• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sell on eBay or send to grading
1 1

49 posts in this topic

13 hours ago, Quintus Arrius said:

[I guess I just don't get it.  We disemboweled a collector for having the unmitigated gall for presenting a '22 no "D" for review rejecting it as inauthentic (all because the services of an inexperienced cointerfeiter without references was employed)  and here we roll out the red carpet and accept a '22 no "D" with no comment as to its authenticity or grade with a FINAL WORD on the subject rendered by a source we are forbidden to question, or contradict by law.  Looks like my only consolation is eliciting a good laugh from Modwriter who appreciated the joke.]

There is no such thing a a 22 no d. But there is such a thing and being over whelmed and overloaded with coin info. What I’ve learnt here is that I will do better at getting coin information before I ask questions. I didn’t know about the other mark.... smh, my bad. 

3 minutes ago, Coinbuf said:

Stick around there is lots of good information and people here, and a few are best ignored due to their nonsensical rambling. 

Ok, thanks I will. I just have so many coins and I can’t afford to have them graded yet. I want to just post them to eBay but sometimes the coin Is worth sending in. I’ve only been at this eight months.... but I love it and want it to work for me. (That’s a mild ramble, I’m sure to get worse lol)

2 hours ago, JKK said:

Getting coins TPG graded is overrated, in my view. I understand the starting mentality of the new collector about it, though, and I can respect it. People want to take good care of their coins. They aren't sure of their own grading (and they get less sure when they see the varying opinions on here). They look at slabbing as The Right Way To Go. All of that is fantastic to consider. Problem is that most of what most new collectors find is not at all worth the expense or effort to get slabbed, making the question: what would you rather spend the money on? Actual coins or a slab for a common circa 1970s penny (for example)?

Typical cost of a slab is about $60. How much really cool coin could that buy you? I'm just going to somewhat randomly look at my most recent Coin Values, knowing that actual market values tend to run about 70% of those numbers. Let's assume they don't and thus that the truth is actually even more favorable to you than what I'm presenting. I see a value of $60 for:

• G-4 1825 half cent
  • AG-3 1801 large cent
  • VF-20 1861 Indian cent
  • MS-63RB 1912 Lincoln cent
  • F-12 1849/8 half dime
  • AU-50 1902 Liberty nickel
  • EF-40 1856 SD seated dime
  • MS-65B 1943-S Mercury dime
  • F-12 1862 seated quarter
  • F-12 1917 T1 standing quarter
  • MS-65 1941-D Washington quarter
  • G-4 1835 bust half
  • F-12 1903 Barber half
  • MS-65 1954-D Franklin half
  • MS-62 1882-O Morgan dollar
  • AU-58 1926-D Peace dollar
  • AU-58 1925 Stone Mountain memorial commem half
  • Higher quality 1957 US proof set (actually for this money you can have two of these items with $4 back in change, go you)

I don't really need to go on, do I? What would you rather have? The slabbed modern piece or one of the above? I don't even like commemoratives and I would 105% take ANY of those coins over a slabbed modern penny (again, for example).

Oh, and it gets even better when it comes to world and ancient coins. Lower demand. I got an Elagabulus antoninianus (c.220 CE) in fairly nice shape for about $60 at the Salem show last summer. It is eighteen centuries old. I've bought appealing Byzantine bronzes for much less. Relatively uncommon colonial issues? $60 is well within range for most 1900s and later half 1800s pieces. I bought my first piece of eight (Spanish 8 reales coin, slightly bigger than our silver dollars) for $50 some years back. I'd gladly have forked out another $10 for one that wasn't cleaned.

Everyone does as they choose with their money, but I know I personally prefer coins over plastic holders and professional opinions, at least for collecting purposes. In the case of high value pieces, of course, that's different; you don't want to fork out a few grand for that 1847-C $5 gold piece without knowing it to be authentic and with an attested condition from someone educated. And if you start to deal in high three-figure coins or greater, yeah, that's slab city. Until you do, mostly, I ask again: would you rather have the slabbed modern piece, or something from my list? Your call, of course.

Thank you for your feedback and query. Honestly, since I started searching through coins I have held out for that perfect ms70 or 69+ 1943 steel wheat. Or one of the many errors. So I personally would hold out for a slabbed ms70 than get already lower graded coins. I have approximately 2000 Canadian pennies, 1000 us pennies and about 250 Canadian quarters, us nickels and dimes. This is what I live off of on eBay. I sent out some 1972 p and d Kennedy’s to PCGS and I swear that I did not get back the same coins. So this business is shady,.... but it is worth my time and effort to find the life changing coins. I won’t stop till I do. I do not collect coins... I sell money that is worth money. I love my job!! Thanks again, stay safe out there! M

2 hours ago, Nyami said:

Thank you for your feedback and query. Honestly, since I started searching through coins I have held out for that perfect ms70 or 69+ 1943 steel wheat. Or one of the many errors. So I personally would hold out for a slabbed ms70 than get already lower graded coins. I have approximately 2000 Canadian pennies, 1000 us pennies and about 250 Canadian quarters, us nickels and dimes. This is what I live off of on eBay. I sent out some 1972 p and d Kennedy’s to PCGS and I swear that I did not get back the same coins. So this business is shady,.... but it is worth my time and effort to find the life changing coins. I won’t stop till I do. I do not collect coins... I sell money that is worth money. I love my job!! Thanks again, stay safe out there! M

I have some questions. Do you have an eBay store? I'd like to check it out. How is the Canadian coin market doing? How are your sales to the U.S.? I do not like to ship outside of the U.S. because of cost and required paperwork. I have found Canadian coins in coinstar and coin rolls. I hope to be a Canadian thousandaire some day.

2 hours ago, Nyami said:

I sent out some 1972 p and d Kennedy’s to PCGS and I swear that I did not get back the same coins. So this business is shady,.... 

This is the same complaint made by NevadaS&G a member whose tenure lasted approximately one week just a few months ago. Feelings ran so high against him due to his erraticism that one member condemned me and another figuratively sicced his growling dog on me.

The unvarnished truth is an unthordox approach, creativity -- members simply blowing off steam -- are little tolerated by those seeking constant consistency.  The membership skewered him for suggesting, like you, that his coins were switched.  They demanded proof. And he lacked the evidence to provide it.  When I expressed a fondness for his unique, devil-may-care attitude, I was bum-rushed by those I admired, and still do. What A Mess!

23 minutes ago, Quintus Arrius said:

The membership skewered him for suggesting, like you, that his coins were switched.  They demanded proof. And he lacked the evidence to provide it.  When I expressed a fondness for his unique, devil-may-care attitude, I was bum-rushed by those I admired, and still do. What A Mess!

Let's hope that the OP was venting over getting lower than expected grades and that this subject does not get mentioned again.

On 4/16/2021 at 11:24 PM, Woods020 said:

Am I missing something? Where has this post contained a 22 no D cent? And I’m really asking. I probably did miss it but have no idea what you are referencing. 

Modwriter got it right.  I was so.immersed in thinking about the '22, apparently posted elsewhere, that I misspoke.  My apologies to the OP and Modwriter for bringing this to my attention.  

On 4/16/2021 at 7:15 PM, RWB said:

The name at top left is sufficient identification of the source of this silliness: "Fido."

Woof!

On 4/17/2021 at 5:47 PM, Modwriter said:

I have some questions. Do you have an eBay store? I'd like to check it out. How is the Canadian coin market doing? How are your sales to the U.S.? I do not like to ship outside of the U.S. because of cost and required paperwork. I have found Canadian coins in coinstar and coin rolls. I hope to be a Canadian thousandaire some day.

I do have an eBay store. Its  coin-9370, I only have a few coins on there now, but am working on adding more. 

50 minutes ago, Nyami said:

I do have an eBay store. Its  coin-9370, I only have a few coins on there now, but am working on adding more. 

Could not find your ebay store. Add a link to it here if you can. Are you selling both Canadian and U.S. coins?.

I can say I had thoughts of using EBay for purchases and sales but after seeing the stuff people were try to sell like what happen to Hoghead .I refuse to be a part of it. It's just bad business for people who work hard at collecting.