• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sell on eBay or send to grading
1 1

49 posts in this topic

Hi, new here. But I joined in order to have some coins graded and was happy to notice this forum. Everyday I go through my coins and find I am just humming and hawing over what I should do with the real dope ones. If anyone would like to help me decide if I should grade or sell on eBay that would be great. I will mention what I was thinking of doing with them so that if I am missing info about a coin, maybe one of you would be willing to help me learn more about it. I’ve really hit a wall so any help would be great. 

I was considering having this 1970 s, floating roof no FG graded then sent to auction.

And this 1972 D washington quarter I was thinking of selling on eBay, but for 1000$? Crazy or no...

lemme know if u have any thoughts, thanks

m

9F7F197E-6A98-43A3-A7D6-DC2E6C9A287C.jpeg

CE717A42-4D5F-44FC-976F-D04F6F7BD8B9.jpeg

EAC335D1-655C-4401-81B4-E5A139FA0794.jpeg

2AE76002-6078-425A-B92C-1E2C4742841B.jpeg

Edited by Nyami
Spelling

The reverse of the 1961 looks really good. The obverse I can't tell because the pic focus is too blurry. It almost looks coated. The inside of the ear and beard are missing, and more. Just my immediate observation. Others will soon chime in that know a LOT more than I. Good luck, I wish you well.

10 minutes ago, ronnie stein said:

The reverse of the 1961 looks really good. The obverse I can't tell because the pic focus is too blurry. It almost looks coated. The inside of the ear and beard are missing, and more. Just my immediate observation. Others will soon chime in that know a LOT more than I. Good luck, I wish you well.

E253D50C-91CC-4636-B4C4-C01FE727FC92.jpeg

EBF6FE3A-3D4D-4B76-8AE3-FD75AD78C3BE.jpeg

These are very nice coins, but to set your expectations correctly you mention selling the quarter for $1k. That is very unrealistic unless I am missing something very special about it. 

Generally the guidance is that if a coin won’t have a fair market value of $150 or more it isn’t sensible to spend the money grade it. I don’t think that what you have posted would make the mark, but possible. They would either have to grade extremely high or have a desirable error/variety. 

out of curiosity the 61 proof cent looks like it’s in some kind of slab with a label. What does it say?

None of the pictured coins are worth more than face value. Where the fantasy of selling one of them for $1,000 came from is beyond my limited mental capacity.... ;)

Edited by RWB

The only coin you have posted that is remotely worth doing anything with is the 1961 PF Lincoln.  I am not aware of; nor could I find; any listings of any varieties for that date, however as Conder mentioned it does look like a possible double die coin.   I would suggest that you post it on the CONECA forum Link and get more feedback on that possibility.

I have no idea why you think that your 1972-D quarter is worth 1K, the price guide for an MS68 is $650, and from your photos I do not see your coin grading that high.   The 1970-S Lincoln is the more common large date and is not a full floating roof, and while I don't follow that minor of a thing I do not recall seeing the floating roof on the NGC approved list of varieties that they attribute.  Also from your photos I would not see that as grading high enough to be worth grading or one of the two varieties that NGC does attribute, maybe in hand or with better photos my opinion would be different.

5 hours ago, Just Bob said:

The '61 looks like a proof. Did you find it in circulation?

Interested to know where the OP found these coins also. They would grade MS67 at the highest in my opinion.

22 minutes ago, Quintus Arrius said:

@NyamiBefore you hit us with full disclosure of the facts as you know them to be regarding plating, missing appendages, actual finish and whether the '22 is an example of one of finest counterfeits extant that is legal to own, please enlighten us as to whether the initials of the designer, Victor David Brenner, appears where it's supposed to on either coin.  Thanks much!

Good catch. The 1970-S I have, the VDB has some wear,  but it is there.

7 hours ago, Just Bob said:

The '61 looks like a proof. Did you find it in circulation?

No, I bought it from a friend. Uncirculated.

8 hours ago, Woods020 said:

These are very nice coins, but to set your expectations correctly you mention selling the quarter for $1k. That is very unrealistic unless I am missing something very special about it. 

Generally the guidance is that if a coin won’t have a fair market value of $150 or more it isn’t sensible to spend the money grade it. I don’t think that what you have posted would make the mark, but possible. They would either have to grade extremely high or have a desirable error/variety. 

out of curiosity the 61 proof cent looks like it’s in some kind of slab with a label. What does it say?

7 hours ago, RWB said:

None of the pictured coins are worth more than face value. Where the fantasy of selling one of them for $1,000 came from is beyond my limited mental capacity.... ;)

I thought it may be this coin. My bad

0A7C5136-95C6-41CF-9079-0D070CC5D5BC.png

2 hours ago, Quintus Arrius said:

@NyamiBefore you hit us with full disclosure of the facts as you know them to be regarding plating, missing appendages, actual finish and whether the '22 is an example of one of finest counterfeits extant that is legal to own, please enlighten us as to whether the initials of the designer, Victor David Brenner, appears where it's supposed to on either coin.  Thanks much!

My bad. But I am hear to learn. I truly do thank you all for your time. 

8 hours ago, Woods020 said:

It is a international numismatic bureau 

On the 1961 Does the INB slab call it a proof or uncirculated?

And you were looking for values under the proof DCAM column.  That coins is not a DCAM, it isn't even a CAM.  Try looking under the RD catagory, and it WON'T make a 69.

Edited by Conder101

7 hours ago, RWB said:

None of the pictured coins are worth more than face value.

In view of the OP's written confession as to the grade assigned the coin by the international numismatic bureau (presumably an arm of INTERPOL or NCIC) i.e., Uncirculated, what facts did you rely on to support your conclusion that neither coin was worth more than face value?  The copper content of the Wheatie alone is worth several times face.  And any suggestion this coin lies directly next to an Extremely Fine specimen on the non-Sheldon continuum, is pushing things a bit.  Even in degraded condition, the '22 no "D" commands a price ten thousand times over face, $100.00 = 10,000 cents. 

Where does D.W. stand on this?

23 minutes ago, Conder101 said:

On the 1961 Does the INB slab call it a proof or uncirculated?

And you were looking for values under the proof DCAM column.  That coins is not a DCAM, it isn't even a CAM.  Try looking under the RD catagory, and it WON'T make a 69.

It called it a proof. I think it came from a set. 

International numismatic bureau does not have a good reputation in the coin industry, if you do some searching you can see complaints about this firm over grading coins.   That is not to say that you cannot find nice coins in this holder but its more akin to finding a needle in a haystack.   If you have bought a significant number of coins in these holders and attempt to cross them to more reputable TPG's like NGC or PCGS my guess is that you will be very disappointed with the results.

Edited to add: I also do not think that 1973-D Rosie has much of any chance of being graded as a FB by NGC.

Edited by Coinbuf

The name at top left is sufficient identification of the source of this silliness: "Fido."

None of the coins the OP has shown are worth more than face value. Encouraging this kind of fantasy is cruel and discourages acquisition of realistic knowledge about grading US coins.

Edited by RWB

[I guess I just don't get it.  We disemboweled a collector for having the unmitigated gall for presenting a '22 no "D" for review rejecting it as inauthentic (all because the services of an inexperienced cointerfeiter without references was employed)  and here we roll out the red carpet and accept a '22 no "D" with no comment as to its authenticity or grade with a FINAL WORD on the subject rendered by a source we are forbidden to question, or contradict by law.  Looks like my only consolation is eliciting a good laugh from Modwriter who appreciated the joke.]

36 minutes ago, Quintus Arrius said:

[I guess I just don't get it.  We disemboweled a collector for having the unmitigated gall for presenting a '22 no "D" for review rejecting it as inauthentic (all because the services of an inexperienced cointerfeiter without references was employed)  and here we roll out the red carpet and accept a '22 no "D" with no comment as to its authenticity or grade with a FINAL WORD on the subject rendered by a source we are forbidden to question, or contradict by law.  Looks like my only consolation is eliciting a good laugh from Modwriter who appreciated the joke.]

Am I missing something? Where has this post contained a 22 no D cent? And I’m really asking. I probably did miss it but have no idea what you are referencing.