• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Submission FAILURE. NGC is turning sour
1 1

130 posts in this topic

9 minutes ago, Revenant said:

This whole thing has me thinking of that time I looked on that WISH website and they were selling Morgan dollars for $1 and people were posting about how happy they were with their new "coin." O.o

When I was a less experienced collector, I bought a few fakes.

The first I bought was in 2000 shortly after I resumed collecting, from a street peddler in LaPaz, Bolivia.  It was a "1684 Bolivian royal 2R" for which I paid $40.  (Should of been a hint right there, right?)  A real one in this condition (which I don't believe even exists) would be worth thousands even then.  I was more focused on the consistency of the design elements, never paying attention that it was undersized (diameter of a 1R instead of a 2R) and underweight (tin or aluminum instead of silver).  In other words, it wasn't even a good fake. 

I still have it.

1 hour ago, Revenant said:

But... yeah. Props to NGC. They are the most tolerant host I think I've ever seen. If someone called me a thief in my own house they'd be getting hit with the door on the way out.

Actually, NGC comes out smelling like a rose.  Virtually everyone has praised them and said they did nothing wrong.  The probably realize they have a very disappointed client who really may have thought he had $200,000 in coins (I assume he inherited them) and now finds they are worth at most 1% of that value.

Yes, kudos to NGC for letting The Truth rule on these forums, unlike others, and I think they have come out a winner by letting everything flow here and let it enhance their integrity and reputation.

Edited by GoldFinger1969

12 hours ago, Woods020 said:

The only time a counterfeit would have any value is if it was made from a precious metal, and then only the metal content value. 

Not the only time, but it is unusual.  Contemporary counterfeit bust halves can bring some good money, the is a counterfeit Vermont copper Ryder 5 I think that brings a good price.  Then there is the counterfeit 1818 cent and the 1848 small date cent, they can bring thousands.etc.

8 minutes ago, GoldFinger1969 said:

Actually, NGC comes out smelling like a rose.  Virtually everyone has praised them and said they did nothing wrong.  The probably realize they have a very disappointed client who really may have thought he had $200,000 in coins (I assume he inherited them) and now finds they are worth at most 1% of that value.

Yes, kudos to NGC for letting The Truth rule on these forums, unlike others, and I think they have come out a winner by letting everything flow here and let it enhance their integrity and reputation.

I agree they come out good here. Just saying - it amazes me how often people come to these boards specifically to trash the company that pays to support these boards. I don't understand what they expect this to accomplish and why they feel the need to escalatea complaintso. Every time I have ever contacted NGC privately with a problem they have taken care of me without putting them on blast.

3 minutes ago, Conder101 said:

Not the only time, but it is unusual.  Contemporary counterfeit bust halves can bring some good money, the is a counterfeit Vermont copper Ryder 5 I think that brings a good price.  Then there is the counterfeit 1818 cent and the 1848 small date cent, they can bring thousands.etc.

There's a thread elsewhere where someone has an NGC graded ancient forgery. I think it's interesting the NGC encapsulated it as a "genuine counterfeit" essentially from Roman times and not a modern fake. 

2 hours ago, Revenant said:

:popcorn: Wow. I go away for a few days to do some house shopping and things get interesting.

I would feel for Joe and sympathize if he was a little more humble and less libelous in his statements. It's always amazing when people find or buy (at super low prices) these coins....

[Don't feel bad. Probably the most hilarious comment I've ever read was a question Goldfinger1969 posed, in substance, Whose NevadaS&G and what's he got to do with (some economic issue then being discussed?) He missed the whole week-long brouhaha...

The reason why I chose to treat this matter differently is because the member was newly-minted, was very upset, and was seeking validation. About the only thing he said that was out of the ordinary was making a cryptic reference to bitcoin.  Incidentally, before launching into my own tirade, I re-read the entire thread and noted a few discrepancies and mysteries that were never addressed.  The OP never claimed to be an expert. We do not know why he chose one of NGC's foreign offices to submit his coins. (His syntax and word constructions are clues.) It was never made clear whether the coins in question were ones he bought or inherited. The one thing we do know is only hours after becoming a member, he posted here, introduced himself properly but with every contrary response, began to disintegrate with unintelligible comments and an insistence the totality of the circumstances was conspiratorial and that TPGS' collective resources were arrayed against him despite the fact that he hadn't dealt with PCGS and it and NGS, here and abroad, are two separate and distinct entities.

More alarming to me are the comments which have since surfaced suggesting members with questionable motives are using TPGS to get one over on them and, if unsuccessful, shirking their responsibility to honor their debts.  There are enough safeguards in place to insure such irresponsible persons are black-balled industry-wide and pursued to the extent the law allows. The cold, hard truth is not everyone is cut out for this business. Judging by the trajectory of the Forum and the tolerance of its moderators, it won't be long before another asteroid comes streaking across the night skies.  As far as the OP is concerned, not one to revel in others' adversities, if we were to succeed in obtaining a little more pertinent information -- and even a stalwart member like VKurtB were inclined to be more sympathetic, I would not hesitate to set up a GoFundMe initiative to compensate those who feel they have been grievously wronged -- provided they are capable of producing substantive evidence of their claims.

Edited by Quintus Arrius
Shifting temperament.

On 4/22/2021 at 7:28 PM, Revenant said:

There's a thread elsewhere where someone has an NGC graded ancient forgery. I think it's interesting the NGC encapsulated it as a "genuine counterfeit" essentially from Roman times and not a modern fake. 

So all a counterfeiter has to do to get a fake coin encapsulated is wait 2000 years lol

I just got my 3 ancients graded and they've shipped back in transit but out of the 3 grades (one Ch XF BRUSHED Tiberius "Tribute Penny" and one AU Nicely Toned Caracala Denarius) one of them which is a Julius Caesar Imperator Bc has no images like the others or a grade listed. Possible fake im thinking? But honestly that's the reason I sent it in. To find out if its genuine so im ok with not having it graded if that's the case. 

Edited by blazeaglory