• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Seems like its been ages since we had a guess the grade thread so just for fun...
2 2

41 posts in this topic

11 hours ago, Coinbuf said:

But there are a few held by coin collectors like myself that are still in some long held collections,

I hold a small Wlker run in the 40's with the ACG holders  all crisp white beautiful coins.

Unknown to 99.44% of the membership, I started a journal entitled, "Why I Love NGC,"  Next thing I know, a Ford Tri-motor sprayed my house with paraquat and sharp-eyed neighbors reported seeing a tail number beginning with N followed by five numerals and GC. NONE of this happened of course, but I guess the TPGS I was mocking felt it was incumbent on NGC to stop the crypto-criticism of one of its members.  Again, if it's too early in the morning for this nonsense, my sincerest apologies to Just Bob. P.S. My thread, which was a planned 10-part series, never took off and continues to languish on the drawing boards.

1 hour ago, JT2 said:

All the more reason to purchase the " COIN" instead of the holder!!!!  a job well done!

For collectors of the 16-coin series, French 20-franc gold roosters, this admonition rings hollow.

One half of the series has been locked down by PCGS; the other half by NGC.  As set collectors struggle to complete their respective sets, they have one of two choices: buy raw examples and submit them for certification -- an inherently risky and too often an expensive endeavor what with other countries using a range of grades to describe their coins' condition -- or buy a label sporting the grade they seek, and submitting it for cross-grading with no guarantee their example will pass muster.

Most, understandably, simply give up -- and if anyone doubts that, allow me to direct your kind attention to the appropriate incomplete collections featured by any TPGS' Set Registry.

I persevered and completed my collection, but my nightmare is not over. There is upgrading to consider made possible continually by civilians who have coins they may have inherited, a further compilation of which does not particularly interest them. To the average Rooster collector, "buy the coin, not the label," virtually insures they will join the ranks of those who can only fill half the holes in their collection, or in other words, the vast majority.

1 hour ago, Quintus Arrius said:

For collectors of the 16-coin series, French 20-franc gold roosters, this admonition rings hollow.

One half of the series has been locked down by PCGS; the other half by NGC.  As set collectors struggle to complete their respective sets, they have one of two choices: buy raw examples and submit them for certification -- an inherently risky and too often an expensive endeavor what with other countries using a range of grades to describe their coins' condition -- or buy a label sporting the grade they seek, and submitting it for cross-grading with no guarantee their example will pass muster.

Most, understandably, simply give up -- and if anyone doubts that, allow me to direct your kind attention to the appropriate incomplete collections featured by any TPGS' Set Registry.

I persevered and completed my collection, but my nightmare is not over. There is upgrading to consider made possible continually by civilians who have coins they may have inherited, a further compilation of which does not particularly interest them. To the average Rooster collector, "buy the coin, not the label," virtually insures they will join the ranks of those who can only fill half the holes in their collection, or in other words, the vast majority.

Do u have yours in the registry. Would love to check them out. Those gold roosters are beautiful. One of these days I'm planning to add one to the collection. 

1 hour ago, Hoghead515 said:

Do u have yours in the registry. Would love to check them out. Those gold roosters are beautiful. One of these days I'm planning to add one to the collection. 

I am #1 ranked at PCGS (Rooster Roster) and I believe #9 at NGC (The Herostratus Hoard) but the collector at the #3 spot is the guy to watch. He came out like an asteroid out of nowhere and has a magnificent lineup but ran into the invisible wall all collectors run into trying to complete the first half of their sets (1899-1906). He is very cunning and patient. He obviously won't settle for nothing but the best available. Unfortunately, he will have to engage in cross-grading and become accustomed to paying much higher prices as availability of top-tier coins is low and prices in euros, which must be coverted to USD, is much higher.  Only time will tell. I think it fair to say, regardless of Registry, he is my only competitor and his sneak attack conducted over only two days was remarkable.

2 minutes ago, Quintus Arrius said:

I am #1 ranked at PCGS (Rooster Roster) and I believe #9 at NGC (The Herostratus Hoard) but the collector at the #3 spot is the guy to watch. He came out like an asteroid out of nowhere and has a magnificent lineup but ran into the invisible wall all collectors run into trying to complete the first half of their sets (1899-1906). He is very cunning and patient. He obviously won't settle for nothing but the best available. Unfortunately, he will have to engage in cross-grading and become accustomed to paying much higher prices as availability of top-tier coins is low and prices in euros, which must be coverted to USD, is much higher.  Only time will tell. I think it fair to say, regardless of Registry, he is my only competitor and his sneak attack conducted over only two days was remarkable.

That's awesome my friend. I get off work ill check out your collection. Them roosters are very attractive coins. I enjoy admiring them.