• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Submission FAILURE. NGC is turning sour
1 1

130 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Joejingojack said:

P.S: The merger between PCGS and NGC I was talking about should not necessarily be "in your face" people. I hope you get it now.

There is no merger between them, either corporate-wise or business practice-wise.  It's all in your mind, JJJ.

43 minutes ago, gmarguli said:

I compared all 4 coins to multiple known authentic examples of each type. None of them match. 

Given the value of these coins, I'm sure NGC took extreme care in examining them. 

Your coins are counterfeit. 

Good, careful research! Nice to see.  :)

1 hour ago, gmarguli said:

I compared all 4 coins to multiple known authentic examples of each type. None of them match. 

Given the value of these coins, I'm sure NGC took extreme care in examining them. 

Your coins are counterfeit. 

He's mad at the wrong ones. I guess he not the big experienced collector he thinks he is. Wants to be smarter than everyone. I'd be mad at the one who sold them to me. I don't like being wrong neither when I brag myself up to be something I'm not but I will agree with people who know what they are doing and swallow my pride. I don't  try to convince everyone there's some kind of conspiracy theory going on with the people who proved me wrong.  Especially if they are experts in the business and handle more coins in a week then I've ever seen in my life. I don't like to be around people like that. I'd rather have friends than act like that where no one wanted to be around me. People don't realize how acting like that actually makes them look to everyone else. My kids don't act that foolish.  

On 4/18/2021 at 3:29 AM, Joejingojack said:

I own a very rare Chinese coin collection.
My coin collection is 100% GENUINE....

Screenshot_20210418-014740.png

Two pieces of advice for the OP, Jjj... (repeated, in part, above)  Firstly, in light of your extensive experience and knowledge of the coin business, take your collection to a dealer or  professional numismatist you trust and have them review them and advise you accordingly.

Secondly, if the advice is contrary to what you expected, please do not foist the coins onto an unsuspecting public thereby making your problem theirs.

There isn't a coin collector anywhere who hasn't suffered a loss at one time or another. The smart collector learns as much as he can about the coins he has, asks questions, heeds advice, gets up, brushes the dust off, chalks it all up to bad experience -- and moves on.  In closing, I wish you all the best!

1 hour ago, gmarguli said:

Gmarg, how much would the coins be worth if legitimate ?  What range are we talking about ?

So now they want to charge me over £900.00 for their money-laundering scheme of my authentic coins instead of just returning it to me, e.g. for a minimum fee. This is an absolute robbery imho.

Absolutely disgraceful, people.

These guys will pay it off big time..

Utter fraudsters!

Screenshot_20210420-181348.png

A review of your Invoice has left me utterly speechless.  If it is not a violation of NGC Guidelines or.U.S. national security interests, or plain common courtesy, may I inquire as to whether these coins were bought from a reputable dealer or an individual, and, if so, when?  (Naturally, if someone such as The Great Zadok politely points out these were in the family for years, I will readily concede this entire matter was long ago a moot point).

The fees were based on your BELIEVED value of $190,500.  BTW, I don't know why you sent them to NGC International in the UK instead of NGC in the States.

Regardless....I do agree that if you were wrong on the value of the coins, the cost for grading them should be lower.  If I sent in a Saint-Gaudens coin that I believed was MS66 and worth $10,000 and it turns out to be AU-55 and worth $2,000.....I would expect grading fees to be based on the lower value.

But never having submitted, I'll leave it to the veterans here to chime in. (thumbsu

Edited by GoldFinger1969

Joe,

I’m sure you don’t want to hear this, but if you take a deep breath and consider the 900 pounds as the price of a lesson learned you will take something away. Numismatic education can be expensive at times, but it may just be worth the cost of tuition if you actually learn from it. As it stands it’s money wasted. 

My sentiments do not coincide with 99.44% of the comments posted on this thread.  I do not care if the submitter is a nincompoop or a rocket scientist.  The TPGS in England pursued an ill-advised course of action, period.

There are viewers here who appear to have detected glaring and subtle anomalies in the posted photos almost instantly.  It stands to reason then that professional graders who do these detailed examinations for a living must have come to the quick realization that a grievous mistake had been made.

[When the $1,200. coin (exclusive of tax) I had purchased but chose not to take immediate delivery of, preferring instead to have the seller send it directly to PCGS for evaluation declined to cross-grade it, I received two phone calls: one confirming payment was received and my coin was being forwarded; the other stating it was rejected and that my money had been refunded in full.  To my knowledge, I was not charged a cent for the courtesies extended me.]

A great many questions remain unanswered in the OP's account.  Be that as it may, the flurry of gratuitous attacks, some notably cruel and insensitive, were uncalled for. If a great deal of money is involved, the TPGS should have placed a call to the submitter, explain the matter to his satisfaction, and, minus necessary return-shipping expenses, forward the questionable coins back to him expeditiously.

This is elementary customer service. I could not charge a member for something I was unable to do -- accept payment genuine or counterfeit -- in good conscience.  The OP acted in good faith.  Little point is served in victimizing him twice. And the reception he received here, from fellow collectors and members, was unhelpful and nothing less than disgraceful.

Also under terms and conditions I'm pretty sure it says that you will be charged whether it gets encapsulated or not. They tell you ahead of time. So it should be up to you to make sure of what you got before you take the risk of sending it in. It's not like they surprise you with it. They warn you ahead of time if you read everything. 

Edited by Hoghead515

The thing is....by declaring the coins to be worth $200,000 he was setting himself up for a big bill.

If you have raw coins and this is how the TPGs operate, then you better be right on the value or close to it.....OR.....have them screened beforehand to make sure you don't pay a fee based on $200,000 in assessed value for coins that are worth less than $1,000.

11 minutes ago, coinsandmedals said:

Arguing that paying a fee based on estimated value is unfair when the coin's value is reduced by 90-99% is complete hogwash. Although I am not sure about PCGS, NGC has consistently urged collectors to submit their coins through an authorized dealer. Doing so affords the submitter a professional opinion before NGC collects any associated fees. It is the submitter's responsibility to determine the declared value, and if they are unsure how to do so, they are advised to seek a professional who can. In this case, the submitter claims to be an expert, so in reality, they only have themselves to blame for the outcome.

I agree with you.  Having never submitted any coins, I just know if my fees were tied to the value of the coins and they were raw to begin with, I'd certainly make sure they were legit and close to my market value in the first place.

11 minutes ago, coinsandmedals said:

In my opinion, the original post is an ill-informed and unwarranted hit piece on NGC. I see no harm in calling it for what it is.

No argument whatsoever.  I understand the submitters anger and maybe embarassment at getting a $1,000 bill to have his coins declared counterfeit.  He also may be upset because he is suddenly "out" $200,000.

But the whole thing is cloudy because he INSISTS he is an expert in the field and that he knows the coins are legit and any opinion to the contrary is false.  This makes his appeal less symptathetic, IMO.

We still don't know WHEN and HOW he came into the coins -- and at what cost. ???

Edited by GoldFinger1969