• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Seems like its been ages since we had a guess the grade thread so just for fun...
2 2

41 posts in this topic

[Let's see now, Coinbuf collects nothing but high-quality, upper-tier coins...

I say MS-67 (and am not counting the tail feathers.

Ok, ok. Eight tale feathers.]

Edited by Quintus Arrius
Missing closing bracket

MS64 PL 
8 tail feathers 

I will take a guess at VAM 14.3 doubled reverse. These pics make it hard to see enough for a VAM. Atleast for me. And I can’t even blame it on being old yet. 

Edited by Woods020

MS66 VAM 9A                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                        edit (hellifIknow)        

Edited by ronnie stein
clarify

I just now read thru the comments after I made my guess and say I was already to late to guess. Didn't want to read comments first and base my guess off other people's. 

43 minutes ago, Coinbuf said:

that ACG called it MS66

the self proclaimed very first TPG..  only becasue they lost thier court battle............Money Talks and.............

5 hours ago, JT2 said:

the self proclaimed very first TPG..  only becasue they lost thier court battle............Money Talks and.............

Its rather unfortunate because he really was a very good grader and most of the time he graded coins that others sent to him very fairly, in fact you could say he was rather ahead of his time by market grading back then.  lol

[In trying to research this TPGS, I inadvertently came across a 2005 NGC chatboard thread with two comments from members posted earlier this year:

"ACG Grading. Any information... ?"

To be fair, I never heard of this company or the service it provided prior to Coinbuf's post, and do not have an opinion, one way or the other.  What it has done is peak my interest.

30 minutes ago, Quintus Arrius said:

[In trying to research this TPGS, I inadvertently came across a 2005 NGC chatboard thread with two comments from members posted earlier this year:

"ACG Grading. Any information... ?"

To be fair, I never heard of this company or the service it provided prior to Coinbuf's post, and do not have an opinion, one way or the other.  What it has done is peak my interest.

I've never heard of it before either. I've also found an interest to learn more about it. 

ACG was founded by a fellow by the name of Alan Hager and he founded/started the service in 1984, for comparison PCGS started in 1986 and NGC in 1987.   He was a very skilled grader and won the PCGS grading competition a few times if memory serves correctly.   The problem was that greed took over when he graded and slabbed his own coins/inventory which were very often overgraded by several points, but even more problematic were the problem coins that were given straight grades with no mention of the problems or issues like cleaned or scratched.  He was eventually sued over something and ceased operations in the early 2000's, not sure exactly when.   The early holders were the the ones with photos of the coin in the holder like the one I included in this post, and then in 1986 he switched to the small sized holder I posted for the GTG.

Once in awhile you will see an ACG graded coin for sale at shows or now and again on Ebay, for the most part those are the coins that were the problem coins or overgraded as the vast majority of the good coins have been cracked and moved into NGC/PCGS holders.  But there are a few held by coin collectors like myself that are still in some long held collections, my 1878 8TF coin I bought in 2006, the larger 1901-S photo slab I bought in 2005.

I have 8 or 9 ACG slabs in my current collection, two are marginal for one reason or the other the rest are (imo) nice coins.

1901ds-obv.jpg

1901ds-rev.jpg

Edited by Coinbuf

6 minutes ago, Coinbuf said:

This Washington quarter I purchased in an ACG MS64 holder and subsequently moved to its current NGC holder.

1934qd-Comp Reflection.jpg

That's a very beautiful quarter. Love that light rim toning. Those are the ones I been trying to get for my registry collection if I can find them. I love the looks of light bullseye toning. That's a perfect example. Thanks for sharing that. Compared to some that I have looked at that one looks a little under graded. I bought ms66s that don't look that good. 

1 minute ago, Hoghead515 said:

That's a very beautiful quarter. Love that light rim toning. Those are the ones I been trying to get for my registry collection if I can find them. I love the looks of light bullseye toning. That's a perfect example. Thanks for sharing that. Compared to some that I have looked at that one looks a little under graded. I bought ms66s that don't look that good. 

Thank you sir, I was very happy to add that one to the collection, and nice rim toned coins are still out there.  I bought this one last year and cracked it out of the PCGS holder for my album, I recall paying around $70 for it.

49obv.jpg

49rev.jpg

Just now, Coinbuf said:

Thank you sir, I was very happy to add that one to the collection, and nice rim toned coins are still out there.  I bought this one last year and cracked it out of the PCGS holder for my album, I recall paying around $70 for it.

49obv.jpg

49rev.jpg

That one is a beauty to. What was the grade on it?  There's nothing like that rim toned silver. I love admiring it. 

Here's a couple of my favorites rim toners out of my collection. I've got no real good rim toners yet but I'm on the hunt still. I'll track down a couple before my collection is complete. Seems like just the obverse or reverse will either have it and not both. If you can even call them rim toners. Polish_20210318_113231207.jpg.f236dc3f69228f6298fac62b34b36376.jpgPolish_20210310_190346272.jpg.a043cf332fa183acc6cbe3b64ea73a2c.jpgPolish_20210408_180548068.jpg.fb126de82363692b1cf4ba9a34bbd004.jpg

1 hour ago, Hoghead515 said:

Here's a couple of my favorites rim toners out of my collection. I've got no real good rim toners yet but I'm on the hunt still. I'll track down a couple before my collection is complete. Seems like just the obverse or reverse will either have it and not both. If you can even call them rim toners. 

Those are some sweet coins, that PCGS one I cracked was MS65. :)