• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

guess the grades, CC morgans

17 posts in this topic

i truly enjoy testing my grading skills and sometimes what i think isnt quite what the label says.  please take a look at these two coins and take a guess.

image.png.6c1c3544d9b7c653d26db3dc93457a54.pngimage.png.89fc77e7c2a58e374c4d9956df4df572.png

and the next one

image.png.4dd560a9ce755db1574b11e5b6b7f06b.pngimage.png.0bcb79000b5cc8e33c571df52f8680e6.png

63 if it straight graded as there is some rim damage (perhaps ex jewelry piece), 64 maybe PL, 63.

Edited by Coinbuf

8 minutes ago, Coinbuf said:

63 if it straight graded as there is some rim damage (perhaps ex jewelry piece), 64 maybe PL, 63.

hello coinbuf  is there a coin in your eyes that is clearly better than the other two.  there is to me and im curious what others think without saying.  thanks

2 minutes ago, dollarfan said:

hello coinbuf  is there a coin in your eyes that is clearly better than the other two.  there is to me and im curious what others think without saying.  thanks

In my opinion the 83 stands out as the best, the cheek is full so we know the strike is full and the surfaces are mostly clear of the usual "CC" chatter.   The fields are nice and have a nice PL look in the photo, only the heavy dig on the lower cheek of the obv and the light scratch on the rev keeps it out of MS65 to my eyes.   Looks to be an OGH holder, gen 3 maybe.

6 minutes ago, Coinbuf said:

In my opinion the 83 stands out as the best, the cheek is full so we know the strike is full and the surfaces are mostly clear of the usual "CC" chatter.   The fields are nice and have a nice PL look in the photo, only the heavy dig on the lower cheek of the obv and the light scratch on the rev keeps it out of MS65 to my eyes.   Looks to be an OGH holder, gen 3 maybe.

that is exactly where my thoughts are also.  so far only one person has guessed (1) coin the correct grade.  grading by pcgs newer slab on first,  pcgs older green holder 2nd  and NGC older on the third.

3 hours ago, dollarfan said:

I think the 83 does. 

63+, 64, 63 - in that order.

Those obviously are not the grades that are on the coins, judging by the OP's statements, but that is what I see in the pictures. In hand might be different, of course.

to say this is not how i would have graded these 3 coins is an understatement  64+ would be 64,   63 dmpl would be 64 or better dmpl,  and 65 would be 64  just goes to show i cant grade to save my .  i hope the 63 is a gold bean candidateimage.png.38ea4ece11ba4068066082697e14d4a2.png