• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Peace Dollar VAM ?
1 1

10 posts in this topic

I don’t believe that is a die crack. Thiss lines are caused by mechanical coin rollers when they crimp the end of the roll. Likely not Mint damage but PmD.

on the other hand the irregularity of the line and the raised nature of it does seem to be a crack fill. I would have looked at closely by a numismatist.

Die cracks are not normally used to distinguish Peace dollar varieties. If a crack becomes enlarged into a break (missing a little piece of the die face) then it would be listed among the thousands of "VAM" [Van Allen-Mallis] Morgan and Peace varieties.

It looks like some could be die cracks but it is a slabbed coin which will make it hard for you to look at a good angle or feel the raised crack ?  

Looks like a die crack to me, but then again I don’t care about die cracks, so there you have it. The location is about where I’d expect a die crack to be.

Edited by VKurtB

Agree on die crack. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a peace/Morgan dollar or any of others from this time and earlier with rolling machine marks.  Out of curiosity and learning does anyone know when mechanical rolling machines came into use? Has anyone seen a rolling machine mark on something earlier than say 1950 that was uncirculated?

56 minutes ago, VKurtB said:

Looks like a die crack to me, but then again I don’t care about die cracks, so there you have it. The location is about where I’d expect a die crack to be.

Briefly, VAM?... BAM... DAMN!

6 hours ago, Coinbuf said:

There are way too many for this date for me to want to figure it out, here is a link to the VAMWorld page for the 1923-S so you can figure it out. Link

Wow.......your not kidding thanks for the link it should only take maybe a month to go through all of them.