This should give you some idea

C2BEADDC-64B0-4EA7-A3B5-6AA43E4CA53B.jpeg

Yes thanks Bill. I thought it was a Philly but it is always good to ask. What a markup just to put it in a PCGS slab. Mine looks just as good if not better for $35 and $3 for the case 

I think on the regular strikes without a mint mark they were struck at Philly, Denver, and San Francisco. I think the only way to tell is by the label on the monster box they come in. I think alot of the dealers who get the monster boxes and send in the whole box to the TPG they will put the mint mark on it. If not it won't get a mint mark.  I'm pretty sure that's how it is on the ASE's. If I'm wrong someone who knows will correct me. 

[Extraneous comment: if those sound signal representations indicated on the reverse to the right of the PCGS logo are any indication, they must be the innovative Near Field Communication [NFC] security chip embedded encapsulation they've been touting recently as the latest development in anticounterfeiting technology and probably cost more than three dollars.]

3 minutes ago, Quintus Arrius said:

[Extraneous comment: if those sound signal representations indicated on the reverse to the right of the PCGS logo are any indication, they must be the innovative Near Field Communication [NFC] security chip embedded encapsulation they've been touting recently as the latest development in anticounterfeiting technology and probably cost more than three dollars.]

LoL yes Quintus it is a far better case for sure no disrespect to PCGS it was kind of a joke.

When I was at the coin dealer I actually bought 2 in those round cases the first year 1986 and the last year 2021of that series of Eagles. I am amazed to see the quality in the cut of the die and strike from old to new.

1st and last years.jpg

19 minutes ago, J P Mashoke said:

LoL yes Quintus it is a far better case for sure no disrespect to PCGS it was kind of a joke.

When I was at the coin dealer I actually bought 2 in those round cases the first year 1986 and the last year 2021of that series of Eagles. I am amazed to see the quality in the cut of the die and strike from old to new.

1st and last years.jpg

They definitely keep improving as the technology improves. 

So my next big coin question is ? I think we have a lot of expert coin graders in the forum and this Morgan I got is very nice so I took some shots with my handy microscope and wanted to know if you all think the dealer of 30 years in business  grade of MS63 is a close match. I have looked at it closely and find it in really good shape with minor bag marks. Has it been cleaned ? I don't think so but who's to say. I opened the folder to get the weight of the coin and get better shots for you all to look at and share your thoughts.

S20210417_0005.jpg

S20210417_0006.jpg

S20210417_0010.jpg

S20210417_0011.jpg

S20210417_0003.jpg

24 minutes ago, Mr.Bill347 said:

It looks pretty good to me. Probably worth grading if you got a deal on it.

I did get a good deal on this 1901-0 it is already up 16% from the asking price for it a week ago. There are 3 types of grade for Morgan's listed... MS, PL and ( not sure what DMPL is ) I think it would not be worth the cost of grading unless it is PL 63 or better.

2 hours ago, Hoghead515 said:

egular strikes without a mint mark they were struck at Philly, Denver, and San Francisco.

San Francisco and Philadelphia Mints are producing American Eagle silver bullion coins to augment the primary output from the West Point Mint.  I think the San Fran made a million and Philly made 500Kx.  these were to suplemtn the West Point mints production.  there isnt any difference in any of them except where the moster box says they come from.

1 hour ago, J P Mashoke said:

I did get a good deal on this 1901-0 it is already up 16% from the asking price for it a week ago. There are 3 types of grade for Morgan's listed... MS, PL and ( not sure what DMPL is ) I think it would not be worth the cost of grading unless it is PL 63 or better.

DMPL means deep mirror proof like.  MS is the only one it would qualify as. It's a beautiful coin. Very nice looking. 

1 hour ago, Hoghead515 said:

DMPL means deep mirror proof like.  MS is the only one it would qualify as. It's a beautiful coin. Very nice looking. 

Thanks Hoghead, Deep Mirror yes I have heard of that . It is shiny but I don't think it is that shiny

Shiny front.jpg

Shiny back.jpg

35 minutes ago, J P Mashoke said:

Thanks Hoghead, Deep Mirror yes I have heard of that . It is shiny but I don't think it is that shiny

Shiny front.jpg

Shiny back.jpg

She's a beautiful coin my friend. Nice find. 

@Mashoke. My feeling, backed by not a scintilla of scientific evidence is original brilliant luster is eroded, however, slightly, by cleaning which would occur with even minor buffing.  If there exists somewhere in the universe a brand-new coin with cleaning, it may qualify as "like new" but will no longer exhibit the cartwheel effect with sharp features.

(Carnivores with ravenous appetites are now free to tear me to pieces with experience and facts...)  😉

I think MS63 may be a wee bit tough. I like this one a tiny bit higher. But no PL or DMPL. I’d buy it as an MS64. Oh, wait, the marks west of the Schnozz make it a 63.

Edited by VKurtB

4 minutes ago, VKurtB said:

I think MS63 may be a wee bit tough. I like this one a tiny bit higher. But no PL or DMPL. I’d buy it as an MS64. Oh, wait, the marks west of the Schnozz make it a 63.

But would you insist on having the artifact dethroned and in your hand the better to examine her various assets with your trademark loupe?

Just now, Quintus Arrius said:

But would you insist on having the artifact dethroned and in your hand the better to examine her various assets with your trademark loupe?

In my hand, yes. Dethroned? Nah. Proper light? Absolutely. Proper glass, maybe a 7x, yes. 

2 minutes ago, VKurtB said:

In my hand, yes. Dethroned? Nah. Proper light? Absolutely. Proper glass, maybe a 7x, yes. 

[NGC's Forum was CoinTalk's immeasurable loss, my friend.]

I usually don't need a low powered loupe very much yet. These $6000 eyes work good. After I had that eye surgery I can see very good. Took me a while to pay them off. I'm glad they didn't come repo them. Ever since I had Lasik surgery I can see very good. Got eyes like a hawk. When I get a little older they may start to go down hill and I may need a low powered loupe. I got amazing eye sight for now though. 

7 minutes ago, VKurtB said:

Yes I also noticed those marks when I purchased the coin they are not deep just brushed the surface like bag marks from another coins edge or letters from the looks of the spacing  

S20210418_0003.jpg

39 minutes ago, VKurtB said:

I thank you for you honest opinion I have seen many of your posts and you always look to be a straight shooter. I am pleased to know the dealer has a good eye also saying it is a 63 that also makes me happy. 

14 minutes ago, VKurtB said:

My shooting starts to wander with too much wine. I seldom overimbibe due to neuro issues. Plus I’m now retired in a very small town in northern Alabama after living my entire life in south central Pennsylvania. Watching The Weather Channel way too much looking at tornado warnings.

Happy you got settled in good my friend. If you find and good catfish holes down in that country give me a holler. I've always wanted to go down south and hook into a big southern flathead @Sharann is supposed to show me a good spot down in Mississippi country if I ever make it down in that country one of these days.