• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hi everyone I think I found a goodie to day.
1 1

29 posts in this topic

From what I read there's no error to be found on this coin I happen to get in some pocket change I looked at it I thought okay some simple scratches but they didn't go all the way across and see any damage but the high tops so I blew it up and I cannot figure out what it was with the same hit by have fun

20214415124456~5.jpg

20214415124456~2.jpg

20214415124456~3.jpg

20214415124456~5.jpg

[In all fairness to the OP, I really would like to know what this coin is supposed to look like and since this is the first one I've seen, I am at a disadvantage.  Guess we'll all have to wait for someone who is familiar with this issue and has the time and inclination to offer an opinion.]

Edited by Quintus Arrius
Glaring typo

I can’t tell a ton by the pictures, but some of them are bag marks. I’ve been searching a lot of quarter rolls lately and the new issues are consistently beat up. Bag marked, rolling machine marked, etc.... Just because the lines don’t go all the way across doesn’t mean anything. Think about how other quarters could hit it in the huge bags they store and weigh them in. 

37 minutes ago, Woods020 said:

I can’t tell a ton by the pictures, but some of them are bag marks. I’ve been searching a lot of quarter rolls lately and the new issues are consistently beat up. Bag marked, rolling machine marked, etc.... Just because the lines don’t go all the way across doesn’t mean anything. Think about how other quarters could hit it in the huge bags they store and weigh them in. 

I would agree with you but wouldn't explain the letter stamped right above the fingernail

49 minutes ago, Woods020 said:

Also have been searching quarter rolls and finding beat up newer issues too. Only one 2021-D Tuskegee quarter so far that would grade MS65-66 so far. So many have the eye appeal, strike and mint luster, but once under magnification, they wouldn't grade high enough for me to keep. I did score a couple of nice state quarters in a roll the other day.

I see what he is pointing to and at first glance it does look like initials or letters atleast. Logically it’s highly unlikely that is the case. If there were well zoomed pictures of that it would help. Someone will know what is going on. I’m convinced someone here will always have the answer. 

Edited by Woods020

13 minutes ago, Sharann said:

Is he referring to the wing as the fingernail?Are those initials? 

There are 2 sets of intitials on the reverse of the 2020 American Samoa quarter. Never noticed before.

56 minutes ago, Modwriter said:

There are 2 sets of intitials on the reverse of the 2020 American Samoa quarter. Never noticed before.

The wing. If u look at it has one long looking finger between the nail and the knuckle. There's a g or some thing. Hang let me see if I can a better pic this phone is boo boo.

1 hour ago, 19tommy78 said:

The wing. If u look at it has one long looking finger between the nail and the knuckle. There's a g or some thing. Hang let me see if I can a better pic this phone is boo boo.

Tommy, it looks like PMD (Post Mint Damage) to me. Post pics of the obverse side (front or heads). Do not to use Etsy for coin collecting advice.

Edited by Modwriter
Typing correction

Looks like it's just took some hits. Some of them look like things that's not really there. Just like looking at the clouds.  What's the word I'm looking for? Starts with a p.  Sometimes coins can look like they got numbers and all kinds of stuff on them but it's really where they been hit. 

46 minutes ago, Hoghead515 said:

Looks like it's just took some hits. Some of them look like things that's not really there. Just like looking at the clouds.  What's the word I'm looking for? Starts with a p.  Sometimes coins can look like they got numbers and all kinds of stuff on them but it's really where they been hit. 

Pareidolia 

22 hours ago, Modwriter said:

Well took the quarter. And showed a jeweler friend of mine. He let me use his equipment. I looked at it for a good hour. So did he and his wife. We wrote down what we saw. Then we read them at the same time. We saw the same thing. There's 3 large triangles  where the tall pointed parts are pointing towards the middle. There is a large arrow on the left side of coin. 2 different heads. And what looks like a mail stamp. the lines turned out to be the outer edges of the triangles and the stamp . My friend and his wife showed me the difference in scapes and scratches compared to something be pressed.  All these things have been pressed. Do I sent the quarter off.HopefullyNGC will take care of my baby. Also thanks for the help from everyone.  And to acouple of haters . I am a collector. But I am more of a treasure hunter.  Not trying to sit in my house at 45 saying look at my shinny Penny's.. just saying.. but having what looks like the first error for particular coin . Yea I will settle for that.. goodnight

1 hour ago, 19tommy78 said:

Well took the quarter. And showed a jeweler friend of mine. He let me use his equipment. I looked at it for a good hour. So did he and his wife. We wrote down what we saw. Then we read them at the same time. We saw the same thing. There's 3 large triangles  where the tall pointed parts are pointing towards the middle. There is a large arrow on the left side of coin. 2 different heads. And what looks like a mail stamp. the lines turned out to be the outer edges of the triangles and the stamp . My friend and his wife showed me the difference in scapes and scratches compared to something be pressed.  All these things have been pressed. Do I sent the quarter off.HopefullyNGC will take care of my baby. Also thanks for the help from everyone.  And to acouple of haters . I am a collector. But I am more of a treasure hunter.  Not trying to sit in my house at 45 saying look at my shinny Penny's.. just saying.. but having what looks like the first error for particular coin . Yea I will settle for that.. goodnight

Tommy, sending your quarter in for grading is your decision to make. We all have differing numismatic collecting styles, experience and opinions here.

I agree with Just Bob.  If it was something put on there from somebody then it is damage. Any coin that has been stamped or anything like that is damaged and will get a details grade. If it's not pareidolia then it was put there by someone and could not have been done at the mint.  Not a hater neither. I'm a realist also. 

2 hours ago, 19tommy78 said:

So the mint didn't that 8 on his neck ? 

20215517115511.jpg

If it would make you feel better, you can always claim this was the graffiti artist Taki 183's earliest foray into public art, mischievousness or criminality, however you choose to look at it, and there is no one alive who can contest it.