• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Another Guess the Grade
3 3

33 posts in this topic

I say ms 63; it's nice-looking, but not exactly the greatest strike I've ever seen (disclaimer; I am not an experienced grader, particularly not with buffalo nickels. The grade provided is a guesstimate based off a general idea of grading, not how to grade buffalo nickels specifically)

38-D's were one of the best made in the series, I'm guessing it is MS65.   Most of the minor marks look to be planchet marks that did not fully strike out when the coin was coined.

There was an expression a member once used, "the grades are all over the place," and that seems to be the case here. "Rocket Man" has an MS-66 I am familiar with and I can't see why this would not rate likewise, but one member evidently sees some wear. Yet another sees evidence suggesting use of an abraded die. (But I have seen a coin graded VF which earned a CAC). I am going to go with MS-65+. (unless the + may not be applied to the obverse and any such sign precludes CAC consideration). Regardless, Hoghead, you've done very well!

I am leaning towards 66 reason being the vien in the feather is clear and distiguished.  there is a part in the hair just above the braid that is fully visable.  the reverse has almost completely full fur coat on the back snd through the side. crisp clear eye and almost full bob on the tail. its visable but faint...........just my opinion I am not an expert just slept at a holiday inn expres..... of course if you MAC the out of it in may get that 20 - 25 K your looking for............hehehhe

Edited by JT2

I'll give it till about 5 or 6 o'clock this evening and post the answer. Just incase there is a couple more that wanna take a guess. 

1 minute ago, Alex in PA. said:

I have no grading skills.  :preach:

Yes, you do.  I will prove it to you:

Is this, or is this not an Uncirculated coin?  Yes or No?

3 hours ago, ronnie stein said:

Looked like a parking lot nickel to me. Guess my grading skills are lacking as well. I got one part right, it's a bull.

Nope, you got that part wrong. It is a bison!  I thought everyone knew that.

On 4/14/2021 at 11:09 AM, Quintus Arrius said:

There was an expression a member once used, "the grades are all over the place," and that seems to be the case here. "Rocket Man" has an MS-66 I am familiar with and I can't see why this would not rate likewise, but one member evidently sees some wear. Yet another sees evidence suggesting use of an abraded die. (But I have seen a coin graded VF which earned a CAC). I am going to go with MS-65+. (unless the + may not be applied to the obverse and any such sign precludes CAC consideration). Regardless, Hoghead, you've done very well!

fyi.....even though bit off thread...cac stickers coins in all grades, from po-01 to pf-70 not just mint state.....

4 hours ago, zadok said:

fyi.....even though bit off thread...cac stickers coins in all grades, from po-01 to pf-70 not just mint state.....

[theoretically. my po-01 would not be certified though I supplied before and after photos clearly suggesting the coin was a silver walker, and without a discernable date (which was obliterated) encapsulation was refused: an essential pre-requisite for cac consideration. [you are killing me with your lower-case fixation.]

I ended up winning another coin with a CAC sticker on it at an auction from Great Collections last Sunday. It's a 1940 proof 65 quarter. I was very excited. Figured I'd never be able to afford any proof coins before the 1950s. Especially with a CAC sticker. I usually don't go after proof Washingtons but I bidded on that one because it's a little bit older. I actually enjoy them all but staying away from ones after 1950 for now.  I may go after later date proofs after I get my MS set finished. But right now I'm trying to focus on the pre 64 quarters. I made a good friend a promise im gonna finish it and I don't want to make myself out to be a lier. 

On 4/14/2021 at 6:05 PM, Hoghead515 said:

Here's the answer to the guess the grade. Polish_20210414_180330335.thumb.jpg.96c558c856a7f45136dced37a332c4b6.jpg

That is in a very desirable PCGS 2.1 two-piece slab.  The CAC sticker is nice, too.  I have a 1936 Buffalo in a 2.1 graded MS 65 (without the CAC sticker) and I paid $75 for it, at a show.  Nice coin and slab.  (thumbsu 

9 minutes ago, Walkerfan said:

That is in a very desirable PCGS 2.1 two-piece slab.  The CAC sticker is nice, too.  I have a 1936 Buffalo in a 2.1 graded MS 65 (without the CAC sticker) and I paid $75 for it, at a show.  Nice coin and slab.  (thumbsu 

Thank you. I found that one in an auction online. I had been wanting one with a bean on it for a long time. Had been wanting one to add to the collection. Seems every one I ever tried to bid on the price got run way up where I couldn't afford it. I finally bidded on that one and no one out bidded me. I got it for $45.00. I figured there would be no way I would win it but I wanted to try for it anyways. I got on my phone to check it and it said I was the winner. I was very excited to see that. I really like the coin and the holder and all. 

4 hours ago, Quintus Arrius said:

[theoretically. my po-01 would not be certified though I supplied before and after photos clearly suggesting the coin was a silver walker, and without a discernable date (which was obliterated) encapsulation was refused: an essential pre-requisite for cac consideration. [you are killing me with your lower-case fixation.]

i only have one finger n its really hard to hit the shift tab with my elbow.....

3 hours ago, Hoghead515 said:

I ended up winning another coin with a CAC sticker on it at an auction from Great Collections last Sunday. It's a 1940 proof 65 quarter. I was very excited. Figured I'd never be able to afford any proof coins before the 1950s. Especially with a CAC sticker. I usually don't go after proof Washingtons but I bidded on that one because it's a little bit older. I actually enjoy them all but staying away from ones after 1950 for now.  I may go after later date proofs after I get my MS set finished. But right now I'm trying to focus on the pre 64 quarters. I made a good friend a promise im gonna finish it and I don't want to make myself out to be a lier. 

just so long as ur pants dont catch on fire u be ok....