• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1882 CC Vams
1 1

23 posts in this topic

Mr. Anson,

It is a nice Morgan. Someone may be able to but I can’t see them well enough from standard pictures to determine VAM. I have a hard enough time in hand. What I can provide is a great resource if you get into Morgan’s. This listing from VamWorld lists VAMs by date and mint. Gives wonderful diagnostics and pictures. 

http://ec2-13-58-222-16.us-east-2.compute.amazonaws.com/wiki/Morgan_VAMs_by_Date

Strong clashing on both dies. Go to the VAMWorld site (link above) to identify the variety. You might also post the photos on that site's discussion board.

I agree with Bobby it looks like a 3B.  I would not recomend submitting this coin to a TPG, while its very frosty, has lots of luster, and a super nice reverse the obverse has a lot of scuffs and bag marks.   But the real troubling thing is the scratch between the base of the cap toward the M of "UNUM", I think that scratch would result in a details grade.

I agree with coinbuf. First off the coin looks maybe MS63. The mark that coinbuf is referring to is the one under the "M" heading towards the hair. That does not look like a die crack. It may be a scratch on the plastic capsule you have it in. Another thing to note is that NGC doesn't note Vams in grading. They are cool to look at though. I have an 1882 CC Vam 3D. 

Just to clarify NGC will note some VAM's but not all and to have most noted on the slab you have to pay the extra variety fee.  You can find the VAM's that NGC does identify in the grading section on the main page, under the submit/variety section.  Unfortunately I did not see the 1882-CC 3B in the list.