• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My 1972 Lincoln Penny

7 posts in this topic

Hello I’m new to collecting but thus far has been good. I recently got this penny in pocket change an have not seen one close to it. I’ve looked and the best I could come up with is “Cud Error” gonna send it out for grading just to see what they Intel. Well any feed back is welcome. Thanks 

84D82630-FDF9-4520-9832-861B3109E3BE.jpeg

30A6E562-4431-4264-8D9F-50B69FD79106.jpeg

1BA900C3-F222-4298-9DDC-4BA519E30591.jpeg

Hello and welcome to the forum. This is not a cud. Cuds are on the rim of the coin. This looks like damage. I would not suggest having this graded.

Welcome to the forum and to the world of coin collecting.  While interesting as Lem noted this is not a cud, it appears to have been squeezed by something or placed in a vice with something to impress that half circle design into it.   This is known as post mint damage (PMD) and it is not worth the time or money to submit.

I found a 1970-S cent and a 1976-D cent in pocket change the other day. Both in really good condition which was surprising. Neither would grade MS. The 1970 was very BN and would grade at G 4-6 at the lowest. The 1976 still had a lot of mint luster and might grade at F 12-15. Holdered them both and added them to my cent collection.

PMD for sure. Maybe a lock washer or something that ended up breaking. Maybe a small piece of metal. We will never know buy it didn't leave the mint like that. 

Edited by Hoghead515